Author Topic: Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #39  (Read 282 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #39
« on: December 17, 2005, 09:46:12 AM »
P o r t i s h e a d

DUMMY
(1994)

Portisheadīs "Dummy" is what many fans of electronic music tend to call the "most beautiful sound ever made". Singer Beth Gibbons spends most of the album meandering through a pool of dark sounds with her beautiful, pain-stricken voice. Her fragile singing and melodramatic lyrics intertwine with the frightening eclectic post-techno beats so well, Portishead defined a whole genre. Trip-Hop music - often referred to as the "Bristol sound" - was taken beyond the comparatively easily listenable melodies of Massive Attack (who would come up with a re-defined sound in 1998, cf album #50) and the genre had its new heroes.

"Dummy" is a intimidating record and might today be the most important classic of electronic music ever. The brutal hopelessness of songs like "Roads" or "Sour Times" is something almost no one ever came close to putting into music again. Well, maybe Portishead did. The band - which officially still exists today - has made just one more album, called simply "Portishead", which is almost as critically acclaimed as the debut, if less influential.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #39
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 10:01:24 AM »
Not a fan of electronic music, but thanks.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 10:05:56 AM »
her voice is 1 of my fav female singers ever, its nuts, ill def peep this whole album.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 10:57:46 AM »
^^ yeah, her voice is the shit

but do you like bands like Radiohead? You should give this a try, itīs not the dance-type of electronic music and melodically this album is just plain beautiful and hella atmospheric

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 11:07:11 AM »

but do you like bands like Radiohead? You should give this a try, itīs not the dance-type of electronic music and melodically this album is just plain beautiful and hella atmospheric

Not a fan of Radiohead either. I'll give it a listen though.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 11:10:48 AM »

Not a fan of Radiohead either. I'll give it a listen though.

yeah ok. Itīs kinda like an earlier form of some of Radioheadīs post-OK Computer stuff to me, which I love personally (duh). Might not be your cup of tea, but you might like some of the melodies and sounds

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
Props...and I love radiohead with a passion

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 04:19:50 PM »
did u ever hook up that massive atack album?

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 08:03:15 PM »
Props...and I love radiohead with a passion

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 03:02:16 AM »
props

electronic music is the genre I really never knew shit about

it's a blessing we have you overall music heads here

keep it up

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 02:37:53 PM »
is this like YOU"RE all time favorite albums of all time , or a non bias greatest albums of all time list

cuz i like this album but i'd never put it in an all time top 50

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 03:44:56 PM »
Amazing album, Beth's voice just hits me somewhere that other singers can't, I've lost count of how many times me and my mates have got ridiculously high whilst listening to this album.

coola

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 07:09:51 PM »
i'll check it out..

coola

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 09:24:11 PM »
just realised i've ehard this album... my sister loves this shit... it's well produced and over all a great album... but damn its depressing...

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 07:51:26 AM »
is this like YOU"RE all time favorite albums of all time , or a non bias greatest albums of all time list

cuz i like this album but i'd never put it in an all time top 50

Itīs the 2nd time you say this and itīs the 2nd electronic album in my list. It is considered an overall top 50, but, which I have stressed a bunch of times already, not biased towards stuff that doesnīt have that gloriful 60īs-70īs-golden-age flavor, because that is the bias I dislike about most of those lists. But even Rolling Stone, who are definitely biased, had this in their top 100...