Author Topic: Celtic would welcome Keane talks  (Read 155 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Celtic would welcome Keane talks
« on: November 18, 2005, 09:35:49 AM »

Celtic would welcome Keane talks 

Celtic have expressed an interest in signing Roy Keane after the 34-year-old midfielder's surprise departure from Manchester United.

Keane has previously said that he would like to end his career at Celtic Park.

A Celtic spokesman expressed admiration for the ex-Ireland captain but said "as yet there have been no discussions".

However, he added: "If at any time Roy would like to speak to us about his future and Celtic's, we would be only too happy to speak to him."

Celtic had refused to comment about Keane when he was linked with the Glasgow club in September.

But, responding to the news from Old Trafford, the spokesman said: "Roy Keane was a magnificent player and servant for Manchester United, but he also knows all about Celtic."

Such a statement will go down well with the club's support, but Celtic may already know that the chances of turning that desire into reality appear remote.

Celtic would be doing well to match a quarter of the £90,000 per week or more that Keane earned in wages by the end of his 12-year spell with the English club.

Those who know Keane suggest that money would not be his main motivation and that he has turned down big-money offers in the past.

And, while Celtic already face competition from Portsmouth, he has said previously that he could not see himself playing for any other club in the English Premiership.

However, his concern would be the lack of competition provided by some of the lesser clubs in the Scottish Premier League and his sights may instead be on the vacant Republic of Ireland manager's job.

Keane officially left Old Trafford on Friday by mutual consent, although sources suggest it was a result of a bust-up with manager Alex Ferguson.

And Lisbon Lion Jim Craig has questioned whether Celtic boss Gordon Strachan would want Keane at Parkhead given his age, recent injury problems and troublesome personality.

"He has more experience than all the players, he is a Champions League winner, but you have got to ask is he the same Roy Keane at the height of his powers? The answer to that is no," said Craig.

"Is he able to play even a third of the season through injury? He has not been able to do that with United. Will things get any better next season and thereafter?

"Will he also be a disruptive influence behind the scenes? He occasionally was at Manchester United.

"Will he also take a considerable drop in wages from what he has been on?"
NO MORE WAR

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Celtic would welcome Keane talks
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 11:12:03 AM »
A strange one, not sure if Celtic would benefit signing Kean.  If Keane was to go to Celtic what would happen to Lennon?  Could they play them in the same team and thus drop Petrov/Nakamura? or would the captain be dropped whenever Keane would be fit?

Mac 10 would you take Keane at Parkhead? think that he would be a good signing if he did agree to come & no doubt take a huge cut in wages?

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:17:20 PM »
i think he would be a great signing but he would only be here for 2...3 years absolute maximum.

personally i dont like the guy...he always seemed to me to come off as an arrogant wank

the way he walked out on ireland i still haven't forgiven him for

but considering uve seen him sitting at ibrox during an old firm game shows his commission and passion for the club

in conslusion: i hate the guy...but you cant knock his past and the fact he is one of the top5 ever midfielders to play in the premiership

even tho he has lost a lot of his pace, he could do lennon's job and prolly better (even tho it pains me to say that coz i love Lenny)

but he could EASILY play at SPL level and he would DEFINATELY take a huge pay cut to play for us so it would be a great signing for Celtic.
NO MORE WAR

Jome

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 12:24:39 PM »
Funny how every newspaper & TV station show Keane's insane "tackle" on Alf Inge Håland when they talk about Keane, it's the way he will be remembered.  :D

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 12:26:56 PM »
that wasnt the pic from where i got the story  lol

i searched for that one coz thats how i remember him

and ill never forget he did that to Haaland considering HE tried to snap Haaland in the original case and ended up injured

and he took revenge out on Haaland for his own stupidity
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:29:20 PM by Mac 10 »
NO MORE WAR

Jome

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 12:31:43 PM »
Yeah, it ended Håland's career as well..
Funny how Keane said in his book, that he wanted to "Take out Håland" because of something that happened years ago, Keane is a sick man..  :grumpy:

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 12:43:03 PM »
that wasnt the pic from where i got the story  lol

i searched for that one coz thats how i remember him

and ill never forget he did that to Haaland considering HE tried to snap Haaland in the original case and ended up injured

and he took revenge out on Haaland for his own stupidity

Yeah, totally agree. The incident that got Keane injured was pretty much all his own fault, and then he ended Haaland's career because of it. He definitely has some issues.

Woozie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Hail! Hail!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 01:59:30 PM »
roy keane is a man utd legend however he is not the player he used to be - he is extremely injury prone these days...

personally i like him however i am undecided if i want him at celtic park - i think a deal might have been done already though; some people have got keane and the #16 on the back of their celtic tops!!!  :o

he always went in strong in the tackle which was part of his game and when he injured himself after trying to tackle halaand, halaand was shouting at him to get up and stop play acting so i would have wanted to get halaand back too...

im not a man u fan however i loved watching roy keane play at the peak of his game. his autobiography was the most honest book i have ever read and the media couldnt help themselves with running his name through the mud.

only reason he walked out on ireland at the world cup is because mick mccarthy is a dumb prick basically and from what keane said in his book i would trust roy keane over mccarthy any day.

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 02:05:29 PM »
Id have him in a second but only as a player/coaching role, like Lambert last season. Play 4 us while gettin his coaching badges, although it would have 2 b an incredibly reduced wage if he was 2 do that. I love Roy Keane, think the man is a legend, will always give 100% 4 the cause. But like Mac 10 said a while back...Fuck Roy, WE WANT ROBBIE!!

The Maestro

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »
Keane is 1 arrogant cunt just like Fergie.

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 02:43:35 PM »
Keane is 1 arrogant cunt just like Fergie.

fact.
NO MORE WAR