Author Topic: Mike Sherman Fired. Brett Favre to Retire?  (Read 84 times)

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
Mike Sherman Fired. Brett Favre to Retire?
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »
Just one day after completing the franchise's worst season since 1991, the Green Bay Packers on Monday dismissed head coach Mike Sherman.

The move, which was announced at a morning news conference, came despite the fact the Packers awarded Sherman a two-year contract extension worth about $6.4 million last summer. It also fuels speculation about the future of quarterback Brett Favre, who said several times during the season that he would not return in 2006 if Sherman was not retained by Packers officials.

"At the end of the day I felt like we needed to go in a different direction," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said at a news conference.

Green Bay concluded the '05 season with a victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday in a game that might have been Favre's swan song. There was also speculation it might have been the finale for Sherman as well, and Thompson apprised the head coach Monday morning that he would not return.

The Packers were decimated by injuries in 2005 and left the club, especially on offense, performing with players that former Green Bay general manager Ron Wolf compared to NFL Europe League players. Green Bay's 4-12 record matches the mark that the club had in 1991, and the tumble is made all the more dramatic by the fact the Packers had won the division crown in each of the past three seasons.

Sherman, 51, succeeded Ray Rhodes as head coach in 2000. In his six seasons with the club, he compiled a 59-43 mark.

Green Bay went to the playoffs four times under Sherman, once as a wild-card entry and three times as division champions, but never advanced beyond the divisional round.

This fuckin sucks...that means Favre will have to retire. I don't care if you're a Favre hater or not. This is the worst thing that could happen tot he packers...THE WORST! Cuz that means Favre wil rettire. Its over. Another losing season for my Packers next year =(
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

jeromechickenbone

Re: Mike Sherman Fired. Brett Favre to Retire?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:49:11 AM »
I'm sure the Packers front office is banking that Favre will either retire / go somewhere else now that Sherman is gone.  I'd like to see Favre go somewhere else, actually.  Even though he's thrown hella interceptions this year, he's still better than a lot of starting QB's in the league.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »
favre should stay. i def dont want to see him in another uniform though.
next yr javon walker will be healthy and ahman green as well and hopefully they pick up a good coach. if all this happens and they patch up their o line then they should be decent next yr and hopefully they can pick up a good rookie wit their high draft pick. they wont win a superbowl wit they defense and hoefully my vikings win the north but i can still see favre having a successful season wit a few wins in the playoffs.
favre is a legend and at the end of the day the american football world can only hope that he plays and has at least one more successful season for the good of the game.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 07:12:46 PM »
Favre should NOT go anywhere. Favre WONT go anywhere. He was one of the first players to get a contract worth OVER 100 Million dolelrs from Green Bay. After all these years I believe Favre feels loyal to the fans. Even though its been a down season, the fans hardly shit talk about him. He's a God in Green Bay, even after this bad year.

Favre doesn't wnat to end his career like this. Everyone will be healthy next year.
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008