Author Topic: More Details on Nas' Deal With Def Jam  (Read 552 times)

AZ§o§a

• Muthafuckin' OG
More Details on Nas' Deal With Def Jam
« on: January 31, 2006, 05:42:41 PM »
Billboard magazine has more details about the deal Nas has with Def Jam.
"I've been in this business a long time and know what a great deal is," Nas (born Nasir Jones) tells Billboard. "I signed a significant and excellent situation."

The deal's terms have Def Jam parent Island Def Jam and Columbia parent Sony Music participating as financial partners in Nas' first two albums under the four-album deal. Def Jam will provide A&R, promotion and distribution for the two sets, while the labels will share marketing.

The recording budget for each album is $3 million. It has been reported that the $3 million includes advances for Nas, but sources familiar with the deal say the rapper received a separate, substantially higher advance.

Sony retains ownership of the masters from Nas' 11-year tenure with Columbia as well as the right to release a greatest-hits collection not shared with Def Jam. Under terms of the pact, Nas will deliver two new tracks for a Sony hits package. Sony may also include up to three tracks from the joint albums on a hits compilation. The company's executives declined to comment.

As for the Jones Experience imprint, it will concentrate "first and foremost on hip-hop," Nas says, adding that he is open to other genres. Signings will be announced shortly. "This is so much bigger than me and Jay-Z," he adds. "We're both excited by what this could potentially mean for hip-hop as a whole."

Source: Billboard

jeromechickenbone

Re: More Details on Nas' Deal With Def Jam
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »
You knew Nas had to be getting some paper to make this deal happen.  As long as he stays true to himself, i'll support.

macknlatin36

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 06:32:14 PM »
You knew Nas had to be getting some paper to make this deal happen.  As long as he stays true to himself, i'll support.

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »
I dunno about Nas under Def jam.I think it willnot fit his style.

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 06:49:44 PM »
You knew Nas had to be getting some major paper to make this deal happen.  As long as he stays true to himself, i'll support.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 06:53:27 PM »
I don't think Def Jam will get the sales to justify the paper they spent, BUT, I am glad an artist like Nas got a deal like this. It's a good way to end his career, and his getting the paper that he is owed from the Hip-Hop community. I think some good Hip-Hop will come from this.

AZ§o§a

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:21:29 PM »
this will do nothing but help nas... and the production work he gets

Elevz

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 04:22:49 AM »
Hold on a sec. Nas is getting himself a "Jones Experience" imprint, which means he can basically turn into a label owner now? That's dope, because I believe Nas knows how to find talent. Let's just hope his Def Jam albums can live up to the hype. After the mixed feelings people had after Street's Disciple even though I loved that album, he's sorta back to where he was in 2000 after dropping Nastradamus, except for his legend being certified this time around. The status of his career should motivate him to make another comeback like he did with Stillmatic.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 08:33:11 AM »
I don't really understand the deal.  Nas is starting to get old.  The timing just doesn't seem right.

I think his next album will probably have some big budget glossy beats by the Neptunes, and some fine video hoe's up in the video's, and Jay-Z guest appearances, and in the end the album will flop.  It will flop both commercially and critically. 

Nas is one of my top 3 favorite rappers of all time.  However, I don't support him getting down with Jay-Z.  Jay-Z puts so much into marketing albums, but I'm of the opinion that sometimes less is more.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

herpes

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 11:40:35 AM »
I don't really understand the deal.  Nas is starting to get old.  The timing just doesn't seem right.

yes b/c most people would turn down a great deal finacially to get pimped by another record deal.  And some you guys have a deep seeded hate for jay.  The man is a great rapper but after the nas/jay beef nas stans took it personal lol.  Nas is at a point in his career where he makes most of the decisons musically.  No one really knows what direction jay will take with other artists and the lable in general but most people assume he'll turn nas back in you owe me nas.

herpes

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 11:43:01 AM »
Hold on a sec. Nas is getting himself a "Jones Experience" imprint, which means he can basically turn into a label owner now? That's dope, because I believe Nas knows how to find talent. Let's just hope his Def Jam albums can live up to the hype. After the mixed feelings people had after Street's Disciple even though I loved that album, he's sorta back to where he was in 2000 after dropping Nastradamus, except for his legend being certified this time around. The status of his career should motivate him to make another comeback like he did with Stillmatic.
what has nas done to prove he can find talent lol.  the only rapper he found with talent was Quan. And dont tell me he found mega and AZ

coola

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 12:03:23 PM »

I think his next album will probably have some big budget glossy beats by the Neptunes, and some fine video hoe's up in the video's, and Jay-Z guest appearances, and in the end the album will flop.  It will flop both commercially and critically. 

Nas is one of my top 3 favorite rappers of all time.  However, I don't support him getting down with Jay-Z.  Jay-Z puts so much into marketing albums, but I'm of the opinion that sometimes less is more.

this album will be hot... nas isn't getting old, he is one of the greatest, and he will be until he decides to retire.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »

yes b/c most people would turn down a great deal finacially to get pimped by another record deal.  And some you guys have a deep seeded hate for jay.  The man is a great rapper but after the nas/jay beef nas stans took it personal lol.  Nas is at a point in his career where he makes most of the decisons musically.  No one really knows what direction jay will take with other artists and the lable in general but most people assume he'll turn nas back in you owe me nas.

I wasn't saying I thought Nas made a bad deal, I was actually saying that I think Def Jam made a bad deal.  More than that, I was saying that I think it is a bad deal artistically.

Look no further than Nas' "Last Tapes" album, and you'll see that he doesn't need high priced production and big-name guest appearances to put together a great album.  His greatest album "Illmatic" was also short on guest appearances.  He did have one big name producer on there but that was Primo, and Primo always stays true.  Infact, that album was overseen by MC Search, an underground rapper from 3rd Bass that people care little for; but he did an excellent job with the project.

As for me hating Jay-Z cause of his previous beef with Nas, no way man, you got to understand, I'm an old-school hip-hop head.  I've disliked Jay-Z ever since he came out.  I didn't even like his first album, and it came out in 96' when I used to think everything on the radio was hot.  I still hold the opinion that Jay-Z is an average rapper with zero charisma, who is the product of a great marketing team (and he also knows a thing or two about marketing).   Even his beef with Nas didn't inspire me much because even it seemed like another marketing strategy.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »

As for me hating Jay-Z cause of his previous beef with Nas, no way man, you got to understand, I'm an old-school hip-hop head.  I've disliked Jay-Z ever since he came out.  I didn't even like his first album, and it came out in 96' when I used to think everything on the radio was hot.  I still hold the opinion that Jay-Z is an average rapper with zero charisma, who is the product of a great marketing team (and he also knows a thing or two about marketing).   Even his beef with Nas didn't inspire me much because even it seemed like another marketing strategy.

Same with me. I've never liked Jay-Z and the thought of Jay-Z overseeing Nas's album concerns me.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 06:30:40 AM »
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.