Author Topic: PS3 won't play used games?  (Read 455 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: PS3 won't play used games?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2005, 07:50:13 AM »
First of all....you didnt post a source
Second of all....Its a rumor

Didn't I clearly say it's a rumour?  Go find the story for yourself dipshit, I dont' need to post a link, my word is golden. 

... and Listen Large, to you Nintendo may be a non factor, but as of this quarter, they're the only company making consoles in the world that's profitable.  Microsoft hasn't turned 1 penny since launching the X-Box, and Sony is hemmoraging money left and right, even with the release of the PSP.  the Nintendo DS (which most people see as a gimmick) is outselling the PSP week after week in the united states, and outselling it by 300% in Japan.  Of the  home consoles, the Gamecube is selling far less than the playstation or xbox, but making much more money, because it's business done smart.   So don't expect them to go anywhere anytime soon.  Peace~

To avoid confusion why don't you say Nintendo's gaming division is the only game division of all three company's that is making a large profit at the moment? Clearly Sony and Microsoft as companies make a lot more money than Nintendo and have a lot more money to spend supporting their gaming divisions. It would also help if you mention that Nintendo doesn't make a dime selling their home consoles. Both Sony and Microsoft are too big and to powerful to abandon the video game market given the number of systems sold they have and number of software sales. Microsoft looks to be in it for the long haul and Sony is currently in between profits. Everyone knew (including Sony) that the first couple quarters of the PSP the gaming division wouldn't make much money, and the same goes for the beginning stages of the PS3. It takes money to make money. If Sony isn't beating in profits Nintendo 2 quarters after the PS3 is released then they have to start making changes, but I can't see that happening.

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 10:35:18 AM »
That shit is absurd and not happening. Take it easy.

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 06:12:25 PM »
ud be a sucka if u even believed that rumor

OP

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 12:34:29 AM »
Would be fucked up if it is true, say your PS3 breaks, you get a replacement and none of the games work.
Exactly. You'd have to buy all your games again.
That would be enough to really piss somebody off.

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 04:45:29 AM »

Didn't I clearly say it's a rumour?  Go find the story for yourself dipshit, I dont' need to post a link, my word is golden. 

... and Listen Large, to you Nintendo may be a non factor, but as of this quarter, they're the only company making consoles in the world that's profitable.  Microsoft hasn't turned 1 penny since launching the X-Box, and Sony is hemmoraging money left and right, even with the release of the PSP.  the Nintendo DS (which most people see as a gimmick) is outselling the PSP week after week in the united states, and outselling it by 300% in Japan.  Of the  home consoles, the Gamecube is selling far less than the playstation or xbox, but making much more money, because it's business done smart.   So don't expect them to go anywhere anytime soon.  Peace~

To avoid confusion why don't you say Nintendo's gaming division is the only game division of all three company's that is making a large profit at the moment? Clearly Sony and Microsoft as companies make a lot more money than Nintendo and have a lot more money to spend supporting their gaming divisions. It would also help if you mention that Nintendo doesn't make a dime selling their home consoles. Both Sony and Microsoft are too big and to powerful to abandon the video game market given the number of systems sold they have and number of software sales. Microsoft looks to be in it for the long haul and Sony is currently in between profits. Everyone knew (including Sony) that the first couple quarters of the PSP the gaming division wouldn't make much money, and the same goes for the beginning stages of the PS3. It takes money to make money. If Sony isn't beating in profits Nintendo 2 quarters after the PS3 is released then they have to start making changes, but I can't see that happening.

So, to avoid confusion, I have to remind people that i'm talking about Microsoft's game division, and Sony's game division?  How is that confusing to anybody?  Of course I'm talking about their games, you think i'm going to tell people that Nintendo's making more money than Bill Gates or Sony Pictures?  Don't be the bitch you always are.  Fight your instinct, and just admit the truth.

Also, lets talk about your statement "Nintendo doesn't make anything on their home consoles".  that's not true.  They clearly don't sell anywhere near as many as Sony or Microsoft, but once again, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.  Nintendo, at the launch of the Gamecube, was making a profit on the hardware... everytime they sold a gamecube, profit.  Microsoft was losing large amounts of money with every xbox sold, and Sony was losing large amounts of money with every Sony sold.  Only recently, by cutting the price all the way down to 99 dollars and including a game, is Nintendo losing money on the hardware sales, and it's about 8 bucks a system.  Microsoft is losing over a hundred dollars every time it sells an Xbox, and Sony is similar.  Nintendo has a much smarter, more conservative business plan, and like it has before with tons of other companies, in the end, it will pay off. 

On top of this, Nintendo's sales of their own titles for the Gamecube are huge.  They make a ton of money off the gamecube, you just don't wanna fuckin' believe it.  Nintendo is the #3 home hardware company in the world, and the #2 home software company in the world.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  That's NOT counting any portable sales, of which, of course, they've ran the market for the past 20 fucking years.  Suck a Dick~

Bomb-A®

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 06:37:40 AM »
will never happen....game rentals are big revenue earners

peace

blonde_opie

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2005, 08:54:22 AM »
will never happen....game rentals are big revenue earners

peace

yeah, for the rental stores.... not for the game makers......... the more i think about this, the more i realize how true this could be!

ThatSICCNESS

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 09:48:30 PM »
Rumours going around that Sony is considering using a new technology it just patented... which makes games only playable on the original system they were played on.  For example, if you bought a new PS3 game, and played it brand new on your system, the game would not be able to be played on any other system besides that one, from then on (it uses blue disc technology that burns a small data file on the disc id'ing it).

If they do this, I swear to god I will make it my mission to never buy anything with the words Sony on it. 

There's no way they're this stupid, but then again, they just patented the technology.  Why patent it if you're not going to use it?  Not only would this alienate people borrowing games, people having parties and bringing their games over from their houses, people renting games, and people buying used games, but it might even be illegal. 

Wait till word of this gets out, they need to deny the FUCK out of this rumour, especially right @ Microsoft's launch... people waiting to buy a ps3 instead of an xbox would have to be suicidal to sign on to this kind of bullshit. 
That would suck

Trauma-san

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 06:54:51 AM »
... and no comment, or denial, from Sony yet. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 08:52:56 PM »

So, to avoid confusion, I have to remind people that i'm talking about Microsoft's game division, and Sony's game division?  How is that confusing to anybody?  Of course I'm talking about their games, you think i'm going to tell people that Nintendo's making more money than Bill Gates or Sony Pictures?  Don't be the bitch you always are.  Fight your instinct, and just admit the truth.

Also, lets talk about your statement "Nintendo doesn't make anything on their home consoles".  that's not true.  They clearly don't sell anywhere near as many as Sony or Microsoft, but once again, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.  Nintendo, at the launch of the Gamecube, was making a profit on the hardware... everytime they sold a gamecube, profit.  Microsoft was losing large amounts of money with every xbox sold, and Sony was losing large amounts of money with every Sony sold.  Only recently, by cutting the price all the way down to 99 dollars and including a game, is Nintendo losing money on the hardware sales, and it's about 8 bucks a system.  Microsoft is losing over a hundred dollars every time it sells an Xbox, and Sony is similar.  Nintendo has a much smarter, more conservative business plan, and like it has before with tons of other companies, in the end, it will pay off. 

On top of this, Nintendo's sales of their own titles for the Gamecube are huge.  They make a ton of money off the gamecube, you just don't wanna fuckin' believe it.  Nintendo is the #3 home hardware company in the world, and the #2 home software company in the world.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  That's NOT counting any portable sales, of which, of course, they've ran the market for the past 20 fucking years.  Suck a Dick~

Just so we're clear are you saying that if you take just the PS2 sales and related software sales and how much Sony has made off that and you compare it to the Game Cube and it's game sales that the two profits would be anything other than a strong win for Sony? I'm not talking abouyt a quarter here and a quarter there. I'm talking the entire system run up to this point.

Jome

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 09:36:30 PM »
Well, Sony have said numerous times that Blu-Ray will be backwards compatible with DVD, so it would be kinda strange to block PS2-games when it's such a big selling point, and when it can play DVD's, I'm pretty sure it can play PS2-games as well..

But it seems like MS is halfway doing the same.. you have to buy the most expensive X360 to play old games, and you have to install a emulator program on the harddrive to be able to play the old games.. and all the titles will not be supported. Xbox games isn't supported in the hardware, even if both systems is based on DVD..  :-\

Also, you can't use your old saved games on the X360, you have to start over again..

Note: A software emulator is required for each original Xbox game you play on your Xbox 360™ console. Please check back for more details as we approach the launch date.