Author Topic: Springsteen tackles Seeger (New Album with audio clips)  (Read 79 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Springsteen tackles Seeger (New Album with audio clips)
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:35:31 PM »
Bruce Springsteen has a new album out in a few weeks; April 25th to be exact and he's doing something different (like he usually does). For the first time Springsteen is releasing a cover album of songs written by or made famous by the one and only Pete Seeger. Bruce brings his own style to the folk legend's work accompanied by a very large band. Now this isn't a rock album in the slightest but it isn't a slow acoustic album either. It's a very energetic, almost hillbilly album with a lot of horns, fiddles, and backing vocals. From everyhting I've heard it should be a very fun sounding album with a few great ballads in between. The album is titled the Seeger Sessions and I'm looking forward to it. (Trauma I know you couldn't care less).

Here's some info and the 30 second clips;

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?selectionId=682867&sms=ast-springsteen-seeger

And here's the full band;

For anyone interested; That's La Bamba from Late Night With Conan O'Brien on Bruce's left.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:39:47 PM by Shallow »

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Springsteen tackles Seeger (New Album with audio clips)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 12:38:05 PM »
I've been looking forward to this, the release date coincides with the week I plan on beginning working.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 12:47:13 PM »
I've been looking forward to this, the release date coincides with the week I plan on beginning working.

Most long time Boss fans are displeased with the fact that's not a Rock album since they want more E Street stuff, but better this than nothing. Nothing would be better than a new rock album with the old band but from what I hear the tour won't be too long and he has a lot of rock songs waiting to be recorded so a new E Street album may not be far away.

I don't know how well this'll do but if it can grab some of the 6 million fans of the O Brother Where Thou soundtrack it could do alright. I'm not expecting big sales though, but I can't wait for the tour to start up. People that saw him play a few tracks live said the show remnded them of a jam band just kicking it with long interludes of each musician having fun. They compared it to watching The Band play on The Last Waltz, which can only be a good thing.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 12:58:38 PM »
Of course, as most fans, would prefer the E-Street band involved but it's nice to see a new album in any case. I mean he's been around for so long and just released an album last year. Most people around as long as him release an album only every 3-4 years if not longer.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »
Of course, as most fans, would prefer the E-Street band involved but it's nice to see a new album in any case. I mean he's been around for so long and just released an album last year. Most people around as long as him release an album only every 3-4 years if not longer.

I'm not complaing one bit though. I've been waiting for him to go full out roots country ever since he started teasing it in the 80s. He actually had a great country song in 1969 or 1970 with his band Steel Mill. I hope he plays it on the tour. I'm going to yell it out a few times at the conert. I hope he remembers how to play it. Over the years his written some great country/bluegrass songs that would work well on this tour, as well as countrified versions of his old songs. He a nice coutry version of Dancing in the Dark back in '99. I'll post a few unreleased songs today or tomorrow that I think would work on this tour.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 01:11:21 PM »
You guys will have to excuse my ignorance...

Max Weinberg is / was in the E-Street band, correct?  What about the guy holding the trombone sitting next to BS in that pic?  Isn't that La Bamba who is a part of Conan O'Brians band on Late Night?  Obviously Max is in the Late Night band, so my question is - Is La Bamba a part of the E-Street band, or did he get associated with BS via Weinberg?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »
You guys will have to excuse my ignorance...

Max Weinberg is / was in the E-Street band, correct?  What about the guy holding the trombone sitting next to BS in that pic?  Isn't that La Bamba who is a part of Conan O'Brians band on Late Night?  Obviously Max is in the Late Night band, so my question is - Is La Bamba a part of the E-Street band, or did he get associated with BS via Weinberg?

Weinberg was the drummer for the E Street Band between '75 and '87, and came back to the band when they reunited in '95 and '99, and is the current drummer. La Bamba is not a member of the E Street Band but Richie "LaBamba" Rosenberg  has been a member of The Asbury Jukes in '76 and has toured and recorded with SouthSide Johnny and The Asbury Jukes for years. SouthSide was part of the whole E Street sound of the 70s and many of his songs were produced and written by either Springsteen or Little Steven Van Zandt (Sylvio from the Sopranos). Mark Pender who also plays on this new Springsteen record was and maybe still is part of the Miami Horns who tour with and record Southside and sometimes with Springsteen over the years, and Pender is also part of the Max Weinberg Seven. A few guys from the 7 are Jersey musicians that Max has known for years. La Bamba has been around Springsteen for years though and even sang back up vocals on No Surrender from Born in the USA.