Author Topic: Sohh. com talks about behind the scenes beefs with rap stars... being threatened  (Read 231 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG

Comliments of sohh.com
SOHH Anniversary:
You got beef? SOHH will handle that...
Wednesday - September 7, 2005 by Quibian 'Q' Salazar-Moreno
Any media company that's been in the entertainment business for a decade is bound to catch heat, threats and straight beef. Here are some of our most memorable beef stories and what happened behind-the-scenes.

Puffy vs. SOHH
While covering Sean 'Puff Daddy' Combs' 2001 Club NY weapons possession/shooting trial, SOHH.com received a call from Puffy's then-publicist who gave us an earful over what she called our "negative coverage" of the trial. We kindly told her that, until Puffy hit us with some payola, we would continue covering the trial as we see fit. Needless to say, the check's still in the mail.

Death Row vs SOHH
When word leaked out that the LAPD suggested Suge Knight's involvement in the murder of the Notorious B.I.G., SOHH.com jumped on top of the story and spread the word. Apparently the folks at Death Row Records weren't too happy about this and called us with a few choice words of their own. Shook, we quickly removed the story and printed a retraction stating the rumors about Suge's involvement were completely false. To this day, our editor refuses to tell us what Suge's folks said on the other end of the line.

Haha, What more can you expect from him?

KRS vs. SOHH
When the blastmaster got wind of our "Anti-KRS-One Campaign" in response to his 2002 battle with Nelly, he called the SOHH offices and left a 10 minute voicemail threatening to "shut down" the site and "have the entire hip-hop community burn down our offices." The situation finally blew over and we haven't heard from the Blastmaster since.

Terror Squad vs. SOHH
In 2003, a joint by Remy Ma was leaked on the internet with Tony Sunshine on the hook that seemed to make some disparaging remarks about Fat Joe. Being the responsible reporters that we are, we contacted Atlantic Records and TS's publicist to get a comment from Terror Squad about the track. Hours after the story published, TS's man rang us with the rah rah about how they were going to get at us. We let em know that we're Bronx-bred also - so we aint never scurrred! We ultimately published a followup story that Terror Squad was still intact. Still, they never commented on the leaked Remy Ma track.

Nas vs. SOHH
One of the biggest beef's we've ever had was with God's Son himself. In 2002 during an interview about the God's Son album, the QB emcee elaborated on the song "Masterminds," citing Hitler as a person he looked up to among others. When we published it, we caught heat like a Nazi death camp. Nas' publicist tried to strong arm us to change the article and make the Hitler reference "disappear." Mr. Jones later went to other media outlets including Entertainment Weekly, Blender Magazine, BET and MTV and denied he ever made the comment. We kept a stash just in case.

Saigon's Management vs. SOHH
Sometimes, rappers want beef but their management doesn't. We ran an interview with Saigon, in which he said that he'd heard Cassidy's debut album and that it was 'garbage'. The Source's Gotti, who was repping Saigon at the time, called us demanding that we edit the story and remove the comment by Saigon, concerned that it would set off beef between the two rappers. We kindly told Gotti "this ain't The Source and he ain't Benzino!" (not in those exact words, but you get the picture)

Here are some of the most popular hip-hop beefs that we've covered in the last 10 years.

LL Cool J vs. Canibus
LL Cool J versus Canibus was the first major battle since the deaths of Tupac and Biggie. This beef opened the door for a slew or rappers to start going at each other once again.

Nas vs. Jigga
One of, if not, the biggest battle in hip-hop history was between Nas and Jay-Z, two undisputed kings of New York Hip-Hop. SOHH was there keeping track of the latest jabs. Who won? People are still arguing about it four years later.

Jadakiss vs. Beanie Sigel
Although it seemed to start out as a battle between Roc-A-Fella and The Lox, it dwindled down to a heated exchange between Beans and Jada. The battle wound up as one of the best battles that no one ever talks about.

Em vs. Benzino/The Source
Benzino shocked the hip-hop world when he went after Em for seemingly no reason. A few weeks later, Em would tear Benzino a new one and say things about The Source that the Hip-Hop community has been saying for years.

50 Cent vs. Ja Rule
Some say 50 started it with his joint how "How to Rob", others say Ja started it when 50 was stabbed by Murder Inc. affiliates in 2000. Whatever the case may be, it's been an ongoing battle for five years and there doesn't seem to be an end coming anytime soon.

conscious thug

• 'G'
  • CEO of Handsonium Institute
notice with all of those when the people called up and bitched, Sohh was all gangsta and like, "hey, we're not changing SHIT, deal with it"

Then Suge calls up and they're like, "oh my bad!  Let's retract that and clarify some shit!"

lol
"If he don't walk through the front door, I don't play here."

-- Frank Sinatra

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^^ yeah, lol at the Suge thing

and I have to say again, KRS is such a cocky bitch

conscious thug

• 'G'
that was a good read though...didn't know about all the beefs with sohh

-- Frank Sinatra

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
KRS vs. SOHH
When the blastmaster got wind of our "Anti-KRS-One Campaign" in response to his 2002 battle with Nelly, he called the SOHH offices and left a 10 minute voicemail threatening to "shut down" the site and "have the entire hip-hop community burn down our offices." The situation finally blew over and we haven't heard from the Blastmaster since.

:laugh: ;D :D....someone got butthurt

conscious thug

• 'G'
he sounded like Milton from Office Space.   Milton lost his stapler so he threatened to burn the place to the ground. lol

-- Frank Sinatra

Jome

Nas vs. SOHH
One of the biggest beef's we've ever had was with God's Son himself. In 2002 during an interview about the God's Son album, the QB emcee elaborated on the song "Masterminds," citing Hitler as a person he looked up to among others. When we published it, we caught heat like a Nazi death camp. Nas' publicist tried to strong arm us to change the article and make the Hitler reference "disappear." Mr. Jones later went to other media outlets including Entertainment Weekly, Blender Magazine, BET and MTV and denied he ever made the comment. We kept a stash just in case.

Damn, he may thank his father, God, that this story never leaked, sounds like a PR nightmare worse than Benzinos new album.

conscious thug

• 'G'
I wonder why Nas never really came under a shit load of fire for his blasphemy?  Putting himself out there as Jesus, having himself "nailed" to a cross, all the sacriligious imagery.

That always suprised me that the religious groups didn't get up in arms over that.

-- Frank Sinatra

herpes

I wonder why Nas never really came under a shit load of fire for his blasphemy?  Putting himself out there as Jesus, having himself "nailed" to a cross, all the sacriligious imagery.

That always suprised me that the religious groups didn't get up in arms over that.
yes they did, there was a lot of outrage about that

conscious thug

• 'G'
really?  Wow, I musta missed that...

-- Frank Sinatra

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
i wanna listen to that remy ma track caus i dont believe it

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8