Author Topic: WARREN G is off Universal Records  (Read 1170 times)

Tito

Re: WARREN G is off Universal Records
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2002, 02:22:29 AM »
Take A Look Over Your Shoulder iits a tight album,his second best album.I Want It All was well promoted,and went platinum....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Big_Loco_FME

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2002, 02:33:59 AM »
Does anyone else see a pattern?
-warren signs to label
-says he has a great deal, artistic control, etc etc
-album sells poorly
-warren blames label, says he has bad deal, no control etc etc

Its been that way since his second album - 3 different labels. LOL not tryna hate on dude, but c'mon, how many times can you blame the label and the deal. Ever hear of learning from mistakes?

Plus Universal is a great label, if you aint selling on there, its your own fault. I think warren's album was promoted as well as most mediocre rap releases are these days. Point is it didnt sell because it wasn't that good.

Antonio

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2002, 03:00:48 AM »
Hi. You know i'm a Warren G fan, so i'll not talk about the quality of his works. But look... Regulate sold almost the same in US and in Europe. Warren G made his best concerts in Europe. "Take a look over your sholder" was made while he was on tour in Europe. And i can go on and on. In Italy it's prattically impossible to find his last album in small/normal cities, i've never seen a Warren G video on MTV Italy, or in other italian music channels, i've never heard a Warren G track on the radio (only 1-2 times, in a rap show, in a radio)... so... ok... i'm a fan and i got the album, but.. 90% of italians who knows Warren G just know him for Regulate. Not cause it was the only good track Warren G made, but cause they played the video a lot here, and it was hot! Same with I Shot the sheriff! So it's all about promotions (if we talk about sales!).

Shit.. they released his first CD Single last month, months after the release of the album (usually they release singles first!!). He got just 1 video. 1 Single (the others are just promos for radio).. Nothing like that! I remember back in the days the single for Regulate went platinum!!

Where's all this shit/promotion?

Then, if we talk about quality... opinions are still like assholes, so.. who cares? I got my review of his last album, u got yours.

Antonio

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2002, 03:08:20 AM »
Does anyone else see a pattern?
-warren signs to label
-says he has a great deal, artistic control, etc etc
-album sells poorly
-warren blames label, says he has bad deal, no control etc etc

Its been that way since his second album - 3 different labels. LOL not tryna hate on dude, but c'mon, how many times can you blame the label and the deal. Ever hear of learning from mistakes?

Plus Universal is a great label, if you aint selling on there, its your own fault. I think warren's album was promoted as well as most mediocre rap releases are these days. Point is it didnt sell because it wasn't that good.

Two replies:

1) You obviously dont know shit about Warren's situation. I mean.. he was even having problems to exit from Restless! He made trials and trials, lawyers worked a lot for him... it wasnt exactly a great situation. About Universal... first of all the news is not confirmed yet, second Warren G said in a lot of interviews that he had love for Universal cause they contacted him and they asked him to join the label. And they offered him a lot of support. But he said that he wanted to start a CEO career one day. Maybe he made the money to do it and he wanna try it now. Warren wanted to make a Record Label with Mista Grimm. Maybe it will be a sub-record label of Universal. Dont speculate about rumors. Dont judge till you know the full story.

And he didnt blame nobody, so dont write bullshit. If he isnt satisfacted about Universal.. he got rights to find another label. What's your problem? But... we are talking about rumors, not about FACTS! There are no interviews of Warren G about it, the Universal site still got him listed in the roster and i havent seen this news nowhere. So let's wait for the news to be official and let's wait for a Warren G and Universal interview. Judge when u know facts.

2) Ja Rule sold millions. Is it because of quality? Or because of promotion? Man.. they both important! Even Pac without Death Row sold 1 million. With Death Row and with promotions (of the media, of journals, of the NY Shooting, of the rape case, of Death Row, etc..) sold 10 millions!! You know what i mean? They both importants for sales! Not for quality, but for sales!

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2002, 03:29:56 AM »
kvb- i don't know how much you understand about business, but with the proper advertising and right promotion, you could put a piece of shit in a box, label it gold, and sell it to the general public. promotion had EVERYTHING to do with his sales flop. i ain't hatin or nothin those are just facts. peace

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2002, 03:31:17 AM »
Personally sales don't mean shit to me, Warren's album is fucking dopeness, one of the best hip-hop LP's to drop last yr imo & it deserved to sell alot more. Some of the people I know that used to love Warren back in the day didn't even know he dropped 'The Return Of The Regulator'.....& i'm pretty sure if it was promoted right & 'Lookin' At You' was pushed this album would of blown up by now. Universal don't deserve Warren & I hope he gets picked up & treated well this time, he's been messed around so much in the past, it's a joke. I hope this situation doesn't put him of making music anymore, because we'll be the ones missing out.  

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2002, 03:49:54 AM »
Point is it didnt sell because it wasn't that good.

www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2002, 03:57:18 AM »
Point is it didnt sell because it wasn't that good.

That's not really a valid point though is it, I mean Warren's album was doper than a grip of albums that pushed mad units last yr, for example: Ja Rule. When it comes down to it most of the time sales don't mean shit, they don't represent quality, if they did 'Illmatic' would be on of the greatest selling hip-hop LP's ever released, but was it? no.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Big_Loco_FME

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2002, 04:45:20 AM »
Ja Rule's album was dope. It had a lot of commercial appeal and catered to a wide audience of people who actually still buy albums, that's why it sold well. I didnt like Ja at all before this album, but he changed my mind. Music & promotion, him and Murder Inc got it locked right now.

Warren is still making music for 1995 imo. Its cool if you like that, but dont complain if nobody else does.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2002, 04:53:00 AM »

Warren is still making music for 1995 imo. Its cool if you like that, but dont complain if nobody else does.

The fact that SOME people don't like it is not why i'm 'complaining', it's just ALOT of people never got to hear of it because of lack of promotion & bad marketing. Believe me Warren's album has mass apeal & i'm pretty sure if people actually got to hear about it & copped it they would love it.
Thats what I think anyways.

Funkadelic

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2002, 06:39:56 AM »
He should sign to Doggystyle. It would be the best when all DPG are back under one label again. I'm pretty sure that their music would be better again... But I'm also sure that this won't happen.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2002, 06:46:23 AM »
damn i dunno what warrens gonna do now man, i mean even though dres his half rbo n shit i cant see him goin onto aftermath, nor dogghouse and i doubt anyone else will wanna take him on after this album failure, even thought i thought it was aiight. i reckon he'll probably go independen or quit.............he'll probably sign wit tha row,lol j

peace

KVB

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2002, 06:48:44 AM »
damn i dunno what warrens gonna do now man, i mean even though dres his half rbo n shit i cant see him goin onto aftermath, nor dogghouse and i doubt anyone else will wanna take him on after this album failure, even thought i thought it was aiight. i reckon he'll probably go independen or quit.............he'll probably sign wit tha row,lol j

peace

His career is ruined... just like Jayo Felony's.

Another west coast MC bites the dust...  :-/

Antonio

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2002, 07:47:42 AM »

His career is ruined... just like Jayo Felony's.

Another west coast MC bites the dust...  :-/

Man shut up! If you think Warren G's carreer is ruined just cause the sales of his last album aint that good.. then you a fool! What about Nas then? Or Snoop with The Wash OST and with Doggys Angels etc? What about ALL the West Coast releases of 2001? Everybody with a ruined carreer? Shit.

You dont like him or his last album, and it's clear. And i accept it, of course. But stop writing bullshit, and bullshit, and bullshit. Snoop made a lot of bad releases on Doggystyle, but still he's there! Same with Dre (who remembers Dre Presents The Aftermath?). Same with Daz. Same with Nate (who really got his last album OG? lol! I bet just 2-3 of you..). So.. everybody with a ruined career?

Warren G made a good album. Not his best, but.. still a good album (probably the 2nd best of 2001. In the top 10 for sure!). The problem is not of Warren G. The problem is of the West Coast rap and of the record labels who aint spending money on (West Coast non exposed) rappers no more (like they used to do back in the days). That's the reason why we have record labels spending millions to make videos for Ja Rule and a lot of NY wack rappers. Just cause they got the attention of the media, of MTV and of young fans (expecially from Europe).

Warren used to have a GREAT promotion. Let's say the truth! He sold millions because of singles/videos like Regulate and I Shot The Sheriff. And What's Love Got To Do With It. Videos that everybody saw on MTV and everywhere! (the singles went even platinum i think). So it's all about promotions. No more videos played on a regular base on MTV? No more platinum hits! Clear as fuck. This is how it works, man! Simple. Then you can judge a whole album and compare it to his first one, and write that probably the 1st is still his best one. But that's another fact. 99% of the guys who buy rap albums just buy them because of a famous single/video. Warren chosed the wrong video and it didnt even make MTV here in Italy. So what the fuck do u want more from him?

Like u can see... it's all about promotion!

Look at Knoc. He's famous just cause he made a damn video with Dre. And they played it everywhere. And now you all wanna buy his album.

U know what i mean?

PROMOTION.

Antonio

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2002, 07:48:34 AM »
he'll probably sign wit tha row,lol j

peace

Actually DR offered him a contract, back in 1999. Just to let you know. LOL!  ;)