Author Topic: yeah....the clippers need to move back to san diego  (Read 278 times)

WestCoasta

Re: yeah....the clippers need to move back to san diego
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 01:41:23 PM »
Things can easily change, look how the angels took over what used to be dodger central: LA
took over?  I'm sure there are more people in the ACTUAL Los Angeles City limits that like the Dodgers  ::)

just cuz pussy frontrunner fans wanna jump to a team and the owner names the team after another city in another county, doesn't mean they took over L.A.  :laugh:

and the Clippers wll never be the #1 basketball team in L.A. even if they win a championship  :laugh:

ecrazy

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 04:21:44 PM »
^^Well, that's completely overexaggerated. I think what he means is the buzz is the greatest it's ever been, but the Laker tickets are still WAYYY more valuable and Laker games are WAYYY more intense (the Laker crowd is usually just more sincere)...

tickets will almost always be more valueble for the Lakers, thats a given. but you gotta remember the whole hollywood aspect too. id be willing to bet theres more actual clippers FANS at the Clippers game...then there is Laker FANS at the Laker games. its popular to say, "im goin to the Laker game tomorrow night". Who the fuck goes out and looks for Clippers tickets? lol ONLY if youre a fan.
true, thats how my dad used to get buisness contracts, he'd take clients to a laker game, dine and get them to sign.....Its a hollywood team, all the stars and buisness bigshots go their just to go there, i bet they dont even follow basketball ,Clipper games are for the fans though

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 06:41:26 PM »
^^Well, that's completely overexaggerated. I think what he means is the buzz is the greatest it's ever been, but the Laker tickets are still WAYYY more valuable and Laker games are WAYYY more intense (the Laker crowd is usually just more sincere)...

tickets will almost always be more valueble for the Lakers, thats a given. but you gotta remember the whole hollywood aspect too. id be willing to bet theres more actual clippers FANS at the Clippers game...then there is Laker FANS at the Laker games. its popular to say, "im goin to the Laker game tomorrow night". Who the fuck goes out and looks for Clippers tickets? lol ONLY if youre a fan.

You're wrong...People who aren't fans are more likely to buy Clipper tickets if they're just going to see a game, seeing as the tickets are so much cheaper and they wouldn't care for the team playing...Also, lots of Clipper tickets are given out for free at charities, games, schooling events etc. so most of the people going to those games aren't even basketball fans at all...Can you seriously tell me that when you watch Clipper homes games vs. your Spurs that they cheer harder and take it more seriously than when it's a Laker home game? Hell no. I can tell you from experience, there is a lot more energy in downtown LA when there's a Laker game at Staples then when there's a Clipper game...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »
My 2 cents

As long as I've been in California, there have been Clipper fans, and Angel fans, because there are people, especially in Cali, who go against the grain. The Clippers will have fans who just hate the Lakers, people who are tired of hearing about them. LA is so big, it can offer an alternative.

BUT, unless the Clippers win the title, they will never outsell the Lakers. Even now, the Dodgers outsell the Angels, and the Angels had a better year and won the World Series a few years ago, and almost made it again. The Clippers are nowwhere near that. To have a bigger fan base in LA, there would have to be a few things happen, like the Clippers winning the NBA title, and I would say do it with Shaq, plus the Lakers go broke and move to the LA Sports Area, or back to the Forum, and finally the Clippers need a 5 year winning streak against them.

This is coming from an Angel fan waiting for the Angels to be more popular than the Dodgers. Maybe everywhere else, as in the IE you see some Angel hats and you have some Angel fans, BUT in LA, there is nothing like the Dodgers, who play next to Downtown and are basically part of the LA culture. The Clippers play there, but it's the Lakers who are part of the culture.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 06:55:59 PM »
My 2 cents

As long as I've been in California, there have been Clipper fans, and Angel fans, because there are people, especially in Cali, who go against the grain. The Clippers will have fans who just hate the Lakers, people who are tired of hearing about them. LA is so big, it can offer an alternative.

BUT, unless the Clippers win the title, they will never outsell the Lakers. Even now, the Dodgers outsell the Angels, and the Angels had a better year and won the World Series a few years ago, and almost made it again. The Clippers are nowwhere near that. To have a bigger fan base in LA, there would have to be a few things happen, like the Clippers winning the NBA title, and I would say do it with Shaq, plus the Lakers go broke and move to the LA Sports Area, or back to the Forum, and finally the Clippers need a 5 year winning streak against them.

This is coming from an Angel fan waiting for the Angels to be more popular than the Dodgers. Maybe everywhere else, as in the IE you see some Angel hats and you have some Angel fans, BUT in LA, there is nothing like the Dodgers, who play next to Downtown and are basically part of the LA culture. The Clippers play there, but it's the Lakers who are part of the culture.

Great post man. 

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 08:04:24 PM »
My 2 cents

That sums it up right there. I'm a Laker fan because I was born into a Laker household and I've been rooting for them since I was a little kid watchin Magic and Norm Nixon, Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Kareem etc. I started rooting for the Angels around '87 when Wally Joyned and Devon White joined the team.

If you're looking at the city of LA itself, LA has and always will be a Dodgers/Lakers town, I don't see that changing. I live in Orange County and I've lived here since '87 (which is when I started rooting for the Angels) and the angels support here is way ahead of the Dodgers support,  and I believe that's the same for the inland empire and maybe some LA suburbs south and east of Los Angeles. Also there have always been a few people that have rooted for the Clippers here and there but their fanbase is nowhere near as large as the Laker fanbase. The only way that will change is if they bring home the championship like the Angels did.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 08:16:48 PM »
yeah... the Angel's fan base outside of LA is getting huge. The OC is of course Angels and the IE is like 50/50. Of course LA is more Dodger, but still. The Clippers can't win in the LA market, it's too strong. It will take years of winning and the Lakers becoming the Clippers.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 11:57:33 AM »

You're wrong...People who aren't fans are more likely to buy Clipper tickets if they're just going to see a game, seeing as the tickets are so much cheaper and they wouldn't care for the team playing...Also, lots of Clipper tickets are given out for free at charities, games, schooling events etc. so most of the people going to those games aren't even basketball fans at all...Can you seriously tell me that when you watch Clipper homes games vs. your Spurs that they cheer harder and take it more seriously than when it's a Laker home game? Hell no. I can tell you from experience, there is a lot more energy in downtown LA when there's a Laker game at Staples then when there's a Clipper game...

how many average bandwagon fans would you say are at any given Laker game...compared to any given Clipper game?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 01:41:06 PM »

how many average bandwagon fans would you say are at any given Laker game...compared to any given Clipper game?

If you go to a Clipper home game against the Lakers, it's basically a Laker home game...Don't get me wrong, there are some hardcore Clipper fans out there who are dedicated, but a Laker game is way more uptempo, energetic, the city just gets into it more, downtown LA lights up when there's a game...A Clipper game can be dank too, but it doesn't get nearly the same hype. I'd say 70% of fans at Clipper games are Laker fans...Laker games, everyone cheers for the Lakers, it's LA's biggest team...It's just uncomparable...