Author Topic: bad news for cassidy  (Read 228 times)

One Eyed Willy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • DIPSET
bad news for cassidy
« on: September 13, 2005, 03:12:28 AM »
Cassidy's been sitting behind bars for more than three months — ever since turning himself over to Philadelphia police, who then charged him with the April 15 murder of 22-year-old Desmond Hawkins. Last month it appeared the rapper's days of confinement were numbered, thanks to a judge's ruling that, in effect, reduced the first-degree murder charge to the third degree — thus opening the door, for the first time in two months, to the possibility of parole.

But Monday morning (September 12) a different judge, Court of Common Pleas Judge Benjamin Lerner, slammed that door shut and locked it tight. Lerner decided to reinstate the first-degree murder charge against Cassidy, born Barry Reese, meaning he's going to be spending the foreseeable future in a prison cell awaiting trial. That means at this point, Cassidy's only chance for freedom is an acquittal on all charges.

Last week Philadelphia Assistant District Attorney Deborah Watson-Stokes prepared an arrest warrant for Cassidy, and then, just a few days later, that warrant was executed and the rapper was arrested again for the first-degree murder of Hawkins. He also stands accused of the attempted murders of two other men, with both charges stemming from the same April 15 shooting incident.

Watson-Stokes had appealed Municipal Court Judge Marsha Neifield's August 16 decision to minimize the first-degree murder count to murder in the third (see "Judge Reduces Murder Charges Against Cassidy, Sets Bail at $2.5 Million"). She based her decision on ballistics evidence, which seemed to indicate bullets came from both sides during the April shooting. Police maintain Cassidy and two other men, both of whom remain at large, fired shots on three unarmed individuals, killing Hawkins (see "Cassidy Denied Bail, Booked Into Medium-Security Prison").

Neifield had set bail for Cassidy at $2.5 million. Had Lerner upheld Neifield's decision during Monday morning's preliminary hearing, he would have posted that amount and been released, ending 13 weeks of incarceration. The next step for Cassidy will be a criminal trial, according to Cathie Abookire, a spokesperson for District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham.

Cassidy faces life in prison — and a possible death sentence — if he's convicted on the first-degree charge. According to Watson-Stokes, a jury could ultimately find Cassidy guilty on third-degree murder or manslaughter. "The charge is murder, generally," she explained. "The jury determines what degree of murder it is."

Watson-Stokes said she couldn't characterize the judge's decision as a "victory" for her office. "It's not a victory, it's what's appropriate under the law," she said. "We don't win anything. So no, this isn't a victory. It's what should happen under the law, given these facts. There will be a trial at some point, before a judge or a jury, and the issue will be murder and what degree."

Watson-Stokes said she could not predict when Cassidy's criminal trial would start. A date has not been scheduled as of yet, according to Abookire.

Cassidy's attorney, Fortunato Perri Jr., could not be reached for comment.

GangstaBoogy

Re: bad news for cassidy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 01:08:26 PM »
damn that sucks for Barry. ahh well life goes on
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

EastsideLBC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:14:39 PM »
At the most he will just end up with parole. Its hard pressed to see a some1 with some money get sentenced to 25 to life.

I hope everything goes well for Cassidy.

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 11:20:40 PM »
hELL NA IF THAT DID KILL THAT FOO THAN I BELIEVE CASS SHOULD GET LIFE IN PRISON, NOT DEATH PENALTY. YOU GUYS ARE SAYING HOPE IT ENDS WELL FOR HIM, IF THE PERSON THAT GOT KILLED WAS PART OF YOUR FAMILY I BET MY LIFE THAT YOU WOULDN'T BE SAYING WHAT YOUR SAYING RIGHT NOW. HE DESERVES LIFE IN PRISON AND IM GONE.

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 11:57:50 PM »
hELL NA IF THAT DID KILL THAT FOO THAN I BELIEVE CASS SHOULD GET LIFE IN PRISON, NOT DEATH PENALTY. YOU GUYS ARE SAYING HOPE IT ENDS WELL FOR HIM, IF THE PERSON THAT GOT KILLED WAS PART OF YOUR FAMILY I BET MY LIFE THAT YOU WOULDN'T BE SAYING WHAT YOUR SAYING RIGHT NOW. HE DESERVES LIFE IN PRISON AND IM GONE.
word

1980DRE

• 'G'
  • Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week...
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 12:08:10 AM »
:sign_werd:

swishaSWEET

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 12:43:17 AM »
Cassidy = wack

let that faggot rot in prizon  8)

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 01:00:51 AM »
if he did it then i hope he gets what he deserves

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 01:27:38 AM »
He'll get away with murder.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 02:13:28 AM »
^^^ I dont think so man, for some reason i have a feeling he is finished.  I wish i knew more details about what happened.

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »

you guys are backwards,

when somebody does some gangsta shit , yall go cryin people callin him fag, wack til he really ride on somebody

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 09:56:51 AM »
if he did it then i hope he gets what he deserves

simple as that

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 04:21:39 PM »

wtf is that??
NO MORE WAR

youngmessnucca

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 06:40:18 PM »
cass is sick hope well get to hear some more 16s from him soon

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 06:42:37 PM »
If he is actually guilty. Fuck him. I don't get why you would even put yourself in that situation if your future looks so bright ahead of you, why even take a chance of throwing it all away?