Author Topic: 101 things You didnt know about Rock & Roll  (Read 274 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: 101 things You didnt know about Rock & Roll
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 06:20:59 AM »
There was 20-25 I knew, but the rest was an interesting read.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 07:09:07 AM »
The Led Zeppelin shit is probably just a crackhead hearing what he wants to.

I knew #2

#3 is totally untrue.  It's called "Pet Sounds" because they agreed that the sounds on the album were Brian's favorite instruments, his favorite instruments, his Pet instruments, his Pet Sounds.

#6 I don't know if it's true, but Clapton, McCartney, and Townshend were instrumental in getting Jimi 'recognized'. 

#8 is true

#12 I knew, but it's bullshit.

#16 knew that

#19 Knew that

#21 knew that

#22 knew that

#27 knew that

#31 knew that

#32 knew that

#34 knew that, but it's bullshit

#45 knew that

#49 knew that, but the truck story is probably bullshit.  Elvis did give away tons of cars and trucks, though.

#50 knew that, it's bullshit though.  Still lots of dead 27 year olds out there.

#51 is bullshit.  Jimi was kicked out of the band, but it wasn't because of his dress, it was because of his playing.  Jimi was once in the army, he didn't always dress like a hippy.  It was the 50's. 

#53 knew it

#55 knew it

#62 knew it

#63 knew it

#66 knew it

#73 knew it

#74 knew it

#77 is true

#79 is bullshit.  Bass strings are bass strings.  Any bass strings would play on a danelectro.

#88 knew it

#89 knew it

#90 is true, and according to Quincy Jones, the amp actually caught on fire.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 08:08:23 AM »

#3 is totally untrue.  It's called "Pet Sounds" because they agreed that the sounds on the album were Brian's favorite instruments, his favorite instruments, his Pet instruments, his Pet Sounds.

1. Yes

2. Not necessarily. There are several versions of how the name came up and thereīs none the Beach Boys have agreed on. Carl Wilson, Brian Wilson and Mike Love ALL got different stories and none is the one you just came up with and neither is any of them like the one on that page. We really canīt know how it went down.

I knew a bunch of those so-called facts too, some were interesting to hear about too

Throwback

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 01:52:25 PM »
interesting read. props.

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 02:32:03 PM »
Bery interesting and entertaining. Thanks.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ecrazy

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 02:46:26 PM »
My Favorite -

54. The Sex Pistols were banned almost in every part of the UK, so they started touring under the name SPOT (Sex Pistols On Tour).

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 06:20:28 PM »
My Favorite -

54. The Sex Pistols were banned almost in every part of the UK, so they started touring under the name SPOT (Sex Pistols On Tour).

Ha yer, i've also read elsewhere that they used to get beat up by patriotic Brits..and people think it's hard these days being a punk.

In regards to the article, most of the stuff i didn't know i don't really care for anyway. There were a few that had their descrepencies, for example;
#57 - I don't see how that was possible when the inner notes of Dark Side Of The Moon says it was recorded in between June 1972 and January 1973 and Abbey Road was released in 1969.

#76 - From what i've heard Jimmy Page had to re-learn how to play the solo in Stairway to Heaven after not playing it for years, surely if it was just a filler he'd remember it. Just having a guess but i think they may have got it mixed up with Black Sabbath's Paranoid, because that was originally recorded as a filler in that same year.

There were a few others too, some already mentioned, but either way some of it was a good read, cheers
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 10:39:28 PM »

1. Yes

2. Not necessarily. There are several versions of how the name came up and thereīs none the Beach Boys have agreed on. Carl Wilson, Brian Wilson and Mike Love ALL got different stories and none is the one you just came up with and neither is any of them like the one on that page. We really canīt know how it went down.

First, who are you?  Second, how can you possibly contend that you know shit when it comes to the Beach Boys, against me?  Do you honestly, frankly, think that you know something about them that I don't?  This is insulting to me that you think I'm so fucking stupid I got my story mixed up.  What's even worse is, YOU are the one with your story mixed up.  You're accusing me of what you yourself are guilty of. 

Now, so I can punk you out in public, here's the story from, oh, I dunno, the Pet Sounds LINER NOTES (dumbass).

"On the morning of Feb. 15, the group assembled in the Petting Zoo at the San Diego Zoo for the cover photo session. The photos of The Beach Boys feeding an assortment of goats was a play on the album's chosen title, Pet Sounds. The title came from the idea that the sounds heard on the album were Brian's "pet," or favorite, sounds.

Exactly who came up with the idea for the title is disputed. Brian has credited Carl. Carl, on the other hand, thought it was Brian: "The idea he had was that everybody has these sounds that they love, and this was a collection of [his] 'pet sounds.' It was hard to think of a name for the album, because you sure couldn't call it Shut Down Vol. 3."

Mike also has laid claim to coming up with the title. "We were standing in the hallway in one of the recording studios, either Western or Columbia, and we didn't have a title," he recounted. "We had taken pictures at the zoo and ... there were animal sounds on the record, and we were thinking, well, it's our favorite music of that time, so [I said], 'Why don't we call it Pet Sounds.'"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you'll simply read my original post, I said they all agreed they were Brian's Pet Sounds.  All 3 of the stories above say the same thing, they only disagreed on who came up with the album title.  Nothing I said was incorrect, everything you said was.  If you're going to call me out and disagree with me on something, at least have the intellect to go LOOK IT UP. 

coola

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 02:55:15 AM »
^^ i thought you were gone ?

Don Seer

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 03:12:45 AM »
^ well duh! lol..

#50 the devils crossroads thing was also rumoured to have been made by dylan.. saw part 1 of that new dylan docu last night.. listening to dylan right now actually :)

anyways.. yeah i knew some of em too.. obvious most people will really..

btw lmao #68 what a load of rubbish

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 04:17:44 AM »
Nah Seer the Devil Crossroads legend was definetly Robert Johnson, he predates Dylan by like 30 years.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 05:05:43 AM »
Nah Seer the Devil Crossroads legend was definetly Robert Johnson, he predates Dylan by like 30 years.

eh? i said "ALSO"... meaning that its been rumoured he _also_ made a deal with the devil...

its fresh in my mind  as i watched the first half of that new dylan documentary by martin scorsese on tv last night, the second part airs tonight.. in the UK its on BBC2. i believe in the states its on PBS

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 05:58:58 AM »

1. Yes

First, who are you?  Second, how can you possibly contend that you know shit when it comes to the Beach Boys, against me?  Do you honestly, frankly, think that you know something about them that I don't?  This is insulting to me that you think I'm so fucking stupid I got my story mixed up.  What's even worse is, YOU are the one with your story mixed up.  You're accusing me of what you yourself are guilty of. 

Now, so I can punk you out in public, here's the story from, oh, I dunno, the Pet Sounds LINER NOTES (dumbass).

"On the morning of Feb. 15, the group assembled in the Petting Zoo at the San Diego Zoo for the cover photo session. The photos of The Beach Boys feeding an assortment of goats was a play on the album's chosen title, Pet Sounds. The title came from the idea that the sounds heard on the album were Brian's "pet," or favorite, sounds.

Exactly who came up with the idea for the title is disputed. Brian has credited Carl. Carl, on the other hand, thought it was Brian: "The idea he had was that everybody has these sounds that they love, and this was a collection of [his] 'pet sounds.' It was hard to think of a name for the album, because you sure couldn't call it Shut Down Vol. 3."

Mike also has laid claim to coming up with the title. "We were standing in the hallway in one of the recording studios, either Western or Columbia, and we didn't have a title," he recounted. "We had taken pictures at the zoo and ... there were animal sounds on the record, and we were thinking, well, it's our favorite music of that time, so [I said], 'Why don't we call it Pet Sounds.'"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you'll simply read my original post, I said they all agreed they were Brian's Pet Sounds.  All 3 of the stories above say the same thing, they only disagreed on who came up with the album title.  Nothing I said was incorrect, everything you said was.  If you're going to call me out and disagree with me on something, at least have the intellect to go LOOK IT UP. 

lol, now you got really butthurt. Obviously somebody making a reference to something said about the Beach Boys that doesnīt go like "oh my god Trauma, your so knowledgeable", but simply and merely debating about whether what you said is necessarily true, is too much to digest for you. I never suggested I came close to your Beach Boys knowledge, but what kind of fucking point is that? What would it be like for you if everybody kept riding the fact that you keep making yourself a fool trying to judge hiphop when the name Pete Rock has so far remained a mystery to you? (and yes, you did say that)

now, yes, I know who you are and I know a few things you said, plus I know that you spent a lot of time learning about the Beach Boys and now I know that one canīt even discuss Beach Boys facts with you without getting you butthurt. You first, of course, start the discussion by asking who I am cause youīre about the only member who is oblivious of me posting, which youīre trying to make seem like Iīm a little newbie bitch compared to his knowledgeable royal highness. In the context of this discussion, this makes about as much sense as clowning you for your alleged sexual tendencies: none. You not knowing me doesnīt change shit.

The Beach Boys and Brian in particular are the most important thing in your life, I know that. Iīm sorry for - quote - insulting - end quote - you because I said that your version differs from other versions Iīve read. The fact that you make this out to be a - quote - accusation - end quote - and start to offend me ("dumbass" etc) reveals a lot about you.

And now for that thing they call logic, which seems to be slightly problematic for you....smartass:

It's called "Pet Sounds" because they agreed that the sounds on the album were Brian's favorite instruments, his favorite instruments, his Pet instruments, his Pet Sounds
It doesnīt take a genius to spot a contradiction here and I hope it doesnīt even take more than a Trauma: "They agreed that the sounds were BRIANīS favorite instruments, his pets...." and "there were animal sounds and it was OUR favorite music" is the same? Guess what, itīs not. Loveīs version doesnīt refer to Brianīs instruments being his pets, but to the groupīs sounds being the pets of the group. That is not the same. Now letīs have another look at what I said:

1. I just proved there are several versions
2. I just proved the Beach Boys havenīt agreed. And to quote Rolling Stone (belittle those professional music journalistsī knowledge next time): "Carl and Brian Wilson both give each other credit for the name, Mike Love claims it had been different: ..." (which is followed by the same story you just quoted)
3. None of those versions is the one on that web page, correct, too

Thereīs nothing wrong with my post. Nothing. Neither did it accuse you of anything really. Next time think before you speak and donīt let it get to you like that, you poor paranoid bastard. And stop trying to gloat over your Beach Boys knowledge in such an annoying and ostentatious way, it really makes you look like itīs the only thing to be proud of for you

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 07:02:09 AM »
Brian made the entire album.  They couldn't be Mike's pet sounds, because Brian made *THE ENTIRE ALBUM*.  Mike's *VOICE* is all that appears on it, but yet Brian wrote every song, and well... ALL THE FUCKING SOUNDS.  And don't say "Butthurt" like you want to stick something up my ass you fucking faggot.  There's several versions that say the same fucking thing! Exactly what I said ,the album was named after Brian's favorite sounds, his pet sounds.

The original post said the album was named because Mike hated it, and said "Whot he hell is going to listen to this, the ears of a dog?". 

That's entirely off base, and I proved it, and you defended it.  You're out of your league, back down bitch.