Author Topic: Is this the 1st Million $ deal ever in Rap?  (Read 597 times)

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
Is this the 1st Million $ deal ever in Rap?
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:13:42 AM »
I was listening to Nas' (Unauthorized Biography of Rakim) he says  "The 1st million dolla ever in rap 18th Letter did that" ?

is that true? I love 18th Letter is one of the greatest albums ever but i was wondering...no1 until Ra' did such a great job in rap?
i mean 18th letter was released in 97 until 97 none of Pac's album reached that high level ?!? or Snoop or Dre's??!

what you know about it?
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

ABN

Re: Is this the 1st Million $ deal ever in Rap?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:17:30 AM »
"the first million dollar deal ever in rap"

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 09:19:29 AM »
thats definately inaccurate.  didnt pac get 1.4 when suge signed him while he was in jail

ABN

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 09:22:35 AM »
thats definately inaccurate.  didnt pac get 1.4 when suge signed him while he was in jail
naw that was the bail money, Pac aint get none of that money. and when Pac signed that deal he signed it with only 1 out come and that was to leave Death Row as a broke man. he only had like 70k on his bank accounts when died so his deal sure wasn´t a great deal.

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:23:26 AM »
oh aright

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 09:24:59 AM »
Capitol records gave MC Hammer like 20 million after Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em came out.

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »
20 million.  no way.

ABN

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »
but i´m thinking Cash Money or No Limit got the biggest deal ever in rap. Cash Money got 30 million non-recoupable money in advance from Universal, then they got 4$ of every album they sold. and then Universal re-singed the deal with Cash Money giving them 80 million non-recoupable money. but Master P also got like 30 mill from Priority then he got 77% of the profits from the albums which is bascially unheard of in the music business. but the first TRU album with his brothers had sold 400k indie when he signed the deal so they had to give him a deal like that otherwise he would´ve stayed indie.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 09:44:29 AM »
pac had so lil money cuz suge fucked him over as he owed him a couple million and suge didnt wanna pay it so he organized pacs demise.

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 10:04:41 AM »
20 million. no way.

I don't remember the exact amount he got, but it was defenitely a lot more than a mil. 
They even had a huge press conference announcing the deal.  All the people at Hammers label were saying that since Please Hammer Dont Hurt Em sold so much, his next record would sell 30 million copies.  Boy were they wrong.

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 09:39:23 AM »
there's no way that Mc Hammer did so much... comparing to Ra's talent..shit i can't even compare that

so Nas is right...tight !
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 11:44:32 AM »
When he says "the 18th Letter did that".... he's not talking about the album named "18th Letter"... he's referring to Rakim...

the 18th letter = R
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 12:37:09 PM »
there's no way that Mc Hammer did so much... comparing to Ra's talent..shit i can't even compare that

Talent doesn't really have anything to do with it.  You might not remember, but that song "U Can't Touch This" helped Hammer sell a lot of records.  He was one of the first rappers to have major endorsement deals.  I think he had deals with Pepsi, KFC, and he even had his own Saturday morning cartoon.  Trust me Hammer made a hell of a lot more money than Rakim, even though he did eventually lose it all.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »
quote author=metalgear link=topic=101288.msg1049905#msg1049905 date=1138567029]

Talent doesn't really have anything to do with it. You might not remember, but that song "U Can't Touch This" helped Hammer sell a lot of records. He was one of the first rappers to have major endorsement deals. I think he had deals with Pepsi, KFC, and he even had his own Saturday morning cartoon. Trust me Hammer made a hell of a lot more money than Rakim, even though he did eventually lose it all.

Word. MC Hammer even had his own shoe from British Knights. Hammer was one of the first rappers to get millions off his record sales. He sold over 10 million copies of Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em. I don't think anyone sold that many until the Fugees dropped The Score. Hammer made something like $30 million in '91.

The time period Nas is referring regarding Rakim's million dollar deal was during the '80's. At the time million dollar deals for rappers was unheard of.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »
damn shame how hammer lost $30 million
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"