Author Topic: To the non-blacks on here...do you watch BET?  (Read 1422 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
To the non-blacks on here...do you watch BET?
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:49:29 AM »
I am just curious if a lot of people who aren't black watch BET. In High School, most of the white people seemed to think it was racist and they were like "Would you be mad if they started White Entertainment TV?" and I was like no, but I'd laugh because it would be called WET. But I have heard a few white guys since I have been in college say that they saw this n that on BET, and I had no idea that they watched it.

If you do or don't, how do you feel about it? Personally, most adults and many blacks in their 20s seem to think it is very stereotypical, and many of us are ashamed to watch some of the shows and videos they watch. We are also mad that they cancelled all the positive shows that they used to have back in the 90s and early 2000's.

ABN

Re: To the non-blacks on here...do you watch BET?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:53:18 AM »
well i´m black and i don´t live in america. but i used to watch it when we had it a few years ago. didn´t really watch it too much coz most of the shows just made me ashamed to be black.

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:59:36 AM »
im not black, i mainly watch to see some new music videos here and there

on a side ntoe, lol on the WET thing  :laugh:

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 09:41:11 AM »
I always had issues with calling it Black Entertainment Television but not because there was no WET, since NBC, ABC, and CBS were already as WET as you could get (of course given the fact that the country was 12% black I don't see why any business wouldn't cater more to the vast majority). What bothered me is the "hey look at us we're black and we have our own network" type thing that goes with calling something BET. They could have called it anything and focused on finding the best art by the best black artists and really showcase black artists (not just music) since most of Hollywood and the TV world wasn't. I think calling it BET made the people on it, and behind it look like victims struggling to acheive equality, and while that may have been true in the real world it doesn't mean it has to be presented as such. Like at the Oscars when Oprah's friend Gail King was interviewing Terrence Howard, and then Will Smith showed up, followed by Morgan Freeman, followed by Queen Latifah, and then Jada Pinket; Gail screamed out "Black people at the Oscars y'all". Despite the fact it looked staged it made it seem like the "finally" made it here, when I think they should treat it like of course we're here, we deserve to be because we're god enough. It's a subtle difference from what was shown but I feel it sends the wrong message to young blacks that may be watching Oprah. When Bill Cosby debuted his show there was very little that made it seem like it was groundbreaking with in the show. The point of the show was we are people and we do great things, not black people who don't live in the ghetto. The black part was never shoved down anyone's throat and for that reason I feel the Cosby show had such a great impact on society. It would constently have 30 million viewers every week, much higher than any show on today. Sherman Hemsley did much of the same thing with his George Jefferson character. He didn't forget about the struggles and place in society blacks had but he approached with a level of dignity and assurance that most shows, particularly on BET don't approach it with.

BET now is a joke though, regardless of the name, all it does is further stereotypes for 90% of the time, throw in a documentary on Roots every now and then, and make Martin Luther King's speech the greatest music video of all time (I didn't undertstand that either), and they think they are making progress, or at least want people to think that.

To answer the initial question, I watched it in high school since I was into rap and pretty much everyone I knew watched. I couldn't tell you what most white people though of it since I was 1 of maybe 7 or 8 white kids in my high school, and 1 of 6 or 7 white people living on me street.

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
I used to watch it back in like 98-2001 but then the cable company took it away  >:(

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »
I got to agree with R-Tistic when he says that show makes me ashamed of being black. They've pretty much tuned out anything relevent on that channel. It seems like they are catoring to what they think people want to see and that's the only effort they are putting in to it. Most the black people I know either don't watch it or reluctantly watch it because it's ther main "source" for black culture despite the fact that they think it's sub par. Like Shallow said "BET now is a joke though, regardless of the name, all it does is further stereotypes for 90% of the time." In the end it's just another company owned by Viacom. I see black people on the screen, but can someone please tell me where the black culture is? Pop music, syndicates, and old movies, that's what 70% of the show is. :P

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 10:08:39 AM »
in Romania BET is not available, just MTV..not even MTV2 but i don't watch TV for the simple fact that i hate media (although i study journalism) but if BET was on my cable i'd surely watch it. Anyway...i have all this stuff for free..i can't imagine what would happen if i'd had a resonable internet speed...i get all that for free..all fresh videos.
Remember when "put you on the game" was premiered on trl? thanx to dubcc i had it like 4 hours after the premiere so...i'm satisfied  ;D
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 10:09:46 AM »
I used to watch it when I liked music videos...Shows like "Rap City" & "Uncut" were the shit back then. Now all the music channels are just gaysauce.

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »
That's like dissing those Korean and Spanish networks fo rhaving their own programming.

I don't go near BET now. It's pure bullshit. I used to try to watch Comic View.....but the white/black comparision jokes got old a long time ago.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 11:55:43 AM »
What were the positive shows they used to have? 

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 01:09:26 PM »
no i dont. nor do i watch mtv.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 01:29:17 PM »

We Fly High

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 01:31:17 PM »
im asian, im not black, but being a minority is always easier to relate.  i used to watch it. i used to only for music videos, but now i just go to VH-1 Soul or MTV 2 jams or whatever. bet has pretty crappy programming anyways. pick the crappiest movies and the crappiest tv shows. The Corner was the best thing they did in a long time. but yeah i used to be big on mtv/bet and shit like that, but that shit bores me now.

PLANT

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 02:30:57 PM »
They have some good programs......Access Granted for Ice Cuibes new video is on Friday night, so Ill prolly be checking that out.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 02:35:22 PM »
Yes I watch it