Author Topic: Question for NON Americans  (Read 340 times)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Question for NON Americans
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:41:45 AM »
No disrespect or anything I just wanted to know this for a long time

How the hell does rap and hip hop get so well known to other countries? I see Suge Knight and like MC Eiht and all these other rappers that alot of ya'll be knowing and how do they get familiar in your country? And like ya'll know so much about America and shit but I barely know anything about whats going on in Europe etc.. Is it cuz ya'll just smart?  :-\ and we or maybe just me is so dumb? I mean I never hear no foreign artists except for like The Beatles or Elton John. I'm just surprised that ya'll know what the fuck Death Row is and who T.i. is..Or do ya'll just know it all becuz of the internet?

Peacock

• 'G'
  • but no worries, I protected my "investment"
Re: Question for NON Americans
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 08:44:34 AM »

Throwback

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 08:46:13 AM »
because of the internet, foo'.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:01:55 AM »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »
:crazy mad russian scientist accent: "itz all becakause of zee internet"

BJV

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 09:59:53 AM »
U start getting to know one artist that is known over here and then u got look for more similar music and somewhere along the way u end up on dubcnn craving g funk beats  ???

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 10:16:49 AM »
because of the internet, foo'.

+

Is it cuz ya'll just smart?
yep  8)

+  when i 1st started i was reading all the biographies of "fav rappers" ...and by searching on google all types of words like : gangsta rap, westcoast rap, underground  i ended on a site igangsta.com   can u imagine?!? i didn't made an account then cause i didn't owned a pc and kickin it at an i cafe is kinda useless. But if you love it you'll get it...now I don't wanna sound proud but i don't think that are many romanians who know the shit i know, who own the shit i own..and all that thanks to you guys, to hook up, to news and shit. to the irc channels, to all you muthaphuckaz. I got love for my dawgz, cause they holla @ me...
on irc they used to have this topic "share is love, trade is gay"  ;D Oh and it's all about the internet man, I went to "Cat Music" one of the biggest music stores around here and asked about an MC Ren album they looked at me like "Who? Oh no..." and when i turned they checkin me out like "he tryin be smart on us". that's what i'm saying..the other Europeans can suck a dick cause they have it on their corner original and cheaper, but in my country the only thing they would think about is promoting Hip Hop culture LOL   
   And you know what's funny? that Europeans know way much about Hip Hop than the Americans do, you know why? cause they don't live there, hip hop isn't bangin at every corner in their hoods, it doesn't come "on plate" for us. You Americans got the shit around you and most of y'all don't give a fuck about it..there is so much to save in Hip Hop and you just let it pass by...

One Luv from Europe II Left Coast
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 10:25:43 AM »
very few rappers get the attention of the mainsteam in the UK, they might have one hit song that gets played alot, but their albums wont sell

K A I N

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:36:13 AM »
Television before
Television/Internet now

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:55:29 AM »

How the hell does rap and hip hop get so well known to other countries? I see Suge Knight and like MC Eiht and all these other rappers that alot of ya'll be knowing and how do they get familiar in your country? And like ya'll know so much about America and shit but I barely know anything about whats going on in Europe etc.. Is it cuz ya'll just smart?  :-\ and we or maybe just me is so dumb? I mean I never hear no foreign artists except for like The Beatles or Elton John. I'm just surprised that ya'll know what the fuck Death Row is and who T.i. is..Or do ya'll just know it all becuz of the internet?

I like this question...

If U think itz kinda strange that people outside from tha US know so much about hip hop these dayz check this out:

I been listenin' 2 hip hop since 1986 it really got me started when I saw this documentary on Dutch television called Big Fun In The Big City by sum Dutch/Belgium people, now this was 1986 can U imagine these muthafuckaz actually goin' 2 tha Bronx and shit interviewin' people like Grandmaster Flash, DMC, Schoolly-D?? They showed footage of block partiez in Queens, Schoolly-D and DJ Codemoney live on stage, Roxanne Shante and Bizmarkie live on stage, MC Shan live on stage, Run DMC in tha studio etc etc etc... They played alotta hip hop classicz in tha documentary as well; South Bronx (BDP), The Bridge (MC Shan), I Don't Like Rock N Roll (Schoolly-D), Say What U Wanna Say (Luvbug Starski) etc etc etc... My moms shook her head but I was like I'm feelin'this...

Now at tha same time Dutch radio had 2 programz dedicated 2 hip hop, itz 1986 goin' into 1987 and artistz like Public Enemy, NWA, Salt N Pepa, Schoolly-D, Eric B & Rakim, Just-Ice, BDP, Ice-T, Heavy-D & The Boyz, Run DMC, TLA Rock, LL Cool J, Whodini, Mantronix,2 Live Crew, B-Fats, Kid N Play
I can go on and on are gettin' airplay on Dutch radio (no radio editz only tha explicit versionz)...

I was like 11/12 yearz old at that time wit NO internet, NO The Source, NO XXL, NO MAJOR exposure of hip hop in tha Dutch media, and I was recitin' rap lyricz on tha schoolyard from songz like Saturday Night (Schoolly-D), Public Enemy No. 1, Dope Man, I Know You Got Soul, We Want Some Pussy etc...

Tha point I'm tryin' 2 get across here iz even WITHOUT tha internet or other modern technology hip hop has alwayz been big and known around tha world even 20 yearz ago!!! If I needed info I just listened 2 those 2 programz on tha radio or read Dutch/UK muzick magazinez that supported hip hop and I actually listened 2 tha lyricz of rap songz...

U took MC Eiht and Suge Knight as an example: I first heard CMW in tha spring of 1990 and as far as Suge Knight goes muthafuckaz around here knew who he was before Snoop'z Doggystyle dropped...

And 4 all y'all (older) UK catz here; I remember readin' NME, listenin' 2 Hijack, Derek B, Faze-One, The Cookie Crew, Silver Bullet, Daddy Ashford all that real UK hip hop shit from back in tha day...

Hip hop iz truly large and universal, alwayz has been and alwayz will be!!!

Pz

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 11:30:34 AM »

I like this question...

If U think itz kinda strange that people outside from tha US know so much about hip hop these dayz check this out:

I been listenin' 2 hip hop since 1986 it really got me started when I saw this documentary on Dutch television called Big Fun In The Big City by sum Dutch/Belgium people, now this was 1986 can U imagine these muthafuckaz actually goin' 2 tha Bronx and shit interviewin' people like Grandmaster Flash, DMC, Schoolly-D?? They showed footage of block partiez in Queens, Schoolly-D and DJ Codemoney live on stage, Roxanne Shante and Bizmarkie live on stage, MC Shan live on stage, Run DMC in tha studio etc etc etc... They played alotta hip hop classicz in tha documentary as well; South Bronx (BDP), The Bridge (MC Shan), I Don't Like Rock N Roll (Schoolly-D), Say What U Wanna Say (Luvbug Starski) etc etc etc... My moms shook her head but I was like I'm feelin'this...

Now at tha same time Dutch radio had 2 programz dedicated 2 hip hop, itz 1986 goin' into 1987 and artistz like Public Enemy, NWA, Salt N Pepa, Schoolly-D, Eric B & Rakim, Just-Ice, BDP, Ice-T, Heavy-D & The Boyz, Run DMC, TLA Rock, LL Cool J, Whodini, Mantronix,2 Live Crew, B-Fats, Kid N Play
I can go on and on are gettin' airplay on Dutch radio (no radio editz only tha explicit versionz)...

I was like 11/12 yearz old at that time wit NO internet, NO The Source, NO XXL, NO MAJOR exposure of hip hop in tha Dutch media, and I was recitin' rap lyricz on tha schoolyard from songz like Saturday Night (Schoolly-D), Public Enemy No. 1, Dope Man, I Know You Got Soul, We Want Some Pussy etc...

Tha point I'm tryin' 2 get across here iz even WITHOUT tha internet or other modern technology hip hop has alwayz been big and known around tha world even 20 yearz ago!!! If I needed info I just listened 2 those 2 programz on tha radio or read Dutch/UK muzick magazinez that supported hip hop and I actually listened 2 tha lyricz of rap songz...

U took MC Eiht and Suge Knight as an example: I first heard CMW in tha spring of 1990 and as far as Suge Knight goes muthafuckaz around here knew who he was before Snoop'z Doggystyle dropped...

And 4 all y'all (older) UK catz here; I remember readin' NME, listenin' 2 Hijack, Derek B, Faze-One, The Cookie Crew, Silver Bullet, Daddy Ashford all that real UK hip hop shit from back in tha day...

Pz

damn..how old are you? 40?  :D
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 11:36:15 AM »

I like this question...

Pz

damn..how old are you? 40?  :D

LOL

Nah mane not THAT old... 8)

~Loyalty Is Everything~

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »
U start getting to know one artist that is known over here and then u got look for more similar music and somewhere along the way u end up on dubcnn craving g funk beats  ???
LOL! ;D

Almost all albums released by labels now r released worldwide so we get the same shit that u get.

It all started 4 me wen the chronic came out, I picked it up listened 2 it, liked it n just found out more frm there. I mean i used 2 pick up Source mag every month. Now we get knowledge frm internet, TV, Radio, XXL, Vibe, Source etc. etc.
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 11:42:27 AM »
Damn, my first exposure to hip hop was Run DMC in '86, when kids in the playground were getting into it, and even then, I didn't get into it until later, and I've lived in Southern California my whole life. It trips me out that Europeans were exposed to hip hop even 20 years ago.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
Damn, my first exposure to hip hop was Run DMC in '86, when kids in the playground were getting into it, and even then, I didn't get into it until later, and I've lived in Southern California my whole life. It trips me out that Europeans were exposed to hip hop even 20 years ago.

I know right...This shit is crazy sittin here reading how hip hop was known in the UK! WAY back in the 80s and shit. That's pretty quick to catch on there when it was struggling to get catched on here!