West Coast Connection Forum

Lifestyle => Sports & Entertainment => Topic started by: Mac 10 † on July 03, 2006, 08:53:07 AM

Title: Frings suspended for semi-final
Post by: Mac 10 † on July 03, 2006, 08:53:07 AM
(http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41838000/jpg/_41838780_frings203.jpg)

Frings suspended for semi-final

Fifa has suspended Germany midfielder Torsten Frings for Tuesday's World Cup semi-final against Italy.
 
Frings, 29, was involved in the fracas that followed Germany's penalty shoot-out win over Argentina in their World Cup quarter-final on Friday.

The ban is a blow as the Werder Bremen player has been superb for Germany.

Frings has been given a two-match ban, but the second match is suspended meaning he will be available for the World Cup final, if Germany qualify.

Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann said before the verdict that he was confident Frings would be cleared, saying Argentina were to blame for the melee.

"I don't think we were the culprits. He should be in the line-up on Tuesday," Klinsmann said.

Fifa had announced on Sunday that it would take no action against the German players.

Fifa is already considering action against officials of both teams and cases have already been opened against two Argentine players.

Non-playing substitute Leandro Cufre was red-carded by referee Lubos Michel for his part in the fracas.

A Fifa spokesman said Maxi Rodriguez may be punished for an "apparent attack on Bastien Schweinsteiger".

The referee and Fifa officials were caught up in the fracas after the penalty shoot-out, with punches and kicks appearing to be thrown during ugly scenes which lasted 90 seconds.

Confirmation of Fifa's action coincides with news that a clampdown on tackling from behind and the use of the elbow have triggered a fall in player injuries from four years ago.

Fifa chief medical officer Professor Jiri Dvorak said figures from 58 of the 64 games scheduled show the number of injuries have dropped significantly.

Dvorak said: "From all 64 matches in 2002, there were 171 injuries, compared to 129 injuries from the 58 matches so far.

"The use of the high elbow has dropped and there has only been one serious use of the elbow so far."

He also confirmed that all 228 drug tests carried out so far had been negative.

Dvorak said: "We're very optimistic this will be a third successive World Cup without a doping case."
Title: Re: Frings suspended for semi-final
Post by: 7even on July 03, 2006, 09:50:42 AM
there is no footage whatsoever that shows frings doing anything. faggish italian press.
Title: Re: Frings suspended for semi-final
Post by: Mac 10 † on July 03, 2006, 12:15:20 PM
i think there must be some footage for them to act on
Title: Re: Frings suspended for semi-final
Post by: Antonio_ on July 03, 2006, 12:41:57 PM
there is no footage whatsoever that shows frings doing anything. faggish italian press.

(http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/07_Luglio/03/FRING.jpg)

P.S. C'mon now, man. I know it's hard to accept it, but we did it when Swedish did the same forcing FIFA to ban Totti for the spit at that Danish guy. Anyway our Federation did NOTHING to force FIFA to ban Frings. It was, like you said, the italian press who wanted "justice".