West Coast Connection Forum
DUBCC - Tha Connection => West Coast Classics => Topic started by: 2QUIK213 on October 16, 2024, 12:49:58 PM
-
Did Dr.Dre ghost produce the album?
I've heard this rumour, before.
Does anyone, have any info on this?
Thanks
-
I don't know for sure but I believe he did
the production is too good for him not to have been
-
Which beats on the album sound like Dr. Dre produced them and not Daz and Soopafly?
I would say maybe 'Let's Play House' and 'Respect', they have a Dre feel to them and you could compare them to the sound Dre was working with at the time on Doggystyle and Murder Was The Case. But the rest? I would say they sound like Daz productions to me.
I know there is that freestyle with Daz, Lil Malik, Nate Dogg etc that uses the beat to 'Bomb Ass Pussy' which I think was from the Doggystyle studio sessions, so we can maybe assume that this is a Dre production. But didn't Dre have to do jail time around 94-95 which may take him out of the equation a bit when it comes to Dogg Food?
-
Did Dr.Dre ghost produce the album?
I've heard this rumour, before.
Does anyone, have any info on this?
Thanks
I had always heard Dre helped mix it and put his finishing touches on it. But i do think Daz produced a lot of it. Respect sure sounds like Dre, and maybe a few others. I think they both worked together on a lot of it. But Dre went ahead and let Daz have the credit because Death Row needed another good in house producer that other artists could use and was trying to make Daz a big name.
-
I don't know for sure but I believe he did
the production is too good for him not to have been
That's what I thought, because even though, I like Daz as a producer, he never really reached those heights again.
-
That's what I thought, because even though, I like Daz as a producer, he never really reached those heights again.
I think if Daz had a bigger budget to work with for his projects and he had engineers and session musicians available similar to what he had during the Dogg Food recordings he could do it again.
-
Nice Thread.
It's a great question to ask. Like others said above, "Respect" seems like a Dre joint, Dre even does the intro and those keys and the spacing of it really sound like Dre. Also, "Let's Play House" has that Dre intro and really sounds like a Dre beat.
Someone mentioned how "Bomb Ass Pussy" might have been in the stash for a while and could be from Dre's Doggystyle sessions. Interestingly enough it's been said in an interview that it was "Bomb Ass Pussy" that got Suge to greenlight the album. Because remember they didn't really advertise the Dogg Pound in the liner notes of Murder Was the Case, it seemed like even Rage was ahead of Dogg Pound in the schedule or Dogg Pound didn't even have a schedule for a release until Suge heard "Bomb Ass Pussy".
Also Kurupt's performance lyrically. It's kind of hard to believe that Daz was able to get all of that out of Kurupt. Because we know how Kurupt can get lazy with his rhymes and just put any bullshit "Tyrannosaurus, Dracula, spatula" type of shit on a record and start to get carried away without Dre or Suge to put a foot up his ass.
My theory is that Dre was in the building. Like Dre was hanging around, in the studio as the album was being recorded. That some of the beats him and Daz had both worked on, but Daz was getting to use under Daz name. Maybe that type of shit. Sort of like the way that Mel Man had joints like "Year 2000" for Xzibit or "Hennesey and Buddah" for Snoop or "Welcome to LA" for Xzibit... all sound like Dre joints where maybe Dre was around and in the building.
Most likely scenario just based off the interviews and what's been confirmed--is that Daz produced the entire album but just Dre fixed a lot of shit in the final mix and sequencing.
-
Most likely scenario just based off the interviews and what's been confirmed--is that Daz produced the entire album but just Dre fixed a lot of shit in the final mix and sequencing.
That's what I'm thinking as well. People in this forum really try their best to discredit Daz. He's done some great production after Dogg Food. It seems like he has good ideas, but needs a co-producer to help him with the technical aspects of making those ideas happen.
-
That's what I'm thinking as well. People in this forum really try their best to discredit Daz. He's done some great production after Dogg Food. It seems like he has good ideas, but needs a co-producer to help him with the technical aspects of making those ideas happen.
like you said his best work is when he has a coproducer whether it be Dre, Soopafly, Mike Dean or Ivan Johnson
one question I always had is that Kurupt is credited as producer on "So Much Style" the last track of the album on my CD which is the US version
on discogs the European version has Kurupt listed but Daz on the US version
https://www.discogs.com/release/226063-Tha-Dogg-Pound-Dogg-Food
https://www.discogs.com/release/1290122-Tha-Dogg-Pound-Dogg-Food
-
like you said his best work is when he has a coproducer whether it be Dre, Soopafly, Mike Dean or Ivan Johnson
one question I always had is that Kurupt is credited as producer on "So Much Style" the last track of the album on my CD which is the US version
on discogs the European version has Kurupt listed but Daz on the US version
https://www.discogs.com/release/226063-Tha-Dogg-Pound-Dogg-Food
https://www.discogs.com/release/1290122-Tha-Dogg-Pound-Dogg-Food
If I remember correctly, Kurupt even talks about producing one track on the album "So Much Style" in their BET Rap City Dogg Food episode. It might be the part where big Lez asks how they are different, and Kurupt says how Daz is a perfectionist and just wants to keep doin shit over and how Kurupt is like "nah it's dope".
-
like you said his best work is when he has a coproducer whether it be Dre, Soopafly, Mike Dean or Ivan Johnson
one question I always had is that Kurupt is credited as producer on "So Much Style" the last track of the album on my CD which is the US version
on discogs the European version has Kurupt listed but Daz on the US version
https://www.discogs.com/release/226063-Tha-Dogg-Pound-Dogg-Food
https://www.discogs.com/release/1290122-Tha-Dogg-Pound-Dogg-Food
Kurupt is listed as producer on both of those discog links, my dude
-
This topic has been covered many times on here
and yes, it's pretty much been confirmed that dre ghost produced the album
-
Kurupt is listed as producer on both of those discog links, my dude
the 1st link Daz is listed
Producer - Dat Nigga Daz (tracks: 1 to 3, 6 to 17)
-
If I remember correctly, Kurupt even talks about producing one track on the album "So Much Style" in their BET Rap City Dogg Food episode. It might be the part where big Lez asks how they are different, and Kurupt says how Daz is a perfectionist and just wants to keep doin shit over and how Kurupt is like "nah it's dope".
looks like Daz learned that from Dre
-
This topic has been covered many times on here
and yes, it's pretty much been confirmed that dre ghost produced the album
I believe this, but anything in particular you could say?
Would love, if you could expand on this.
Thanks
-
I believe this, but anything in particular you could say?
Would love, if you could expand on this.
Thanks
-when u listen to it, you can hear that it is much more layered than daz signature style
-this is supposedly daz's first production work and by far his best, which doesn't make any sense
-anyone with an ear for production can hear dre signature style sprinkled throughout the entire record
-this was a death row release at the pinnacle of death row records.. makes zero sense to not have dre productions on here
-suge was adamant in marketing daz as death rows next big producer and used dre's ghost production to build another production star for the label
and the cherry on top was....
-both snoop and nancy fletcher confirmed that dre produced the album in separate interviews
-
This topic has been covered many times on here
and yes, it's pretty much been confirmed that dre ghost produced the album
That would be pretty ironic then considering Daz has made claims -- insinuating the opposite -- that he did shit he didn't get credit for. Because if that's true then he should keep it a buck, and be like "hell Dre co-produced the Dogg Food album but didn't get any producers credit"
-
That would be pretty ironic then considering Daz has made claims -- insinuating the opposite -- that he did shit he didn't get credit for. Because if that's true then he should keep it a buck, and be like "hell Dre co-produced the Dogg Food album but didn't get any producers credit"
daz is all over the place, but he did check suge on that in the past
https://www.complex.com/music/a/brad-callas/daz-dillinger-slams-suge-knight-claims-dr-dre-didnt-produce-doggystyle
-
Daz always claiming credit for everything, lol
-
Daz always claiming credit for everything, lol
but in that instance he was being 100 and said he had nothing to do with doggystyle
-
-when u listen to it, you can hear that it is much more layered than daz signature style
-this is supposedly daz's first production work and by far his best, which doesn't make any sense
-anyone with an ear for production can hear dre signature style sprinkled throughout the entire record
-this was a death row release at the pinnacle of death row records.. makes zero sense to not have dre productions on here
-suge was adamant in marketing daz as death rows next big producer and used dre's ghost production to build another production star for the label
and the cherry on top was....
-both snoop and nancy fletcher confirmed that dre produced the album in separate interviews
Thank you, bro.
-
-when u listen to it, you can hear that it is much more layered than daz signature style
-this is supposedly daz's first production work and by far his best, which doesn't make any sense
-anyone with an ear for production can hear dre signature style sprinkled throughout the entire record
-this was a death row release at the pinnacle of death row records.. makes zero sense to not have dre productions on here
-suge was adamant in marketing daz as death rows next big producer and used dre's ghost production to build another production star for the label
and the cherry on top was....
-both snoop and nancy fletcher confirmed that dre produced the album in separate interviews
Well explained for the homie.
-
Daz always claiming credit for everything, lol
Daz, Suge and Snoop all seem to embellish the truth sometimes
-
100%
We know Suge is a liar, but in the case of Daz and Snoop, maybe they were/are too high to remember everything, lol.
-
I think if Daz had a bigger budget to work with for his projects and he had engineers and session musicians available similar to what he had during the Dogg Food recordings he could do it again.
He displayed this on the Retaliation Revenge & Get Back Album along with the Deathrow Greatest Hits album on several tracks, where he had everything to his disposal and delivered.
-
Classic album never gets old 8) 8)
-
Some say there was an interview where Kurupt says "just shot a video for 'respect'"
Overdose produced on Dogg Food too
So did Emmanuel "Porkchop" Dean
Malik says on the freestyle "daz on the beat" dre did not do b.a.p.
-
Some say there was an interview where Kurupt says "just shot a video for 'respect'"
Overdose produced on Dogg Food too
So did Emmanuel "Porkchop" Dean
Malik says on the freestyle "daz on the beat" dre did not do b.a.p.
I actually saw the MTV news clip where he says it in real time but I have never been able to find it on YT
I believe Overdose the track "So Much Style" which lists Kurupt as the producer on my CD
-
I actually saw the MTV news clip where he says it in real time but I have never been able to find it on YT
I believe Overdose the track "So Much Style" which lists Kurupt as the producer on my CD
Wonder if Nancy Fletcher & Prince Ital Joe are in the video?
The reggae part is quite long so maybe he is?
Overdose did "Soo Much Style"
Also did "I Dont Bang No More" NOT "Smooth Jack" its OVERDOSE he confirmed it in YT comments.
-
Wonder if Nancy Fletcher & Prince Ital Joe are in the video?
The reggae part is quite long so maybe he is?
Overdose did "Soo Much Style"
Also did "I Dont Bang No More" NOT "Smooth Jack" its OVERDOSE he confirmed it in YT comments.
I would think so, they are both integral parts of that track
yeah I had seen that, Overdose did a few joints for Kurupt, another one was "These Reasons" aka "DPG4Life"
-
That was actually my video I recorded from Yo! MTV Raps in 1995 where both Daz + Kurupt host it (its called DP-TV) and they say Dr. Dre directed it and they actually introduce it as being shown next but it plays Onyx's All We Got Iz Us video.
Also, they talk about Got My Mind Made Up having a verse from Dr. Dre on it and they were waiting on Rage to record a verse for it too, this was all before 'Pac took it obviously, seems like it was recorded around summer '95 I think.
-
That was actually my video I recorded from Yo! MTV Raps in 1995 where both Daz + Kurupt host it (its called DP-TV) and they say Dr. Dre directed it and they actually introduce it as being shown next but it plays Onyx's All We Got Iz Us video.
Also, they talk about Got My Mind Made Up having a verse from Dr. Dre on it and they were waiting on Rage to record a verse for it too, this was all before 'Pac took it obviously, seems like it was recorded around summer '95 I think.
I remember Method Man in later interviews saying they went to record Got My Mind Made Up for Rage's album
this is the first I heard that Dre had a verse on it, I wonder if he used that verse on a later track
-
I got it slightly wrong cos I aint watched the video in years, Rage had laid a verse but they took her off cos she used the same verse on her album so they added Dr. Dre to the song.
Heres a clip of Kurupt confirming it;
https://mega.nz/file/PHZQFBzD#0j2DrefktnomAwQJmEnNhx0WexSQqgRspkZVy9RiMvc
-
I got it slightly wrong cos I aint watched the video in years, Rage had laid a verse but they took her off cos she used the same verse on her album so they added Dr. Dre to the song.
Heres a clip of Kurupt confirming it;
https://mega.nz/file/PHZQFBzD#0j2DrefktnomAwQJmEnNhx0WexSQqgRspkZVy9RiMvc
wow
so we had at one point or another all of these rappers spitting over that beat
Daz
Pac
Kurupt
Meth
Redman
Rage
Deck
Dre
thanks for the upload 8)
-
While I'm at it, this was the intro for the video Respect they did on DPTV;
https://mega.nz/file/DGxSjDyA#sNlYh6eRFY_hc8OH9-1C6YNV1UebwfyQf7klRAhBlLo
-
While I'm at it, this was the intro for the video Respect they did on DPTV;
https://mega.nz/file/DGxSjDyA#sNlYh6eRFY_hc8OH9-1C6YNV1UebwfyQf7klRAhBlLo
props, never saw this 8)
I saw an MTV news clip which I believe was at the set of the Respect video
I wish I had recorded it
-
While I'm at it, this was the intro for the video Respect they did on DPTV;
https://mega.nz/file/DGxSjDyA#sNlYh6eRFY_hc8OH9-1C6YNV1UebwfyQf7klRAhBlLo
File Not Safe
Got another link? T.I.A.
-
File Not Safe
Got another link? T.I.A.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rcklxh3mt705ku0/Tha+Dogg+Pound+-+Yo!+MTV+Raps+(Respect).mp4/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/cahuyw52rju07o9/Tha+Dogg+Pound+-+Yo!+MTV+Raps+(normal+volume)+(LQ+-+WMV)+(Full+-+no+adverts)+(online-video-cutter.com).mp4/file
-
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rcklxh3mt705ku0/Tha+Dogg+Pound+-+Yo!+MTV+Raps+(Respect).mp4/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/cahuyw52rju07o9/Tha+Dogg+Pound+-+Yo!+MTV+Raps+(normal+volume)+(LQ+-+WMV)+(Full+-+no+adverts)+(online-video-cutter.com).mp4/file
Just Watched
Dr. Dre directed it?
No mention of Ital Joe
-
bump
-
my favorite Death Row album
might be a hot take but I think its just as good as The Chronic and Doggystyle
-
my favorite Death Row album
might be a hot take but I think its just as good as The Chronic and Doggystyle
not that crazy
it's definitely up there
-
my favorite Death Row album
might be a hot take but I think its just as good as The Chronic and Doggystyle
you won't get any argument from me --- because all 3 were flawless classics with that signature Death Row sound, and all 3 had their own unique intangibles that made them distinct from the others....
But I was just watching some old school YOMtvRaps and RapCity episodes and saw the "Gin and Juice" video for the first time in a long time. And as big as "New York, New York" was... "Gin and Juice" was so big that we even had to stop class in the 6th grade and had the teacher had one of those big class discussions like they did over Magic Johnson HIV -- about rap music lyrics and their impact.
That opening of the video with Ricky Harris and that Mikaly Culkin "HomeBoy Alone". I mean you just can't argue how big "Gin and Juice" was and the Doggystyle album. I mean, I listen to Dogg Food more in the many years since those albums came out.
...but if we are talking about the moment that those records dropped, the whole world stopped when that Doggystyle album dropped so on that note you can't call Dogg Food it's equal. Like I always say, my older brother (who is like average Joe American) DEFINITELY knew who Snoop was when Chronic and Doggystyle dropped--everyone did--but he never knew who the fucc Daz and Kurupt were with any name recognition. So you just can't compare Dogg Food to the superiority of Doggystyle on that note.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWCZse1iwE0&list=RDfWCZse1iwE0&start_radio=1
-
I remain convinced that Dogg Food was produced by Daz Dillinger, with Soopafly credited as the keyboardist. It is clearly the DPG sound.
However, i am certain that Dr. Dre, in addition to mixing the entire album, added his finishing touches to a few tracks. "Respect" and "Let's Play House" really bear the Dr. Dre signature style.
Back in 2011, when DJ Quik released his album The Book of David, i remember reading an online article featuring an interview where he was promoting the record. One particular remark surprised me; he said something along the lines of : "Daz and Kurupt knows how much i helped them with Dogg Food." He claimed to have helped polish certain instrumentals. Which ones ? I don't know, though I'd love to find out. He also mentioned having worked on Tha Doggfather.
-
my favorite Death Row album
might be a hot take but I think its just as good as The Chronic and Doggystyle
I agree, not sure if it was because I listened to Doggystyle and The Chronic a lot more when I was younger but Dogg Food just seems to be timeless and gets better and better.
-
I remain convinced that Dogg Food was produced by Daz Dillinger, with Soopafly credited as the keyboardist. It is clearly the DPG sound.
However, i am certain that Dr. Dre, in addition to mixing the entire album, added his finishing touches to a few tracks. "Respect" and "Let's Play House" really bear the Dr. Dre signature style.
Back in 2011, when DJ Quik released his album The Book of David, i remember reading an online article featuring an interview where he was promoting the record. One particular remark surprised me; he said something along the lines of : "Daz and Kurupt knows how much i helped them with Dogg Food." He claimed to have helped polish certain instrumentals. Which ones ? I don't know, though I'd love to find out. He also mentioned having worked on Tha Doggfather.
snoop and nancy fletcher exposed that dre produced dogg food
daz was a beatmaker who provided barebone beats for the most part
-
snoop and nancy fletcher exposed that dre produced dogg food
daz was a beatmaker who provided barebone beats for the most part
Where? In which interview?
They were talking about how greatly he enhanced the songs in the mix most likely and album sequencing, etc...
"Dogg Pound... are u muthafuckaz ready.." (Dre voice)
-
Tbf, I also remember both Snoop and Nanci in different interviews saying Dre produced Dogg Food, they were not talking about mixing/enhancing
-
Where? In which interview?
They were talking about how greatly he enhanced the songs in the mix most likely and album sequencing, etc...
"Dogg Pound... are u muthafuckaz ready.." (Dre voice)
wrong
-
Tbf, I also remember both Snoop and Nanci in different interviews saying Dre produced Dogg Food, they were not talking about mixing/enhancing
yup
-
here is snoops claim:
Snoop: Come on man! Dogg Food was produced by Soopafly, Daz and Dr. Dre!
Dubcnn: Dre mixed it right?
Snoop: No, Dre produced a lot of that shit! I'm telling you, Daz and them brought Dre beats, and he produced the muthafuckas! "What Would You Do" was just a beat that Daz had did. That "bu-bump, bu-bump", the nigga Dre put all that shit on it, that *sings* What would you do, whaa *sings* just to give it that other shit! I'm telling you what I know man! Niggas gotta give Dre the ultimate respect. Niggas try to bash him and cut his knees down like he didn't do nothing nigga, he's the saviour man! Because what he did was, he showed niggas how to produce. Because niggas was good at making beats, but he showed you niggas how to produce! If ya'll had really did what ya'll say ya'll did, ya'll woulda put records out that sold 3-4 million on your own, like he did. I still have to see it!
All the records that they put out solo wise, GARBAGE. Warren G's last record, HOT TO DEATH. The records in between, I don't know. And these are my homeboys, I don't lie to you, I tell it like it is!
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/snoopdogg06/part4/
-
here is nanci fletcher claim:
#FBF "Respect" by The Dogg Pound featuring Dr. Dre, Prince Ital Joe and ‘ME'‼‼ produced by Dr. Dr, recorded at Can-Am Studios in Tarzana, California
This session to me is kinda vague cuz it happened so fast. I think they were delayed in finishing the ‘Dogg Pound' album so we had to work fast. Daz, Kurupt and Ital Joe recorded their parts at Can Am Studios and me and Dre recorded our parts at Dre's ‘in-home' studio in Calabasas which was called ‘Dre's Crib'. Dre used samples from a ‘Geroge Clinton' song ‘Flashlight' and ‘The Lady of Rage' song ‘Afro Puffs' in this song. I put that ‘Brides of Funkenstien' sound on this one too. SIDEBAR‼‼! I just found out as I was writing this post that ‘Prince Ital Joe' passed away in 2001‼ 😲😪RIP! I had no idea and am really shocked and saddened by this news. He was killed in a car accident. He was only around 36 years old‼ I also found out that he kinda took my same path, raised in Brooklyn then went to LA to pursue his dream as an entertainer, except he was born in the ‘Commonwealth of Dominica'. I had met him before we did this song but I wish we could've recorded together. He had dat smooth ‘rasta' vibe and spirit and he really ‘did his thang' on this song. Dang, such a tragedy, he'll be missed in this industry!
-
I would usually take whatever Snoop says with a grain of salt however I probably listened to Dogg Food hundreds of times...I've heard too many people all say that Dre mixed it so I definitely believe that since every track sounds impeccable...as far as who produced it I'm also leaning towards Dre doing most of it, except for the 2 Pooh tracks...what Daz did I'm not exactly sure now but he did sound better than he ever did on the mic...the delivery and flow were top notch
-
I would usually take whatever Snoop says with a grain of salt however I probably listened to Dogg Food hundreds of times...I've heard too many people all say that Dre mixed it so I definitely believe that since every track sounds impeccable...as far as who produced it I'm also leaning towards Dre doing most of it, except for the 2 Pooh tracks...what Daz did I'm not exactly sure now but he did sound better than he ever did on the mic...the delivery and flow were top notch
Intro from RESPECT: I know you're bobbin your head, right back atcha once again, with some of Dat Nigga Daz shit beating on your eardrums" - Dr Dre. Straight outta Dre's own mouth. At least for that song, unless he was lying.
-
Intro from RESPECT: I know you're bobbin your head, right back atcha once again, with some of Dat Nigga Daz shit beating on your eardrums" - Dr Dre. Straight outta Dre's own mouth. At least for that song, unless he was lying.
that was the whole point .. dre was down with suges plan to bill daz as the next big death row producer
but even still .. no one said daz didn't provide the barebone beat .. however, dre produced the song .. big difference
-
that was the whole point .. dre was down with suges plan to bill daz as the next big death row producer
but even still .. no one said daz didn't provide the barebone beat .. however, dre produced the song .. big difference
Daz is definitely one of the GOAT beat providers
-
that was the whole point .. dre was down with suges plan to bill daz as the next big death row producer
but even still .. no one said daz didn't provide the barebone beat .. however, dre produced the song .. big difference
Why would Dre back that plan if Daz wasn't a great producer? You think Dre would've continued "ghost producing" for Daz years down the road and continue to let him take credit? I know you love Dre and all but ....Smh.
-
Why would Dre back that plan if Daz wasn't a great producer? You think Dre would've continued "ghost producing" for Daz years down the road and continue to let him take credit? I know you love Dre and all but ....Smh.
daz was getting paid back for not getting credit on chronic or doggystyle
worst kept secret .. sorry you weren't informed
-
Intro from RESPECT: I know you're bobbin your head, right back atcha once again, with some of Dat Nigga Daz shit beating on your eardrums" - Dr Dre. Straight outta Dre's own mouth. At least for that song, unless he was lying.
From the sounds of it Dre might've produced "Respect" and let Daz keep the credit — pretty dope how Dre shows some low key Crip/Dogg Pound love with "...Cee ya" emphasis on "C". But still, that's just one song.
There's another story though that Daz tells that sounds accurate to me that Dre was being his usual self like very private and aloof from everybody and they were waiting around trying to find someone to mix down Dogg Food — they even looked into having some big name producers/or mixers like it might've been someone East Coast I wish I could remember the name Daz said—
And then he basically said finally Suge pushed a button or put a foot in Dre's ass somehow and Dre finally went to work and polished off the Dogg Food album and rest is history
...on that note, since Dre was still at the label, I wonder what a Dre mix down and polish of All Eyez On Me might've sounded like. I mean Quik was perfect, nobody can argue.. but still, Dre is Dre— he would've had his touches and probably added some intros/outros/skits
-
daz was getting paid back for not getting credit on chronic or doggystyle
worst kept secret .. sorry you weren't informed
Oh but wait, i thought Daz didn't produce anything on Chronic or Doggystyle.....need to get your info straight Sccit, can't have it both ways. You can't say Daz didn't do shit outta one side of your mouth and then out of the other side of your mouth say he did when the narrative fits whatever conversation you're trying to insert yourself in today.
-
daz was getting paid back for not getting credit on chronic or doggystyle
worst kept secret .. sorry you weren't informed
I guess the same thing applied to Kurupt on So Much Style
-
Oh but wait, i thought Daz didn't produce anything on Chronic or Doggystyle.....need to get your info straight Sccit, can't have it both ways. You can't say Daz didn't do shit outta one side of your mouth and then out of the other side of your mouth say he did when the narrative fits whatever conversation you're trying to insert yourself in today.
again.. u don't know the difference between producing and coming up with some loops
that's the problem here
-
I guess the same thing applied to Kurupt on So Much Style
yup
-
From the sounds of it Dre might've produced "Respect" and let Daz keep the credit — pretty dope how Dre shows some low key Crip/Dogg Pound love with "...Cee ya" emphasis on "C". But still, that's just one song.
There's another story though that Daz tells that sounds accurate to me that Dre was being his usual self like very private and aloof from everybody and they were waiting around trying to find someone to mix down Dogg Food — they even looked into having some big name producers/or mixers like it might've been someone East Coast I wish I could remember the name Daz said—
And then he basically said finally Suge pushed a button or put a foot in Dre's ass somehow and Dre finally went to work and polished off the Dogg Food album and rest is history
...on that note, since Dre was still at the label, I wonder what a Dre mix down and polish of All Eyez On Me might've sounded like. I mean Quik was perfect, nobody can argue.. but still, Dre is Dre— he would've had his touches and probably added some intros/outros/skits
dre didn't only produce respect .. he produced each and every song and his signature sound is all throughout so not really hard to tell
i promise u that daz's best productions weren't his very first lol
-
again.. u don't know the difference between producing and coming up with some loops
that's the problem here
So, because Daz came up with a few basic loops for Chronic and Doggystyle, they decided to give full production credit on Dogg Food to Daz to make up for that? Even though Dre produced nearly everything on all 3 albums? (Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food). Seems a little farfetched to me, but I'm not surprised that you'd believe anything you're fed from your "DPG constituents" without using any sort of logical independent thought.
Again, one side of your mouth, you're slyly minimizing Daz's contributions to these albums (a few basic drum loops), then out the other side you're using that as justification that Dre and Suge felt like Daz's contributions were great enough to the extent that they had to give him full production credit on Dogg Food. I get your main goal here is to increase activity on the page and playing dumb and towing the line of both sides of discussions perpetuates posts and activity, but it's making you look like you don't have any idea what you're talking about.
-
I guess the same thing applied to Kurupt on So Much Style
Do you think the same thing was done with Kurupt's production credit on Tattoo Tearz?
-
So, because Daz came up with a few basic loops for Chronic and Doggystyle, they decided to give full production credit on Dogg Food to Daz to make up for that? Even though Dre produced nearly everything on all 3 albums? (Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food). Seems a little farfetched to me, but I'm not surprised that you'd believe anything you're fed from your "DPG constituents" without using any sort of logical independent thought.
Again, one side of your mouth, you're slyly minimizing Daz's contributions to these albums (a few basic drum loops), then out the other side you're using that as justification that Dre and Suge felt like Daz's contributions were great enough to the extent that they had to give him full production credit on Dogg Food. I get your main goal here is to increase activity on the page and playing dumb and towing the line of both sides of discussions perpetuates posts and activity, but it's making you look like you don't have any idea what you're talking about.
pay attention coolio boy
vvvv
-when u listen to it, you can hear that it is much more layered than daz signature style
-this is supposedly daz's first production work and by far his best, which doesn't make any sense
-anyone with an ear for production can hear dre signature style sprinkled throughout the entire record
-this was a death row release at the pinnacle of death row records.. makes zero sense to not have dre productions on here
-suge was adamant in marketing daz as death rows next big producer and used dre's ghost production to build another production star for the label
and the cherry on top was....
-both snoop and nancy fletcher confirmed that dre produced the album in separate interviews
you actin like this is just something im comin up with randomly is funny. real heads been known dre ghost produced dogg food back when this forum first opened .. you wouldn't know because you were busy jammin out to gangstas paradise while using your hairbrush as a mic and hoppin up n down on your bed
-
pay attention coolio boy
vvvv
you actin like this is just something im comin up with randomly is funny. real heads been known dre ghost produced dogg food back when this forum first opened .. you wouldn't know because you were busy jammin out to gangstas paradise while using your hairbrush as a mic and hoppin up n down on your bed
Wow, how juvenile are we getting these days? You used to actually make constructive counter arguments. Now you've been broken down to 5th grade level playground insults. Sad man. I know i've continuously proven you wrong time and time again, the Warren G thread being the most recent example, but don't take it personal man. There are people in this world who are more knowledgeable than yourself, don't be so insecure about it. Take it gracefully. I used to always respect you because as i've mentioned in the past, even when we've had disagreements, you've most of the time kept things on a higher level and not resorted to the bottom feeding insults that some have here over the years. Not sure if you're just having a bad day or what but it's not becoming of someone of your standing, especially as a mod. You should be discouraging this type of behavior.
-
Wow, how juvenile are we getting these days? You used to actually make constructive counter arguments. Now you've been broken down to 5th grade level playground insults. Sad man. I know i've continuously proven you wrong time and time again, the Warren G thread being the most recent example, but don't take it personal man. There are people in this world who are more knowledgeable than yourself, don't be so insecure about it. Take it gracefully. I used to always respect you because as i've mentioned in the past, even when we've had disagreements, you've most of the time kept things on a higher level and not resorted to the bottom feeding insults that some have here over the years. Not sure if you're just having a bad day or what but it's not becoming of someone of your standing, especially as a mod. You should be discouraging this type of behavior.
lighten up and go bump it takes a thief
-
lighten up and go bump it takes a thief
Again, great quality response to add to the discussion. Your character is showing well in this thread.
-
Again, great quality response to add to the discussion. Your character is showing well in this thread.
for someone who made a name for himself by bein a troll, you take yourself way too serious when the tables are turned
:camby:
-
for someone who made a name for himself by bein a troll, you take yourself way too serious when the tables are turned
:camby:
You are a great representative for this message board and your record label.
-
Didn't the OG of Aint No Fun leak, which effectively shows exactly what these beats Daz was making at the time were like pre Dre producing them?
I think it's fair to say in Doggystyle, Daz made a couple of loops, Dre then produced them into densley packed, complicated productions but Daz didn't get credit in the way someone like Sam Sneed did.
I strongly suspect Dre did the same with a good chunk of Dogg Food. I've also seen in other interviews it being alleged that Dre did the same for What Would U Do, which to be fair, to me, sounds like Dre too compared to say, Big Pimpin' which is a more simple beat.
Additionally, like I said in the other chat, the freestyle leaked on the Bomb Azz Pussy beat which is labelled in the archives as being a Dre beat. I think all roads point to the same thing.
Edit - found it to illustrate my point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHr4XOLX4-w
-
Do you think the same thing was done with Kurupt's production credit on Tattoo Tearz?
edi mean helped kurupt on that beat.. which explains why it's nowhere NEAR the same level as the beat on so much style
-
edi mean helped kurupt on that beat.. which explains why it's nowhere NEAR the same level as the beat on so much style
looks like Edi's production skills are similar to his MC skills
-
You just have to listen to the demo versions of "What Would U Do?", "Respect" and "Just Doggin'" to see what Dr. Dre added to Daz's productions.
-
edi mean helped kurupt on that beat.. which explains why it's nowhere NEAR the same level as the beat on so much style
Makes sense. To me, So Much Style seemed pretty simplistic. I thought Tattoo Tearz OG sounded much better. Yeah to my knowledge Kurupt didn't have much production experience, just curious why they gave him production credits on that song. Anyone know if Kurupt ever had any other production credit around that time besides those two songs?
-
You just have to listen to the demo versions of "What Would U Do?", "Respect" and "Just Doggin'" to see what Dr. Dre added to Daz's productions.
Absolutely. Again this harkens back to the age old debate, what constitutes a 'producer' and that's an anecdotal question, don't wanna start that whole discussion here. I fully admit, i'm sure Dre came in at the end during the final process and touched up a few things here and there. Just like DJ Quik came in at the end of All Eyez on Me and touched up a bunch of songs....yet he didn't get production credit on anything other than Heartz of Men.
Listening to any demo or early version of a song is of course going to sound not as polished. Take Dre's own work, the OG Solo version of California Love sounds light years worse than the final mixed version. Doesn't mean he had someone else come in and finish 'producing' it (although rumor has it that DJ Quik did just that). Just means it didn't have the finishing touches applied yet, as did many of these early OG versions of songs you're listening to.
-
Makes sense. To me, So Much Style seemed pretty simplistic. I thought Tattoo Tearz OG sounded much better. Yeah to my knowledge Kurupt didn't have much production experience, just curious why they gave him production credits on that song. Anyone know if Kurupt ever had any other production credit around that time besides those two songs?
so much style is much more professional sounding from a layering and spacing perspective + bumps much harder .. you can prefer tatoo tears but sonically they're on 2 different levels.
kurupt also did the original hoes a housewife
-
Absolutely. Again this harkens back to the age old debate, what constitutes a 'producer' and that's an anecdotal question, don't wanna start that whole discussion here. I fully admit, i'm sure Dre came in at the end during the final process and touched up a few things here and there. Just like DJ Quik came in at the end of All Eyez on Me and touched up a bunch of songs....yet he didn't get production credit on anything other than Heartz of Men.
Listening to any demo or early version of a song is of course going to sound not as polished. Take Dre's own work, the OG Solo version of California Love sounds light years worse than the final mixed version. Doesn't mean he had someone else come in and finish 'producing' it (although rumor has it that DJ Quik did just that). Just means it didn't have the finishing touches applied yet, as did many of these early OG versions of songs you're listening to.
that constitutes a producer
it's clearly more than just "final touches"
what you're listening to is "california love" before it went into the production stage
-
Makes sense. To me, So Much Style seemed pretty simplistic. I thought Tattoo Tearz OG sounded much better. Yeah to my knowledge Kurupt didn't have much production experience, just curious why they gave him production credits on that song. Anyone know if Kurupt ever had any other production credit around that time besides those two songs?
Never Leave Me Alone - Nate Dogg Feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
-
that constitutes a producer
it's clearly more than just "final touches"
what you're listening to is "california love" before it went into the production stage
So is it your opinion that DJ Quik produced All Eyez on Me? I have the demo version of the album and most of the beats sound very stripped down compared to how the final product ended up. Quik seemed to do much more than just mix the album.
-
so much style is much more professional sounding from a layering and spacing perspective + bumps much harder .. you can prefer tatoo tears but sonically they're on 2 different levels.
kurupt also did the original hoes a housewife
its funny there's 3 versions of that track
the one on Kuruption, the one on Streetz, and the one on 2001
the last 2 were produced by Dre but the Streetz version is slightly different than the 2001 version
-
Never Leave Me Alone - Nate Dogg Feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
Ah yes, thank you, forgot about that one. Do you think this is another case of Kurupt getting 'ghost production' credit on this? I've obviously not listened to every kurupt interview, but i've never heard him talk about his production skills at all.
-
Makes sense. To me, So Much Style seemed pretty simplistic. I thought Tattoo Tearz OG sounded much better. Yeah to my knowledge Kurupt didn't have much production experience, just curious why they gave him production credits on that song. Anyone know if Kurupt ever had any other production credit around that time besides those two songs?
Never Leave Me Alone - Nate Dogg Feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
The only other one I know of is Ginseng Power from the One Nation sessions with 2Pac, LS and Asu.
-
The only other one I know of is Ginseng Power from the One Nation sessions with 2Pac, LS and Asu.
do you know who produced "These Reasons"?
I read some guy named Overdose but I cant really find anything about him so I suspect maybe Kurupt did that one as well
-
do you know who produced "These Reasons"?
I read some guy named Overdose but I cant really find anything about him so I suspect maybe Kurupt did that one as well
I don't know anything about Overdose, other than he also produced I Don't Bang No More. But I have him also down as producing These Reasons, so I think he's a real producer
*Edit - I was just looking up I don't bang on YouTube and lo and behold, Overdose is commenting on it, dropping some info. He also claims he did the drums on So Much Style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStcRjZAi8w
His channel - https://www.youtube.com/@OverdoseOverdose
-
its funny there's 3 versions of that track
the one on Kuruption, the one on Streetz, and the one on 2001
the last 2 were produced by Dre but the Streetz version is slightly different than the 2001 version
There's no intro on the 2001 version, other than that same song.
-
There's no intro on the 2001 version, other than that same song.
Naw, the 2001 version is much better. It has an added synth and it is just way crisper.
-
Naw, the 2001 version is much better. It has an added synth and it is just way crisper.
There's no intro on the 2001 version, other than that same song.
yeah the Streetz version was actually released in '98 on the "Ask Yourself a Question" single
also when Dre ends his verse he says Houston, Texas instead of Dallas, Texas
https://www.discogs.com/release/1772193-Kurupt-Ask-Yourself-A-Question-Hos-A-Housewife-Remix
(https://i.discogs.com/HlSt6Q-F3sRaZzG_WJYLdbSusdOVArhCjJpQzRD9Jak/rs:fit/g:sm/q:90/h:600/w:599/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTE3NzIx/OTMtMTM2NTA5NTI0/NS00NDMxLmpwZWc.jpeg)
-
I don't know anything about Overdose, other than he also produced I Don't Bang No More. But I have him also down as producing These Reasons, so I think he's a real producer
*Edit - I was just looking up I don't bang on YouTube and lo and behold, Overdose is commenting on it, dropping some info. He also claims he did the drums on So Much Style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStcRjZAi8w
His channel - https://www.youtube.com/@OverdoseOverdose
I always thought Smooth Jack produced that lol...I guess you cant believe anything you see on YT
the guy Mietek23 who put that up used to be on this forum awhile back
-
So is it your opinion that DJ Quik produced All Eyez on Me? I have the demo version of the album and most of the beats sound very stripped down compared to how the final product ended up. Quik seemed to do much more than just mix the album.
i definitely believe quik put in work on production
people like him and dre can't just go in to mix music without putting their creative touch on it .. it's just not in their nature
-
Ah yes, thank you, forgot about that one. Do you think this is another case of Kurupt getting 'ghost production' credit on this? I've obviously not listened to every kurupt interview, but i've never heard him talk about his production skills at all.
he definitely had help
don't forget, they had access to million dollar musicians and engineers in death row studios
that's why once RAW was released, daz beats started sounding way more stripped down
losing access to those resources makes a huge difference
-
Naw, the 2001 version is much better. It has an added synth and it is just way crisper.
yup
and one of them (forget which) had a loud hissing noise during the chorus
-
looks like Edi's production skills are similar to his MC skills
"Tatoo Tears" is dope — production and raps (though there are different versions so I will post my version later)
Pac thought enough of it to debut it on house of blues and that version sounded dope — the Still I Rise version was trash in production — and then the version I heard when the leaked the so-called BootCamp and 2pac album like 15 years ago that one was the best, I'll find it
-
"Tatoo Tears" is dope — production and raps (though there are different versions so I will post my version later)
Pac thought enough of it that he even debuted it at House of Blues. Unfortunate it didn't get proper release and would've fit well on the Gang Related soundtrack and been in good timing to put it there, or why wasn't it added to the Still I Rise album — even better
it was on still i rise
-
it was on still i rise
I know (my bad I had to edit cause I forgot, smh) but not the version I was thinking of... I actually spaced that because I always skipped that track on Still I Rise and forgot it was even on there, it will make sense when I post the Boot camp version once I get to my laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJjXWKBTfI?si=MJBwPMTQCc1Z3qCS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJjXWKBTfI
The production on this version is dope and song 10X better than Still I Rise version (also sounds like House of Blues version)
-
"Tatoo Tears" is dope — production and raps (though there are different versions so I will post my version later)
Pac thought enough of it to debut it on house of blues and that version sounded dope — the Still I Rise version was trash in production — and then the version I heard when the leaked the so-called BootCamp and 2pac album like 15 years ago that one was the best, I'll find it
yeah the quality of Pac's posthumous releases went down with every album
Until The End Of Time was dope but Better Dayz wasn't my favorite and then I don't even acknowledge the rest
Still I Rise for the most part I liked and probably my favorite was R U Still Down?
-
I always thought Smooth Jack produced that lol...I guess you cant believe anything you see on YT
the guy Mietek23 who put that up used to be on this forum awhile back
The comments by overdose suggest it's the same
Person! As I also had Smooth Jack down originally, but he confirmed they're the same person
-
The comments by overdose suggest it's the same
Person! As I also had Smooth Jack down originally, but he confirmed they're the same person
ok I have to read the comments now ;D
-
Naw, the 2001 version is much better. It has an added synth and it is just way crisper.
yeah the Dre "Ho is a Housewife" version is 10x better..
...The Kuruption version is wack, sloppy, like everything with the project...
--Sloppy release, got pushed back again and again and then ended up being released without the Nore joint and Dre joint even being on the tracklisting, smh
--Sloppy packaging, didn't have full tracklisting
--Sloppy lyrics, it was like as if he was just freestyling for half the album
--Sloppy ads, on BET like every commercial break he showed the ad and overexposed himself and lost some of his demand
--did some straight to Video type movie with Dre for "Ask Yourself" that was gonna be a release like Thriller or Murder was the Case or Snoops Da Game movie where it's like a long play music video that's near movie length -- yet that never got released
--Sloppy guest artist list, just like grabbed names to be homies wit them and say "oh I got a song with these dudes" but wasn't always justified musically
-
Daz production for RR&GB was very good. I think he had a lot of people like Soopafly though.
Realistically, funk west coast production in the 90's was just incredible. It seemed like anyone who tried it from the bay to LA just was able to produce something good. There are so many good records from that time period with producers who never really did a whole lot after the funk era died down.
I don't know exactly what it was. I'm sure it was a combination of samples, live instruments, and the sounds just being new and fresh.
-
yeah the Dre "Ho is a Housewife" version is 10x better..
...The Kuruption version is wack, sloppy, like everything with the project...
--Sloppy release, got pushed back again and again and then ended up being released without the Nore joint and Dre joint even being on the tracklisting, smh
--Sloppy packaging, didn't
--Sloppy lyrics, it was like as if he was just freestyling for half the album
--Sloppy ads, on BET like every commercial break he showed the ad and overexposed himself and lost some of his demand
--did some straight to Video type movie with Dre for "Ask Yourself" that was gonna be a release like Thriller or Murder was the Case or Snoops Da Game movie where it's like a long play music video that's near movie length -- yet that never got released
--Sloppy guest artist list, just like grabbed names to be homies wit them and say "oh I got a song with these dudes" but wasn't always justified musically
they're comparing streetz iz a mutha version with 2001 version
-
yeah the Dre "Ho is a Housewife" version is 10x better..
...The Kuruption version is wack, sloppy, like everything with the project...
--Sloppy release, got pushed back again and again and then ended up being released without the Nore joint and Dre joint even being on the tracklisting, smh
--Sloppy packaging, didn't
--Sloppy lyrics, it was like as if he was just freestyling for half the album
--Sloppy ads, on BET like every commercial break he showed the ad and overexposed himself and lost some of his demand
--did some straight to Video type movie with Dre for "Ask Yourself" that was gonna be a release like Thriller or Murder was the Case or Snoops Da Game movie where it's like a long play music video that's near movie length -- yet that never got released
--Sloppy guest artist list, just like grabbed names to be homies wit them and say "oh I got a song with these dudes" but wasn't always justified musically
you and I have discussed this album many times before and I felt the same way you did when it was released
and what's crazy is after all these years it still has its moments and then you start to wonder what might have been
We Can Freak It, Fresh, C Walk, Thats Gangsta, Ask Yourself a Question are all classic tracks
unfortunately the rest of the album is not
-
Daz production for RR&GB was very good. I think he had a lot of people like Soopafly though.
Realistically, funk west coast production in the 90's was just incredible. It seemed like anyone who tried it from the bay to LA just was able to produce something good. There are so many good records from that time period with producers who never really did a whole lot after the funk era died down.
I don't know exactly what it was. I'm sure it was a combination of samples, live instruments, and the sounds just being new and fresh.
yeah, I wonder who mixed down the RR&GB album because it was very polished and sequenced, pretty much to the Death Row gold standards of the mid-90's. You see a significant drop off in quality control when RAW was released
-
they're comparing streetz iz a mutha version with 2001 version
wow, yeah, I forgot Kurupt used the same song on two albums, smh
...in that case I agree the Streetz is a Mutha version was after Dre's polish so it's pretty much the same for all intents and purposes, the better comparison is to compare the Kuruption version of the track that Dre had nothing to do with