Author Topic: dr. dre's resume.....seriously who's even close?  (Read 1925 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Re: dr. dre's resume.....seriously who's even close?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »
JD ain't got SHIT on The Good Doctor.

Nobody has.
NO MORE WAR

Matty

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2006, 02:53:35 PM »
what classic albums has primo been responsible for? probably the entire of gang starr's discography. nearly all classic albums and all produced entirely by him.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006, 03:02:14 PM »
in your opinion... imo i don't think gangstarr has made a whole album worthy of slapping a  classic title to, and on top of that all these "all time" lists i don't really see their albums on there either, so imma say that the sternest of hip hop critics agree as well but lets say every gangstarr album is a 5/5

where's his straight outta compton?
where's his chronic?
when has he done the impossible? making a white guy cool? has he been able to appeal to the masses and the critics at the same time?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

WestCoasta

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2006, 06:01:44 PM »
he also 'only' mixed Dogg Food.. didnt produce a single song

Dr. Dre dickriders like to make his discography look even better than it already is. Jacob is a good example.

yeah... I like Dre but it has always pissed me off when idiots give him 100% credit for "Dogg Food"

it's so funny how just because he mixed it and supposedly "ghost produced" some tracks on it that they give him all the credit

when it's a well known fact that Dre has tons of co-producers and shit.... I don't know how many time I've seen "Produced by Dr. Dre & ****"

I'm not a hater and I'm not trying to downgrade his shit, it's just people need to think a little more about these kind of things

I like Dre as much as the next person but as I've said before he gets way way too much credit added to the brilliant shit he's already done

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 06:11:11 PM by We$t Coa$t »

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2006, 06:14:47 PM »
Dr. Dre and DJ Quik are neck and neck IMO. Dre has the track record, catalog, and the influence. DJ Quik is more musical, innovative, and consistent. I enjoy DJ Quik's music more so I give the edge to Quik for that reason but not by much.

I don't think any other producers are on that level. RZA is close but he kind of vanished after Wu-Tang forever. JD and DJ Premier don't have anything as innovative as Doggystyle or Rhythmalism. Prince Paul (De La Soul's producer) hasn't been mentioned by anyone, but he's produced some of the most innovative records in hip hop history. Bahloone Mindstate is one of the most daring hip hop records ever made. You can't forget Ant Banks either, he pioneered the bay area sound.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

WestCoasta

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2006, 06:29:48 PM »
Ant Banks is real cool..... he's one of those producers who you pretty much never hear a wack beat from

Buhda

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »
actually i've just relised there is ONE producer who has a more impressive resume than dre who started in the rap/hip hop world and expanded to everything else...........anyone wanna take a stab?

It wouldn't be Rick Rubin would it?

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2006, 07:16:52 PM »
To the threadstarter, I don't know what the fuck you are talkin about sayin dre supervised AEOM. Dre DIDN'T shit on that album except for produce two songs. In the making of AEOM the producers, engineers, guest artists...they all said dre didn't do shit on the album except for the two songs. You are reachin higher than pluto to include AEOM on the list. It's very insulting, incorrect, and criminal to the ppl who actually PRODUCED the album to say dre is responsible for the classic that is AEOM.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2006, 07:23:35 PM »
To the threadstarter, I don't know what the fuck you are talkin about sayin dre supervised AEOM. Dre DIDN'T shit on that album except for produce two songs. In the making of AEOM the producers, engineers, guest artists...they all said dre didn't do shit on the album except for the two songs. You are reachin higher than pluto to include AEOM on the list. It's very insulting, incorrect, and criminal to the ppl who actually PRODUCED the album to say dre is responsible for the classic that is AEOM.
Even Quik did alot more on the album than Dre. He only produced 1 track but mixed most of disc 1 and used the talkbox on some tracks.

J Bananas

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 07:30:44 PM »
^what classic albums has primo been largly responsible for

have you ever heard of gangstarr? he's half of the duo. they pretty much set the precedent for new york hip hop. the other guys name is guru. he's not that hot an mc, so premo pretty much shines on all the albums. i suggest you check out one of their albums. dj premier has also produced countless tracks for Nas, fat joe, the lox, pretty much every nigga from york whos sold a platinum album. i think premo is largely responsible for the sound of new york hip hop. its pretty safe to say his catalogue rivals dre's. plus he never had a slump phase like the firm or aftermath album, pretty solid 15+ years

Matty

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2006, 08:08:33 PM »
i think even more importantly primo is still pumping out beats for everyone whereas dre has got his money and is grinding to a hault with with his notoriously slow aftermath label. i'm not actually making an argument against dre but i think dj premier has been just as influential and has a completely different style.

SGV

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2006, 10:43:54 PM »
rza can't say he's revolutionized  the game like dre, he's had one era from 93-95 , yes he had 4 or 5 classics (if you stretch them) but where is his "straight outta compton"? where is his  "chronic" where is his sslp?

he's got enter the wu and  3 or 4 other classics that are the same album basically but with another member featured more, he's got a good track record too, most definately but it still doesn't measure up

4. sgv, you're not going to give dre, the marshall mathers lp? u relize that when we look back on that album in 20 years it's going to be one of those epic landmarks of our time , kinda like "are you experienced" is to people who went through the sixties " the wall" is to people of the 70's  "purple rain" is to people of the 80's ? i mean c'mon dre only mixed, produced, and executive produced the album...

Rza's Straight Outta Compton "Enter The Wu." His Chronic "Liquid Swordz. His SSLP (LMAO) "Tical."

Marshall Mathers LP was not that good. Sorry!

Dre's "traditional R&B" as you call it, is nowhere near as memorable as JD's "contemporary R&B." How Traditional is that Mary J. Blige song Dre did? lol. Sorry man, but all the shit JD has done for Usher and Mariah Carey SHITS on Dre's R&B material. So, yes, JD is more versatyle with his shit.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2006, 10:53:07 PM »

hey i'm just going off what i saw and heard 2pac say himself

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2006, 10:58:56 PM »
^what classic albums has primo been largly responsible for

have you ever heard of gangstarr? he's half of the duo. they pretty much set the precedent for new york hip hop. the other guys name is guru. he's not that hot an mc, so premo pretty much shines on all the albums. i suggest you check out one of their albums. dj premier has also produced countless tracks for Nas, fat joe, the lox, pretty much every nigga from york whos sold a platinum album. i think premo is largely responsible for the sound of new york hip hop. its pretty safe to say his catalogue rivals dre's. plus he never had a slump phase like the firm or aftermath album, pretty solid 15+ years

1. yes i've heard of gangstarr, i bet i was listening to them while you were still istening to kriss kross
2. no shit he's half of the duo with guru, omg
3 . setting the precendent for ny hip hop? u sure you wanna say that
4. guru isn't that hot of an MC? wow why are you still talking and trying to make an argument if u say that
5. exactly primo has only produced 1 or 2 songs on a major classic album, he's never produced a whole one of those, and as good as primo's sound is it hasn't changed in like 16 years it's the same formula over and over again, that's why i respect people like dre and timbo, they get hot for a certain sound then change it up and manage to be hotter and better than ever, the reason why primo hasn't "slumped" is cuz he doesn't take musical chances....

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2006, 11:00:15 PM »
actually i've just relised there is ONE producer who has a more impressive resume than dre who started in the rap/hip hop world and expanded to everything else...........anyone wanna take a stab?

It wouldn't be Rick Rubin would it?

yep

dude has produced classics from almost every genre, i give him all the props in the world