Author Topic: DMX Has Left Def Jam  (Read 407 times)

J2K

DMX Has Left Def Jam
« on: December 20, 2005, 03:28:05 PM »
DMX Leaves Def Jam; Signs With Sony Music
Monday - December 19, 2005

DMX, who is currently serving a 70-day jail sentence for driving with a suspended license, has left his longtime recording home of Def Jam and is headed for a new ground.

According to MTV News, once the Yonkers native is released from jail, he is Sony Music bound, where he has reportedly signed a deal.

DMX has cut all ties with Def Jam after hinting earlier this year that Jay-Z's new position at the label has put a strain on their relationship.

The rapper was previously signed with Columbia (which is now part of Sony Music) back in the early '90s, but after recording for the label, his music never saw the light of day.

X has released five #1 albums for Def Jam including his quadruple platinum debut, It's Dark and Hell is Hot, in 1998. The rapper had stated in the past his frustration with Def Jam and was supposedly retiring after his last album, The Grand Champ was released, but it seems he has had a change of heart.

The rapper's new Def Jam album, Here We Go Now, was scheduled for release earlier this year, but has since been put on indefinite hold.

— Allen Starbury

(From http://www.ballerstatus.net/news/read/id/15755606/)

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
Re: DMX Has Left Def Jam
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 04:15:42 PM »
best of luck to him...hopefully he'll release sum good shyt

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 04:21:19 PM »
hopefully he wont smoke crack

ABN

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 04:26:57 PM »
he smoked the most crack in his life when recorded his first album so.........

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 04:40:21 PM »
what did he do? try n paint his face white, pretend he was lyor cohen, then force executives at gunpoint to give x more money? cuz i really wouldnt put it past him

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:48:49 PM »
Sony music dun fucked up.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »
So is def jam going to release "Here We Go Again" and do kinda like what Death Row did to Kurupt with "Against The Grain" or is he going to record all new music and release it on sony?

'DsR'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 05:19:11 PM »
he smoked the most crack in his life when recorded his first album so.........

thats true... hopefully he can smoke crack and CONTROL him self (not doing stupid stunks like pretending to be FBI)

"fuck under tha influence im hella fucked up, swervin down the freeway spillin my cup"

J2K

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 07:56:46 PM »
I just hope he keeps bringing good music , and if u look on limewire , theres some songs from an album called "Here We Go Again"  , but i dont know if these are released or what...

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 03:47:22 AM »

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 04:22:25 AM »
i wondered why his album never came out! man u gotta stop this smokin crack thing who cares!
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

MIC

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 04:35:02 AM »
I remember reading an article about DMX in XXL around the time his previous album came out. He was so fucked up all the time he would fall asleep in the studio, miss tv appearances, radio interviews, he would end shows after performing one or two cuts leaving audiences furious. The best part was when he went to a foster home to give children some christmas presents and fell asleep under the table.
No wonder Def Jam wouldn't risk putting out his next album until he quit smoking. He just wouldn't be able to promote it.
I wonder why Sony decided to sign him.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 04:38:25 AM by MIC »

ABN

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 05:06:57 AM »
he´ll be in jail for 80 days so he might come out clean.

Eihtball

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 05:59:39 AM »
DMX has always struck me as being fucking crazy...every interview he does, he rants incoherently about how real he is and how anti-commercial/anti-gangsta he is (fine, but that don't change the fact that his music still sells because of how catchy and hooky it is, even if he ain't a bling-bling type rapper).  He may not be "with selling crack", but he's obviously with SMOKING it, which is worse.  It's also funny to hear the driving stories (his own crew won't get in the car with him, reportedly).  He seriously needs to get his act together before he complains about Def Jam - the way he's acting, I would've dropped him off my label, too.  Like the person above me suggested, jail time is probably a good thing for him right now.

ABN

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 06:05:09 AM »
He seriously needs to get his act together before he complains about Def Jam -
hmm now i always say that artists shouldn´t complain coz they´ve signed the contracts but let´s not forget that X hasn´t even made 3 million from all of his record sales(and he´s sold 25 million albums WW)so it´s no wonder that he hates Def Jam and RR. i damn sure would complain aswell if i had made a company over 200 million and they had treated me like i was worth nothing.