Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 301772 times)

Tha A

• 'G'
  • when it was good to be a knick
Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #7500 on: October 15, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »
just wanna ask nik or other lakers fans out there, why the lakers don't retire michael cooper's jersey?

cooper aint a hall-of-famer, homie...we aint the celtics, we don't just hand up anyones jersey...there's a ceratin criteria u gotta meet to have your jersey hangin up in staples. being a hall-of-famer is one of them...not to take anything away from michael cooper and even byron scott, cuz on any other team, no doubt they'd both have their jerseys up there..they were some great players and were integral pieces of the greatest team ever, imo...but still, that's not enough, by our standards.

I like that rigorous criteria though, you gotta be one of the best to be there. it's also true that the celtics hang up too much jerseys ;D, which is a nice way to pay homage to some players though. I asked it because I caught something about him on the tv and I remembered that you looked at that skinny guy like he can't stop no one but when he stepped on the court it was like he was never tired and he would contain the best, made such ridiculous defensive plays, just a beast defensively. offensively he was average at best bringing energy off the bench but defensively I remember him being so damn great, byron was a good piece too but the lakers really needed cooper's defense many times. about that being the best team ever I just have to say that people say that the 96 bulls are the best team ever without a doubt due to their record but I don't see them beating teams like the 87 lakers or the 86 celtics in a 7-game series, even think that the first 3peat team might be better, hard to tell though, but yeah, the showtime lakers were just ridiculous.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #7501 on: October 19, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
Magic Johnson sells his stake with the Los Angeles Lakers

Magic Johnson sells his stake with the LA Lakers

Hollywood Florida 10/19/2010 07:41 PM GMT (TransWorldNews)

Magic Johnson recently sold his 5% stake with the Los Angeles Lakers for a whopping $35 million.  TMZ reported that this sale was made yesterday from a sky phone.  Magic Johnson purchased his share of the Los Angeles Lakers in 1994 for a reported $10 million dollars.  The reason of the sale is related to Johnson’s desire to purchase the Detroit Pistons.  We will have to wait and see!

http://news.wooeb.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=608623&cat=6

Traitor! >:(

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #7502 on: October 19, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
Los Angeles Lakers Player Shannon Brown Gets Engaged To R&B Singer Monica
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:46:22 AM by GD ( Leave a comment )

By Gina Gomez
Shannon Brown EngagedOct 19, (THAINDIAN NEWS) It seems that Los Angeles Lakers player Lamar Odom is no longer the only basketball star who can boast of having a celebrity girlfriend. If recent reports are to be believed then Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard Shannon Brown has got hitched to much-acclaimed R&B singer Monica recently. The reports of the “Boy Is Mine” singer getting engaged to the basketball player was fueled after Monica posted a picture of her flaunting a dazzling engagement ring on her finger on the micro-blogging site Twitter.

Sources close to the couple have divulged to media outlets that the Shannon Brown and the 29-year-old R&B singer have been in a romantic relationship for the past few months after the two met for the first time in the sets of one of her music videos. It can be recalled that the 24-year-old Los Angeles Lakers player edged the role of the musical artist’s love interest in the video of her hit track “Love All Over Me” and love is said to have blossomed between the two while the video was being filmed. In the meanwhile, Monica noted in her profile on Twitter that people are bound to have their own opinions but added that her real supporters would indeed be happy for her.

However, the “Everything to Me” singer is not known to be very lucky when it comes to love. Her childhood sweetheart Jarvis “Knot” Weems took his own life at the beginning of her career while her former boyfriend , rapper C-Murder is spending time behind bars for murder conviction. Moreover, the singer is also known to have parted ways with longtime beau Rodney “Rocko” Hill few months ago.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/sports/los-angeles-lakers-player-shannon-brown-gets-engaged-to-rb-singer-monica_100446556.html

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #7503 on: October 19, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »
HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs - Jorge Sierra
Derek Fisher: “I’m hungrier than ever about winning the ring”

October 19, 2010 @ 12:28 pm by Jorge Sierra

How was that pitch by the Heat? How close were you to signing with them?

Derek Fisher: (With) the Heat as well as other teams I spoke during the summer, it was a process that I enjoyed. I got a chance to work my way through a lot decisions and priorities, but at this point of my career I still feel being on the Lakers, being in L.A., it’s just the best place for me. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Pat Riley and the Miami Heat organization.

How do you say ‘No’ to Pat Riley? He looks like such a convincing guy if you look at what he did this summer…

DF: (Laughs) Saying ‘No’ to Miami and other teams was really not as much about saying ‘No’ to them as much as was saying ‘Yes’ to my teammates and my relation with Kobe Bryant, saying yes to the city of Los Angeles and the fans… Saying ‘Yes’ to what we’ve built there, recognizing we have a team that can win the championship again this year, and hopefully more championships to come. So I didn’t really view it as a ‘No’ to other teams, it was more a resounding ‘Yes’ to Los Angeles.

How much of a distraction during the season is being the president of the Players’ Association. Does it take some of your focus away from playing?

DF: No, it won’t take my focus away from playing. I’m a very focused and disciplined individual. I wouldn’t consider it more taxing or challenging than raising children at home. That is probably a more challenging thing in my life. I’m committed to my team, but I’m also committed to the players as a whole, and I feel confident that I’ll be up to the balance them and still be able to play well on the court.

As far as athleticism, do you think the Lakers can keep up with a team like the Thunder, for exmple?

DF: If it was track and field, I would say ‘No’. But since it’s basketball, I think we can figure out ways to be effective against any team. Oklahoma City is one of those teams that will be back, but if we play the game the right way, it doesn’t really matter who else is good or talented or athletic. At the same time, there will be teams like Oklahoma City, Portland, Dallas, Denver (depending on what happens with Carmelo) that will be very good. It’s gonna be just as challenging or more of a challenging season that we had in the last couple of years.

Are you as hungry now about winning compared to those years when you hadn’t won any ring?

DF: No question.

Still the same?

DF: More.

Why?

DF: Being successful in life is never really about obtaining something and that being the goal… The goal really is the journey and I continue to be a part of this great journey on the Lakers, where winning a championship it’s not the aim result. It’s about sustaining excellence, it’s about being a champion as many times as you can. We have the chance as a team to be champions this year.  There won’t be anything in regards to NBA basketball that will take precedent over winning another title this season. That’s just how bad I want it, and I think everybody on our team feels the same way.

Robert Horry won a lot of rings too, but once he was asked if he would trade his career for Charles Barkley’s. And he said ‘Yes’. Would you do that, change the titles for having that superstar status that Barkley enjoyed?

DF: Nooo. Nah. I wouldn’t. Robert has seven rings, so if I have the chance to win eight, then I’d give one back to maybe have one season like to be a superstar. That would be about as far as I would go as far as giving up the rings.

Which job would be most appealing to you when you retire? Would you like to be an executive, head coach…?

DF: I’d rather be an executive at this point. There’s some things that could continue to help push the game in a positive way from an executive position.

But working for the league or for a team?

DF: I would say more from a team perspective. Being involved into key decisions, not just personnel-wise in terms of talent and players, but some larger things in terms of the type of culture and the way an organization should operate. Those are things that interest me more than coaching right now.

Is that more a ‘Yes’ on being an executive or ‘No’ to the coach life?

DF: It’s a ‘Yes’ to the executive thing. I would like to spend more time in Los Angeles at home. From an exectutive position, I think I would travel less being an executive than being a coach or a scout and would spend more time with my family.

Read more: http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2010/10/19/derek-fisher-im-hungrier-than-ever-about-winning-the-ring/#ixzz12rH4rPxV

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #7504 on: October 30, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
They need to sit D fish's old flopping ass down and cut his minutes. Steve Blake needs to start imo

Sccit

« Reply #7505 on: November 02, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
^Fisher's been good, I dunno why u trippin, son

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #7506 on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
^Because Steve Blake is beastin'. But Fisher should remain the starter. He's a leader and sets the tone for the team. Blake should play more minutes, though.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #7507 on: November 05, 2010, 02:18:35 AM »
fishers been having a better preseason and season start than last year, as long as you dont give him wear and tear minutes theres no reason for him to be degraded to the bench or cut down his minutes. give him the minutes while hes still physically able to do so, we have him till hes 39 given hes not traded or retires. (id assume hes gonna retire as a laker)

he makes clutch shots period, he has been since i can remember, without his clutch shots we wouldnt win as many games as we did, i rather have fish pull up for a clutch 3 in crunch time rather than blake imo. even though blakes an exceptional shooter also.

man but we 5-0 BABY!!!!!!!! we beastin cant wait till bynum comes and gets into form. my god we're fucking deep. barnes puttin up points and gettin boards, odom being extremely efficient, blake able to lead the bench and produce plays and hit outside shots.  thats some shit if we dont get a 3peat.

lol we gonna rock the raptors tomarrow might as well say 6-0

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #7508 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Fish really looks a year older and hes a huge liability on defense, great for drawing the charge but against the speedy guards of the western conference just doesnt possess the lateral quickness to keep up with the tony parkers, russell westbrooks. Once Steve Blake learns the o and gets his head around the triangle he should start, and Ideally Fish should come off the bench and get inserted with 1 minute left in the 4th quarter

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #7509 on: November 05, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
Fish really looks a year older and hes a huge liability on defense, great for drawing the charge but against the speedy guards of the western conference just doesnt possess the lateral quickness to keep up with the tony parkers, russell westbrooks. Once Steve Blake learns the o and gets his head around the triangle he should start, and Ideally Fish should come off the bench and get inserted with 1 minute left in the 4th quarter

fish isnt a kobe, he cant just turn a switch on, he needs to be warmed up. when we do play speedier guards of course have blake defend them and get the bulk of the minutes especially if their beating him on defense.

as long as PJ is still the coach fish isnt gonna go to the bench

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7510 on: November 05, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »
Kobe in the new Call of Duty Black-ops trailer along with Kimmel

"There's a soldier in all of us"

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Sccit

« Reply #7511 on: November 05, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »

Fish hasn't been bad on defense thus far this year...you guys got Joel Anthony in your starting line-up, man, wtf u talkin about? Fish has been beastin this season, as he did in the Finals.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7512 on: November 14, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
What's up niggas, can't D the 3pt-line?  ;)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sccit

« Reply #7513 on: November 18, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »
^Current Laker team>Every Mav all-star in the history of the NBA compiled on one team.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7514 on: November 19, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
^Current Laker team>Every Mav all-star in the history of the NBA compiled on one team.

:raisetheroof:
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin