Is Pooh a legend on the west coast?

oh fo sho
23 (50%)
no he aint
11 (23.9%)
A bit of
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: DJ Pooh - a legend??  (Read 455 times)

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
Re: DJ Pooh - a legend??
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 11:25:04 PM »
pooh is definitely a legend.  definitely great.  dr dre has his name on a lot of stuff, but pooh has probably put in more work than dre.  the original west coast sound was largely architected by pooh and the boogiemen.  dre had the ruthless releases, n.w.a. and eazy e, but really that was it.  pooh was all over early west coast acts like king tee, yo yo, del, kam and of course ice cube.  pooh also did some work on the r&b tip as well, at a minimum i know he did some tracks on jade's "mind, body & song".  he also did some tracks on pac's "all eyez on me", people have already mentioned his dogg food and lbc crew work.

dr dre is the biggest name on the west coast now, but that is because he eclipsed pooh in the early-mid 90's.  pooh has branched out more than dre into other areas of entertainment, and definitely remains on par with quik or anyone else people like to call legends.

someone said quik changed the game.  i really don't see how quik changed the game.  imho quik carved out a nice little niche for himself.  pooh shaped the west coast sound (l.a. atleast) in the late 80's and early 90's.  give pooh his due.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 11:29:17 PM »
DEFINITELY A LEGEND!
My Future Wife:

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 11:38:32 PM »
Hell yeah he's a legend..And he was also funny on "The Wash"  ;D

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 01:38:10 AM »
did he ever diss spice 1??

cobra

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2005, 01:59:13 AM »
that nigga was responsible for the first "friday" cube slid wit that but thats why it was never the same.
the first friday is the first and only real hood comedy flick.
he always came thru for snoop when dre wouldn't. beats. beats. hot shyt too!
kept charlie wilson in the loop, all them niggaz was hanging in poohs studio, alot of west coast meetings and colabs started out in poohs studio.
i always talk about that nigga diegoRedd from out of fresno ca, pooh took him to kevin lyles and the meeting was on some other movie shyt or somthing but he knew the kid was hot and real niggaz do real things. if he ain't what you call a legend, he's a real nigga and a very important part to the foundation that this westcoast shyt stands on. i know other people who really know what goes on behind the scenes..know...pooh is what legends are supposed to be.
uno!

Don Seer

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2005, 02:09:49 AM »

Mygla

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2005, 06:57:33 AM »
Not a legend IMO, great producer with a great resume, but no legend... Compared to Dre, he doesn't have his own The Chronic... or Straight Outta Compton or Doggystyle for that sake. Bad Newz Travel Fast is a very good album, but far from classic. It had classic songs, but much of the album were average at most (IMO).

And his movie-career is overrated...he wrote all the Friday films,the first one was classic, second was good, third was wack... and he wrote and cirected 3 Strikes and The Wash, both pretty bad movies.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Today Was A Good Day is an amazing beat? It's hella overrated, New York, New York, When We Ride, No Idea, Nowhere To Hide, Whoop Whoop, Act A Fool ++ are all much better beats IMO...

My conclution, Pooh is a extremly talented muthafucka who's done many classics, but no legend...

All in my humble opinion of course  ;)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »
Today was a good day was a COMPLETE loop though...if you hear the original Isley Brother's song, then you'd be like wtf......he REALLY didn't do a single thing to it but loop it, I don't even know if he added drums to it or EQ'd it.

Aside from that...it just depends what your definition of "Legend" is. There are the legends that are given that title because of the strong effect they've had mainstream wise with what they do, and because everybody knows who they are and recognizes them. Then there are those who were more less behind the scenes legends, where many people may have heard their name, but don't really know all that they did until they see the resume, and then they realize that they were doin major shit behind scenes. Pooh is more of the second type of legend than the first.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »
ok if it wasnt him then there was some poohman or some weird guy im not too familiar with that dissed speecy, im just curios

Diggfinger

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 10:53:05 AM »
that nigga was responsible for the first "friday" cube slid wit that but thats why it was never the same.
the first friday is the first and only real hood comedy flick.
he always came thru for snoop when dre wouldn't. beats. beats. hot shyt too!
kept charlie wilson in the loop, all them niggaz was hanging in poohs studio, alot of west coast meetings and colabs started out in poohs studio.
i always talk about that nigga diegoRedd from out of fresno ca, pooh took him to kevin lyles and the meeting was on some other movie shyt or somthing but he knew the kid was hot and real niggaz do real things. if he ain't what you call a legend, he's a real nigga and a very important part to the foundation that this westcoast shyt stands on. i know other people who really know what goes on behind the scenes..know...pooh is what legends are supposed to be.
uno!

yeah agree. I think he is a legend aswell. He also seems real cool and down to earth when you see him in videos and such.

Friday and The Wash were also the shit 8)