Author Topic: wats with all the remakes  (Read 262 times)

Trauma-san

Re: wats with all the remakes
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 07:32:35 AM »
??? wtf? this shit is killin me, im sure the producers will be cool, but i dont see the point of it, people need to see the original movies, ugh, ....  and superman??? etc... niggas need some creativity.

Superman has be redone and changed so many times since he was created. And this movie isn't a remake even, it's a new Superman story. It's about Superman returning to Earth after seeing Krypton. Batman Begins was a retelling of Batman but it was needed since Burton did such a great job of going over the top and making Batman look like a goof in his 2 movies. He took the Batman that had finally gotten serious after 50 years and turned it into a circus. Then in part 2 he turned it in Beetlejuice.

Besides, making new movies with comic book characters is fine. It's when you remake real movies that it becomes stupid. Like if someone tried to remake Forrest Gump.

Rumours for years that they're going to do Gump 2.

I don't feel Burton was the one who harmed Batman, I think the first two movies yes weren't dark but they were both good.  The third and fourth movies were the shitty ones that caused the damage. 

I don't mind them making new movies based on old characters or sequels, I just get pissed when they remake the exact same fucking movie.  Oceans 11 for instance.  While it was a great movie, it had already been done.  Oceans 12 was a joke, too killing my 'sequels are alright' argument. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 09:20:36 AM »
Here are some cool movies that have been remade, IMO

-Angels in the Outfield
-Vanilla Sky
-Cape Fear
-Gone in 60 Seconds
-The Mummy
-The War of the Worlds

I havent seen it but a lot of people really liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factor.  You really have to eliminate the not so good ones when it comes to remakes, but hey thats pretty much with any type of film

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »
I'm not even sure that my adversion is to remakes, just to the lack of original movies.  I would be fine with them remaking older movies, as long as it was an appropriate part of their release schedule... but shit anymore it's like 80% of movies are either sequels or the exact same movie as something that came out in the 60's.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
i love it.
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 06:38:46 PM »
??? wtf? this shit is killin me, im sure the producers will be cool, but i dont see the point of it, people need to see the original movies, ugh, ....  and superman??? etc... niggas need some creativity.

Superman has be redone and changed so many times since he was created. And this movie isn't a remake even, it's a new Superman story. It's about Superman returning to Earth after seeing Krypton. Batman Begins was a retelling of Batman but it was needed since Burton did such a great job of going over the top and making Batman look like a goof in his 2 movies. He took the Batman that had finally gotten serious after 50 years and turned it into a circus. Then in part 2 he turned it in Beetlejuice.

Besides, making new movies with comic book characters is fine. It's when you remake real movies that it becomes stupid. Like if someone tried to remake Forrest Gump.

Rumours for years that they're going to do Gump 2.

I don't feel Burton was the one who harmed Batman, I think the first two movies yes weren't dark but they were both good.  The third and fourth movies were the shitty ones that caused the damage. 

I don't mind them making new movies based on old characters or sequels, I just get pissed when they remake the exact same fucking movie.  Oceans 11 for instance.  While it was a great movie, it had already been done.  Oceans 12 was a joke, too killing my 'sequels are alright' argument. 

My qualms with Burton's Batman was it was very quirky compared to what Frank Miller and Allan Moore were doing in the comics. They reinvented Batman and then Burton comes in and talks about how he was pating tribute to the new dark Batman, but it was nothing like the work he was "inspired" by.

And a Gump sequel wouldn't piss me off. A gump remake with some new actor like Orlando Bloom or Ashton Kutcher for the sake of a cash grab would really get on my nerves. Just like how the new Ralph Kramden played by Cedric bothered you and me both.

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 08:50:42 PM »
I saw King Kong tonight.  It was actually very good. 

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 04:17:55 AM »
Here are some cool movies that have been remade, IMO

-Angels in the Outfield
-Vanilla Sky
-Cape Fear
-Gone in 60 Seconds
-The Mummy
-The War of the Worlds

I havent seen it but a lot of people really liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factor.  You really have to eliminate the not so good ones when it comes to remakes, but hey thats pretty much with any type of film
charlie and the chocolate factory looks rubbish and people i know who saw it said it sucked. the origional is a classic its not even worth remaking it

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 05:10:29 AM »
alfie and thomas crown affair are both good remakes, i gotta check out the original movies tho, and vanilla sky was mentioned, wat was the name of the orignial movie???

MIC

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2005, 06:02:04 AM »
alfie and thomas crown affair are both good remakes, i gotta check out the original movies tho, and vanilla sky was mentioned, wat was the name of the orignial movie???

"Abre Los Ojos". It was made in Spain, if I'm not mistaken.
Another excellent remake: Scarface 8)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 06:03:59 AM by MIC »

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2005, 07:01:28 AM »
The thing is, even the best directors are now doing it, i.e. Scorcese's new flick is a remake of the asian film Internal Affairs. Admitably its looks like it's gonna be good, and it has Ray Winstone in it (always a good idea), but when even people like him are remaking stuff it starts to get quite annoying.

"Scarface" wasn't really a remake, the first film was about Al Capone in New York, they just took the essence of that film and translated it to cocaine dealing in Florida, which for me is how it should be. The film could quite easily have been called something else, and you wouldn't have even imagined it being a remake, it was simply inspired by another film.

The ones that really annoy me are like Gus Van Sant's version of "Psycho" which was shot by shot exactly the same as Hitchcock's. What was the point in that? It was similar with the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake as well.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2005, 07:04:30 AM »
i actually like the texas chainsaw remake, i thought the original sucked

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2005, 07:41:53 AM »
I don't like either of them, but the new one is just the same film, shot in pretty much the same way, but with more attractive women and better effects.

MIC

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 08:51:12 AM »

"Scarface" wasn't really a remake, the first film was about Al Capone in New York, they just took the essence of that film and translated it to cocaine dealing in Florida, which for me is how it should be. The film could quite easily have been called something else, and you wouldn't have even imagined it being a remake, it was simply inspired by another film.

Not really. Apart from moving the action to Florida and making the main character Cuban, 1983 Scarface has basically the same plot (updated, of course) with some characters, scenes and dialogue lines copied directly from the original.
And I don't know why you mention Al Capone and New York - wasn't he from Chicago?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »
Martin Scorecese has already done a remake.  Cape Fear came out in 1991 and that was a remake of the movie that was done in 1962.  He's also done a sequel, lol.  The Color of Money which is a sequel to the Hustler. Im not annoyed by remakes nowadays compared to what I was before. 

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2005, 12:32:44 PM »

Not really. Apart from moving the action to Florida and making the main character Cuban, 1983 Scarface has basically the same plot (updated, of course) with some characters, scenes and dialogue lines copied directly from the original.
And I don't know why you mention Al Capone and New York - wasn't he from Chicago?

Chicago!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008