Poll

Top 10 2nd Round Steals. Who's The Best

Cliff Robinson (36th overall by Portland)
0 (0%)
Nick Van Exel (37th overall by Lakers
4 (14.8%)
Stephen Jackson (43rd overall by Phoenix)
0 (0%)
Rashard Lewis (32nd Overall by Seattle)
1 (3.7%)
Cuttino Mobley (41st Overall by Houston)
1 (3.7%)
Manu Ginobli (57th Overall by San Antonio)
9 (33.3%)
Michael Redd (43rd overall by Milwaukee)
3 (11.1%)
Gilbert Arenas (31st overall by Golden State)
9 (33.3%)
Mehmet Okur (38th Overall by Detroit)
0 (0%)
Carlos Boozer (35th overall by Cleveland)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: 15 Years Of NBA 2nd Round Steals (1989-2004). Who’s The Best?  (Read 947 times)

keepin_it_real

Re: 15 Years Of NBA 2nd Round Steals (1989-2004). Who’s The Best?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 02:25:27 AM »
wouldn't be hard to win most improved considering how bad he was, Gheorge Muresan was wack he had no co-ordination, half the players you highlighted weren't steals.

Gilbert Arenas, Rashard Lewis, Michael Redd, Manu Ginobili, Carlos Boozer are steals...

Gheorge Muresan... is NOT.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 11:26:55 AM »
wouldn't be hard to win most improved considering how bad he was, Gheorge Muresan was wack he had no co-ordination, half the players you highlighted weren't steals.

Gilbert Arenas, Rashard Lewis, Michael Redd, Manu Ginobili, Carlos Boozer are steals...

Gheorge Muresan... is NOT.

Are you dumb? Look at the majority of 2nd rounders. Most of them don't even make it to play in the NBA. Anyone with so much as a decent career who came out the second round is considered a steal. Gheorge Muresan was DEFINITELY a steal, he was at one point a major asset to his team, and a dominant force on the inside. 15 point and 10 rebounds a game is no joke...To get that from a second rounder is GREAT.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 11:32:41 AM »
As for my vote, it went to Arenas...Ginobli is good and all, but Arenas just carries his team, and I actually think Ginobli has already peaked while Arenas will excel...Career wise, it's definitely Van Exel as of now, but Arenas is just the best overall player to come out the 2nd round...PeACe

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 06:08:53 PM »
As for my vote, it went to Arenas...Ginobli is good and all, but Arenas just carries his team, and I actually think Ginobli has already peaked while Arenas will excel...Career wise, it's definitely Van Exel as of now, but Arenas is just the best overall player to come out the 2nd round...PeACe

plus, Manu is a Spur...

Naw, but its hard to really pick.  U got players like the ones u just mentioned who are great, but others on the list who were a little less then great, but did it for a whole career. Who knows how these younger guys will be seen by the end of their career.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 03:30:41 PM »
How 'bout this years draft? It was one of the deepest drafts in a while...Hard to tell this early who will make it and who wont, but as of now, here are some players who have looked like steals...

31 Atlanta Hawks Salim Stoudamire, Arizona
32 LA Clippers Daniel Ewing, Duke
33 New Orleans Hornets Brandon Bass, LSU
34 Utah Jazz C.J. Miles, Skyline H.S. (Tex)
35 Portland Trail Blazers Ricky Sanchez, IMG Academy
36 Milwaukee Bucks Ersan Ilyasova, Ulker Istanbul 
37 LA Lakers Ronny Turiaf, Gonzaga
38 Orlando Magic Travis Diener, Marquette
39 LA Lakers Von Wafer, Florida State
40 Golden State Warriors Monta Ellis, Lanier H.S. (Miss.) 
41 Toronto Raptors Roko Ujic, KK Split (Croatia)
42 Golden State Warriors Chris Taft, Pittsburgh
43 New Jersey Nets Mile Ilic, BC Reflex (Serbia & Montenegro)
44 Orlando Magic Martynas Andriuskevicius, Zalgiris (Lithuania)
45 Philadelphia 76ers Louis Williams, South Gwinnett HS (Ga.) 
46 Indiana Pacers Erazem Lorbek, Climamio Bologna (Italy)
47 Minnesota Timberwolves Bracey Wright, Indiana
48 Seattle SuperSonics Mickael Gelabale, Real Madrid (Spain)
49 Washington Wizards Andray Blatche, South Kent Prep (Conn.) 
50 Boston Celtics Ryan Gomes, Providence
51 Utah Jazz Robert Whaley, Walsh University
52 Denver Nuggets Axel Hervelle, Real Madrid (Spain)
53 Boston Celtics Orien Green, La.-Lafayette
54 New York Knicks (to Phoenix) Dijon Thompson, UCLA
55 Seattle SuperSonics (to Memphis) Lawrence Roberts, Mississippi State
56 Detroit Pistons Amir Johnson, Westchester H.S. (Calif.)
57 Phoenix Suns Marcin Gortat, RheinEnergie Koln (Germany) 
58 Toronto Raptors Uros Slokar, Snaidero Udine (Italy)
59 Atlanta Hawks Cenk Akyol, Efes Pilsen (Turkey)
60 Detroit Pistons Alex Acker, Pepperdine

A lot more look promising for the future though...

Wild_Elmo

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 06:28:10 PM »
pj brown has had the best career

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »
pj brown has had the best career

lmao

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 06:51:04 PM »
Wasn't Cliff Robinson a big part of those Blazer teams that went to the NBA Finals in the early 90's ???

I got to go with gilbert Arenas, he's a 2 time all'star and he's avg 29+ ppg this season...

keepin_it_real

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 10:01:26 PM »
Are you dumb? Look at the majority of 2nd rounders. Most of them don't even make it to play in the NBA. Anyone with so much as a decent career who came out the second round is considered a steal. Gheorge Muresan was DEFINITELY a steal, he was at one point a major asset to his team, and a dominant force on the inside. 15 point and 10 rebounds a game is no joke...To get that from a second rounder is GREAT.

haha I don't think anybody who comes out the 2nd round is a steal, they a steal if they become a great player and a leader for their team, I'm just not going to put Gheorge Muresan, in the same class as Gilbert Areanas, Rashard Lewis, Michael Redd or Manu Ginobili, dude averaged 9.8 points & 6.4 rebounds for his career... that's not really a steal in my opinion.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 10:03:17 AM »

haha I don't think anybody who comes out the 2nd round is a steal, they a steal if they become a great player and a leader for their team, I'm just not going to put Gheorge Muresan, in the same class as Gilbert Areanas, Rashard Lewis, Michael Redd or Manu Ginobili, dude averaged 9.8 points & 6.4 rebounds for his career... that's not really a steal in my opinion.

Dude, are you okay? 9.8 points and 6.4 rebounds for your career is EXCELLENT when you were drafted in the second round, not even debatable whether that's a steal or not. You're right, he's not in the same category as Gilbert Arenas or Michael Redd, that's why I narrowed down the list of steals to the 10 best, which DIDN'T include him...That doesn't mean that everyone else I highlighted wasn't a steal. LOL...Make sense, please. Like I said, most players drafted in the 2nd round never even make an NBA roster...Sure Muresan wouldn't have been a steal if he was drafted in the top 10, but since he dropped all the way to the second round and considering the players drafted ahead of him (some who never even made the NBA), he WAS a steal...PeACe

keepin_it_real

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2006, 07:25:39 PM »
dude, are you okay? ur getting cut up cause I don't think Gheorge Muresan was a steal, he was an average player for like 6 or 7 seasons is all i'm saying. I just wouldn't call that a steal man.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2006, 09:08:01 PM »
Nick the Quik Van Exel  8) He was my favorite Laker in the mid 90's.

Actually it's Gilbert Arenas who's the biggest talent in that group.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 10:42:58 PM »
dude, are you okay? ur getting cut up cause I don't think Gheorge Muresan was a steal, he was an average player for like 6 or 7 seasons is all i'm saying. I just wouldn't call that a steal man.

LOL. You're MISSING THE POINT. I'm not getting cut up, I'm trying to point something out to you. YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE A GREAT CAREER TO BE CONSIDERED A STEAL IN THE SECOND ROUND. Even so much as a career makes you a steal in the second round, because like I said, most people drafted in the second round never even become NBA players...Joe Meyers and Stu Lantz were talking about Monta Ellis and how much of a steal he was in the second round during last nights Lakers-Warriors game. Now, it's pretty self-evident that Monta Ellis will never be a Manu Ginobli or a Gilbert Arenas, but due to the fact that he was drafted in the 2nd round and he looks to have a career ahead of him (could range anywhere from decent to good), he's still considered a steal...Everyone I highlighted (including Muresan) was considered a 2nd round steal at some point in their career, due to the low (or no) expectations people have for second-rounders...PeACe

keepin_it_real

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 07:19:17 AM »
yeah man I see where u comin' from, I jus wouldn't consider them a steal but its all good peace