Author Topic: Paul McCartney "writes" new song with the late George Harrison  (Read 132 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
McCARTNEY AIRS NEW SONG 'WRITTEN' WITH HARRISON #1798
Jul 26, 2005 Source: contactmusic.com

SIR PAUL McCARTNEY claims he wrote a song for his new album with the help of GEORGE HARRISON - even though his former BEATLES bandmate died from cancer in 2001.
The 63-year-old felt Harrison's presence with him when he pieced together WAITING FOR YOUR FRIENDS TO GO so strongly, he still doesn't feel like he wrote the track by himself.

McCartney says, "I just got this feeling, this is George. I was like George - writing one of his songs. It just wrote itself very easily because it wasn't even me writing it.

"I thought, OK, the 'waiting on the other side' is also a little bit loaded, it can be crossing the river Jordan or whatever, that sort of thing. There's a little bit of double meaning there.

"It was funny, particularly the second verse - 'I've been sliding down a slippy slope, I've been climbing up a slowly burning rope'. I just thought - it's a George song."

McCartney's new album CHAOS AND CREATION IN THE BACK YARD is scheduled for release this autumn (05). (September 12th)

On that note, I heard Paul's new single Fine Line, and it was great. Looks like a good one's coming.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Paul McCartney "writes" new song with the late George Harrison
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 07:41:15 AM »
nobody ever replied to this,so i will, cool story, but i believe it, and that album by paul is dope.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 07:48:18 AM »
Honestly, I didn't care too much for the new Paul album. I've always loved Paul's solo work, I even loved the last couple albums he put out. Flaming Pie might be my favourite album of his, and Run Devil Run and Driving Rain were excellent. But this one, I'm not so sure. I like it more than the first time, maybe I need to give it some more listens.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:22:12 AM »
english tea, jenny wren and fine line are def amazing

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 03:57:09 PM »
Too Much Rain, How Kind of You, and Followe Me are my favorite tracks on the album.  I like the album a lot actually

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 09:29:16 PM »
I think it's a very strong album, the best he's done since the 70's.  I liked Flaming Pie and Run Devil Run, but didn't like Driving Rain hardly at all.  I like the 'revolver' vibe on this album.  English tea, Jenny Wren, Too Much Rain, there's a lot of great songs on there, we are living in the presence of a legend.  When we're all 60 and sitting around listening to people talk about how great this album is, it'll seem crazy that the brilliant Paul McCartney ever really walked among men.  I'm serious, I don't think his contribution to music and even the pop culture can be overstated, he's an extremely special human being.  We are watching the modern day equivalent of Mozart, and he's on television giving interviews and running around the world performing for people.  It's all kind of unbelievable to me.

As for the 'writes' with George thing... Ringo Starr has said in the past that the reason his relationship with Paul is 'strained' (they're of course friends and everything but they don't talk much) is that Ringo feels Paul always teases a Beatles Reunion to sell his latest album.  He feels like Paul uses him all the time "Oh, never say never" or "Ringo's on the album!" and what Paul's saying here about George fits the mold Ringo is talking about.

Personally, I think Paul is pretty egotistical, but it would be hard to not be egotistical when you truly ARE the man.  He is the greatest pop musician alive, more successful than anyone at what he does, and one of the 5 or so most famous people in the world.  I think all in all he's a pretty nice guy, with an unbelievable talent to write songs that people like, nothing more, nothing less, and that he'll never be forgotten. 

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 05:27:25 PM »
hey, wen george was alive, did Paul, ringo and him ever record or perform anythign together???

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 07:14:53 PM »
hey, wen george was alive, did Paul, ringo and him ever record or perform anythign together???

Free As A Bird, Real Love. Plus they jammed together on the anthology recordings, you can see them in George's backyard all together.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 06:22:31 AM »
Yeah, that's about all they ever did with all 3 of them. 

When they split up, things were really nasty because they didn't have much liquid cash and eventually sold the rights to all of their songs to help disolve their company. 

Paul dissed first by putting a picutre of a Beatle having sex with another Beatle on the back cover of his ram album.  (A little bug on top of another bug).

Then, Ringo released an album called ugh... "ringo" which had all 4 of them on it, but on different songs.  Paul wrote a song with Ringo and sang on it, John wrote "Im' the Greatest" and Ringo sang it, and Ringo & George performed "Photograph". Good album by the way. 

Then John recorded a song called "How Do You Sleep?" on his Imagine album, which was a scathing diss of Paul.  "Those frieks was right when they said, you was dead" shit like that.

John & Paul apparently met sometime about 1976? or so, and jammed in the studio for several hours, I'm pretty sure you can get a bootleg of most of that.

Sometime around all of that, too, John got kicked out of the house by Yoko, and moved to L.A., where he shared an apartment with Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, and Elton John.  Yikes. 

John was shot in 1980, and all the other Beatles fell to pieces basically.  George wrote a great song called 'All Those Years Ago" about him, and Ringo wrote a song too.  Somebody interviewed Paul they day that John was shot, and he looked like he couldn't believe it, he just kept saying something like "It sucks, you know? What can I say?"

All 3 of them appeared at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction Ceremony in the late 80's, and when they took the stage Paul held the trophy above his head and said with tears streaming down his face "You finally made it, John!"

In 94 or so they reunited to do the Anthology, and were given 3 demo songs by John to complete, received from Yoko.  They finished "Free As A Bird" by having Paul double John's weak vocals from the original, trying to mimic John's voice, and having Paul & George sing bridges in the song, with everybody adding heavy layers of instruments to hide the poor quality of the original demo and John's piano on the original.  It sounds nothing short of beautiful if you ask me.

For the Second Anthology, they did the same thing to another Lennon demo, "Real Love".  "Real Love" had already been released as a demo from John's collection and the song wasn't quite as incomplete as "Free as a Bird" so it was easier to work on.  John's vocal was much stronger too, so Paul didn't have to double the entire thng. 

They worked on a third demo for the third anthology, but never released it, feeling that they weren't happy with the noise level on the demo.  The song sits somewhere, apparently with work on it by all 3 Beatles.  There's been recent talk of releasing this song in some form, as a tribute to both George, AND John.

After they did the Anthology, Ringo appeared on Paul's 1997? album "Flaming Pie" on two songs... "Beautiful Night" which Ringo sang with Paul and played drums on, and "Really Love You" basically a Jam with Paul & Ringo.

Ringo apparently got upset over something Paul said somewhere, I dunno so their relationship was strained.

George gets stabbed by an intruder into his home, and both Paul and Ringo visit him, and make public comments about it...

Paul releases a poetry book, with a poem called "The biggest asshole alive" or something like that, about Chapman, the guy who shot John. 

George dies of Cancer a few years past that, and both Paul & Ringo visit him on his deathbed (sad, sad stuff). 

On the 1 year anniversary, they held one of the greatest concert events of all time, "Concert for George" in the Royal Festival Hall in London... Paul & Ringo performed on stage virtually the entire time together, alongside Dhani Harrison, George's son who looks IDENTICAL to George in the 70's.  Unbelievable concert.

Paul also tributed George on his "Back in the U.S.A." live album a year or two later, by performing "Something" on Ukelele in front of every city.   George abandoned his guitar in the 90's, and worked with his new favorite instrument, the Ukelele on his last album, "BrainWashed". 

That's all the stuff I know of that they did in respect to each other.