Author Topic: Is College Dropout A Classic Yet?  (Read 383 times)

Elevz

Re: Is College Dropout A Classic Yet?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 02:05:15 AM »
Classic? Not even close. It's just a good album, not even that special. There's better albums out these days. Also, I thought Late Registration was better, and that album really didn't deserve the XXL rating it got. Influence-wise... Well, College Dropout definately dropped a bomb on the rap industry. Did it really change rap music dramatically though?

1.Jesus walks
2.Through the wire
3.Get 'em high
4.Family business
5.All falls down

Just nice. People need to stop abusing the term "classic". If this album is classic, then so is Get Rich Or Die Tryin' and Nelly got classic albums too. Please...

The most recently dropped album that could be considered classic would be "Be", but we'll have to see how that one stands the time test. Other than that, I think 2001 was the last classic album we got? Not saying there hasn't been really good music out ever since, but they just shouldn't be considered classics.

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 09:33:12 AM »

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 09:41:42 AM »
fuck i hated all those songs you mentioned, iunno Kanye has good production but his flow and rythym of his lines/lyrics bore me to death; case in point

"You sweat her, and I ain't talkin 'bout a Coogi
You a big L, and I ain't talkin 'bout Cool J
See me at the airport, at least 20 Louis"

that line makes me go (@&#($&@_)%$8

but i dont mind kanye as a producer, no not at all.....hmm i havent been able to sleep well these past couple of days maybe i should listen to kanye ahh yess that'll help me sleep gooddd 

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 01:31:05 PM »
LOL @ CLASSIC

Well, i don't even bump any songs from College Drop out..when was it released ???

^^thats how much of a classic it is  ::)

Get Em High i listen to it about 3-4 months ago
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 01:38:30 PM »
It will never be a classic.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »
It's a good album but classic? No.

I see the standard for classic albums keeps dropping precipitously.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Active Ingredient

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • wake up in tha mornin with my lucky charms cereal
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 05:00:09 PM »

"I keep it gangsta for the kids" -Goldie Loc

mauzip

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 05:23:13 PM »
I wouldn't call it a classic, but it's definately an amazing album... that track with Luda shouldn't have been released at all though :-X

But I still think Late Registration is better than The College Dropout ;)

Diabolical

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 05:28:14 PM »
Why isnt it classic? because it was made in 2004?

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 05:35:17 PM »

By saying it's classic, you're saying this album is on par with Doggystyle, Straight Outta Compton, Chronic, Criminal Minded etc. It's not on that level ar far as music quality and impact. It is a good album but not on that level. Also it takes time for an album to be determined a classic. It has to stand the test of time.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

2nd ROund KnockOuT

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 09:21:35 PM »
classic get better over time
this album gets annoying over time

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 07:57:53 AM »

^i thought the opposite, i thought it has gotten better over time. when i first heard it i didnt feel it as much as now

By saying it's classic, you're saying this album is on par with Doggystyle, Straight Outta Compton, Chronic, Criminal Minded etc. It's not on that level ar far as music quality and impact. It is a good album but not on that level. Also it takes time for an album to be determined a classic. It has to stand the test of time.

i'd go as far as saying its as good as those. it didn't have the same impact but musically its damn near up there. you cant really compare their sounds anyway cause music sounded so different back then, but I look at College Dropout as todays Doggystyle.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:59:54 AM by Lil Jay »
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Bigg $amo

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 02:39:09 PM »
hell no

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 03:32:23 PM »
LOL...Last time I regularly visited the music sections was around the time "College Dropout" out dropped, and now I know why. "College Dropout" classic? What a shame...

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 10:03:09 PM »

^i thought the opposite, i thought it has gotten better over time. when i first heard it i didnt feel it as much as now

i'd go as far as saying its as good as those. it didn't have the same impact but musically its damn near up there. you cant really compare their sounds anyway cause music sounded so different back then, but I look at College Dropout as todays Doggystyle.

I don't want to sound like a hater, Kanye West is one of the best new producers out there and he is getting better but come on. There is nothing on College Dropout that has the complexity of a track like The Shiznit. The drum sequencing, the bassline, the chimes, chords and the flute, just listen to it. College Dropout had plenty of good songs but next level shit? That's what Doggystyle was. Dr. Dre was doing things no one had ever came close to doing at that time. Rhthymalism had next level shit. Things Fall Apart had next level shit. Chronic 2001 had next level shit. College Dropout was a good album but it's not next level shit.

Like I said earlier, the standards for calling an album classic is plummeting rapidly.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels