West Coast Connection Forum
DUBCC - Tha Connection => West Coast Classics => Topic started by: Woodrow on January 22, 2003, 09:58:13 PM
-
Huge Default Falls on Rap Mogul Like Cold, Cold Rain
Rapper Daz Dillinger has won a $25.5 million default judgment against perpetually embattled rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight and Death Row Records in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Now the question is whether Knight can get the judgment, which his attorney says could wipe out the pioneering rap record label; no renamed Tha Row, reversed.
In part, Knight and Death Row blame the default judgment on a blanket of fear that enveloped the record label following the killings of two of its employees last year.
The uneasy atmosphere hampered communications between Knight and his in-house counsel, who apparently decided to stop coming to the office for a time, according to the lawyer’s declaration.
The communications breakdown led to confusion and inattention regarding the defense of Dillinger’s suit, according to the documents.
However, according to the case records, Dillinger’s attorneys believe that the blanket of fear is really a smoke of factual distortions designed to allow Knight to wriggle out of the jaws of their victory.
A hearing on reconsidering and vacating the big reward is scheduled for Jan. 28.
Robert C. Baker, who defended OJ Simpson in the wrongful death civil suit stemming from the 1984 murders of Simpson’s former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman, and who was hired in late December, several weeks after the default judgment, will represent Knight at the hearing.
Dillinger, an early Death Row artist who reportedly signed with the gangsta rap label in 1993 and was a member of rapper Snoop Dogg’s Tha Dogg Pound, will be represented by the Beverly Hills firm of Fruend & Brackey, Dillinger’s real name is Delmar Arnaud.
The default judgment, handed down Dec. 6 by Judge Paul Gubman but previously unreported, is only one of the legal troubles that recently have been falling like cold, cold rain on Knight.
Shortly before Christmas, Knight won another trip behind bars for an alleged parole violation. He’s still in there, at least until the state prison terms board hears his case within the next few weeks. Knight served nearly five years in state and federal custody on a variety of charges, including firearms assault. He was released on parole in August 2001.
In November, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department conducted raids on Death Row’s Beverly Hills offices and on Knight’s homes, including one in Malibu. The raids were part of an investigation into gang killings, including the shooting April 3 of Knight’s friend, Death Row employee Alton McDonald.
The latter date is important in the Dillinger case because McDonald died just one day after he and others from Death Row met with Baker’s firm about retaining Baker, Death Row’s in-house attorney Theresa Bingham said in a declaration.
Death Row didn’t retain Baker then, she said in the declaration.
Besides McDonald, those attending the meeting included Knight and Bingham.
In her declaration, Bingham state that, after McDonald’s death, “there was a great deal of concern, both personally and at Death Row, AKA Tha Row, that individuals associated with Mr. Knight were at risk.”
Bingham also said that she “left working directly” with Knight last summer.
“The primary reason was an underlying fear that other individuals may be at risk simply for being in the presence of Mr. Knight,” Bingham said in the declaration.
She also noted that, as a result of the murder of Death Row graphic artist Henry Smith on Oct. 16, she “continued to stay away from Mr. Knight’s offices.”
In a subsequent declaration filed earlier this month, Bingham said her being “upset” over the deaths meant that she was “not a productive employee” who paid sufficient attention to Death Row’s litigation.
Death Row also has blamed the breakup of its relationship with the Christensen Miller firm for its failure to defend against the Dillinger action. Court papers indicate that Christensen Miller dropped Death Row in late 2001 because of unpaid fees of $300,000. Dillinger sued in August 2001.
Meanwhile, Baker told me Friday that he believes he has a fighting chance of winning a reversal of the default judgment. For one thing, the award greatly exceeds the amount claimed in Dillinger’s breach of contract suit. $1 million, Baker said. Moreover, Knight claims he was never served with notice of the default judgment, Baker said.
Even in Hollywood, sometimes that old question, “Your money or your life?” is not theoretical.
Author: Garry Abrams
Source: Daily Journal [www.dailyjournal.com]
Date: 01/22/03
-
Ha, I'll bet daz HAD A FRIEKIN CORONARY since it was more than he was even asking for, LOL. He's probably got plans for that 1 million, then the lawyer comes back and tells him he's getting 20 million instead, LOL.
-
lol i guess daz actually can destroy death row, and he is now a very rich man.......i wonder why he got so much??? it couldn't be from royalties cause he never sold that many records
-
right, but how come this article is nowhere to be seen in the site itself? Nah, I doubt it's true. Too good to be true (for Daz, of course)
-
right, but how come this article is nowhere to be seen in the site itself? Nah, I doubt it's true. Too good to be true (for Daz, of course)
It did look a bit fake...
http://www.dpgrecordz.com
-
Nah, it's prob. true, too many quotes, and inside information. Nobody would b.s. all that, it's too much work, LOL. You'd have to write an outline to fake it, hahaha.
Anyways, He might have been awarded more for punitive damages. A big corporation or company sometimes gets judgements against it that are big, to "Teach it a lesson"
for example, McDonalds scolds a woman with hot coffee. Instead of giving her 500 grand to make her rich forever, they give her 28 million, so it actually hurts mcdonalds (Micky d's could give away 500 grand every 10 minutes and still make money).
-
Ha, I'll bet daz HAD A FRIEKIN CORONARY since it was more than he was even asking for, LOL. He's probably got plans for that 1 million, then the lawyer comes back and tells him he's getting 20 million instead, LOL.
LOL i was right, lol. There's an audio link on Daz's site, he's friekin' out
"THIS IS DAZ DILLINGER, 25.5 MILLION (GAAAA DAMMMNNNN) DOLLAS!!! WE GONNA DO A PARTY!!! WE GON DO A PARTY FOR THE DPGRECORDZ FANS, WE GON FLY YALL OUT TO A SECLUDED SPOT!!!! YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD ME, I HAD YOU FOR 25 MILLION!!!! "
LOL
-
how long do u think its b4 daz is flat broke again
-
how long do u think its b4 daz is flat broke again
i give him a week lol. im out!!!
-
wow.. this really sticks it to Tha Row! Final crash and burn for Mr. Knight.
Overall, I'm happy for Daz and really hopes he puts this money towards making DPG Recordz ALOT more legit. Letz start by issuing refunds to the homies who got jacked on Mak And Daz. ::)
But on the real.. hopefully he continues to put out great Indy music.. but steps up on the business end of it all.
... hhhmmmm.. well SHIT..!! while I'm at it.. (busy spending his money for him.. haha..) he needs to invest in some new equipment or something.. or pay for professional mixing and mastering. His last EP (Passion Remix for example) was NOT mixed down properly and it really pissed me off cuz Tower charged like 18 bucks for the damn thing.. and the levels arent right.. theres pops and really small cracklez. In addition.. the Gangsta Shit DVD bonus videos look like they where recorded off BET or some shit. He straight used some VHS rips for bonus vidz. What kinda shit is that???
Hopefully this cash will turn into better work for his fans.
Axle
-
That's called, "Ghetto Quality". Daz ain't NEVER gonna get better than Ghetto Quality, even if he goes bill gates on us.
-
Damn things looking bad for Tha Row >:(
-
Daaaaaamn LOL imagine getting news like that, talk about your ship coming in. I can't even imagine having 25 Million.
Oh, that audio clip was hilarious, Daz said something like "Jay-Z get at me, you owe me the money for Change The Game". He just won 25 Mill and he's still trippin on money hahaha
-
Why does newswriter use the same words Kronik used................fake
-
right, but how come this article is nowhere to be seen in the site itself?
Yeah funny that daz comes with this bs the same day Tha Row plans to release the Disfunktional Family Tracklist ::)
-
lookin more like bullshit. daz winning a lawsuit of this magnitude would be all over the place today, and it isn't even on the site that supposedly has the article
-
1st off, it's in Kronik's words because he reworded it, and posted it, unlike most news sites which just copy and paste.
2nd, they gave credit to a writer ON that site, they didn't say it came from that site.
3rd, it, according to the lawsuit happened december 6th, and the article said it hadn't been announced yet.
Yall can't discern fact from fiction on anything. First, everybody wouldn't believe Kurupt signed with the row, the whole time I was telling everybody it was the truth. Then we had fools saying "AW, that ain't Snoop's album! He'll change the tracklist"... then yall don't believe Mellowman; now you won't believe this. You guys are too skeptical. This story is legit as hell.
-
LOOOOL the audiois hillarious!! I can understand his hapyness tho if its true
-
Yea.. you would think that this kinda news would be all over the place, but I just cant see an artist like DAZ braggin about something this BIG if it was a flat out lie. So I dont know.
Well now that I think about it.. Isn't this kinda stuff available to the public? Theres gotta be some public records that support this claim. ::)
Ax
-
Daz said on the clip that the article was in the LA Daily Journal. Anyone in LA county can go to a newstand and pick it up and check if its in there
-
Damn, Daz just got lucky. Fuck him signing with a major now, damn he can sell his shit from DPG Recordz now straight up without all this ripping people off and crappy mixing bull. Hopefully he will use the money wisely to buy some better production equipment so that he can start making more beats like in the Death Row days as well as his more recent style of beats. Although this is Daz we are talking about and therefore I am a little skeptical, he sounds pleased as hell on the audio clip, and like Trauma said, the article itself looks pretty legit with the language they have used and shit. so I am willing to believe that this is true.
PS - he gonna fly over all the UK homies for the party, lol?
-
its not fake.
peep this thread
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=27374
-
first off, never gonna doubt Trauma again, cuz he comes correct
but i found it hard to believe considering this is the same guy who has said (in no particular order): Kurupt was not going to Tha Row, was going to join the army, join the air force so he can drop a bomb on Sadaam Hussein's head, Kurupt becoming a blood, Suge sleepin with his wife, he having sex with suge's wife, getting into an altercation on a bu with Suge's ex-homeboy, twisting the truth on the Bad Azz in Vegas situation, etc. etc. etc.
and also, he owes money to people, such as overseer and rud, for shit that they never got. hopefully, if he does recieve money (or some money, after reading what seer posted on dubcnn, he might not recieve 25 million) he'll at least give peeps their money back
-
lol the audio was funny as fuck. lol
-
that was sum funny audio. now he can finally stop running internet scams, start refunding mutha fuckaz money, and start concentrating on his music.
-
Man, Daz just gave the second big and maybe fatal blow to Tha Row. I think they are done.
Anyway, Daz is going back to mainstream with that 25 mil! He will be wit Shady.
-
I just wanna know where did everyone get the audio from? I would love to hear that track. Please hook me up with the url.
-
that was sum funny audio. now he can finally stop running internet scams, start refunding mutha fuckaz money, and start concentrating on his music.
Never happen, LOL. Daz could be Bill Gates, and he'd STILL rip people off. It's called "Ghetto", and Daz is the most ghetto artist (with the possible exception of ODB) that I've ever seen.