Author Topic: World is coming to an end  (Read 326 times)

Trauma-san

Re: World is coming to an end
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 01:49:52 PM »
or so you'd think if youre an avid TOT poster. every time i come thru here you clowns are obsessing over petty hype issues and whining about constant doom and gloom. me thinks you fools are reflecting your own shitty timid personalities into so called "social issues".

Actually, the Myans invented this huge nearly perfect calendar system (It's more accurate than our current roman calendar system) and they claimed centuries ago that the world would end (or, be reborn,  something catastrophic) in 2012.  So, yeah, maybe the world IS coming to an end. 

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »
or so you'd think if youre an avid TOT poster. every time i come thru here you clowns are obsessing over petty hype issues and whining about constant doom and gloom. me thinks you fools are reflecting your own shitty timid personalities into so called "social issues".

Actually, the Myans invented this huge nearly perfect calendar system (It's more accurate than our current roman calendar system) and they claimed centuries ago that the world would end (or, be reborn,  something catastrophic) in 2012.  So, yeah, maybe the world IS coming to an end. 

the mayan calendar is cyclical, whenever the mayan calendar ends it will probably simply restart and not necessarily result in the end of the world.  thier other two calendars for agriculture (haab) and ceremony (tzolkin) are cyclical and simply restart.  there is no reason to think the third (historical/long count) would do anything other than restart.   
additionally there is some question as to what the actual date in the long count calendar is; since the mayans were gone (abandoned their cities at least).  the mechanism for determining the current date within the mayan long count calendar is under debate. thus, 12/12/2012 probably is not an accurate number at all.

also, it isn't even the entire long count that comes to an end, only the current katun.  the mayan long count calendar is only in the 12th baktun (of which there are 20) so it's 3154 years or so until the baktuns also come to an end.  again, in all liklihood in 3154 years when the baktuns actually do end they will simply turn over cyclically, and a new digit with a new name will appear; as this is simply the historical calendar.

bottom line, the mayan calendar doesn't actually end on december 12 2012 (a number so pseudo-symmetric it's suspicious); and this is a source of great disappointment for me.

i was at a museum in monterrey mexico earlier this week and was able to learn a couple things about the mayans and aztecs, plus some of the lesser known civilizations of mexico as well
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 04:42:39 PM »
I knew that, that's why I said "Or be reborn".   I don't honestly think anything will happen, I was just throwing out the typical mayan calander prophecy to fit the theme of the thread. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 04:46:01 PM »
Oh, and by the way, you're wrong about the Baktuns.  The Baktun, AND the Katun restart in 2012, that's the significance of the number. 

WestCoasta

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 05:35:28 PM »
I think some are pissed off or bitter about their "home" lives  :raisetheroof: :rock: :pimp: :sun: :firedevil:

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 07:54:09 PM »
Oh, and by the way, you're wrong about the Baktuns.  The Baktun, AND the Katun restart in 2012, that's the significance of the number. 

the baktuns will increment from 12 to 13.  the katun's will reset from 19 to 0.

http://www.btinternet.com/~gstray/today.htm

april 15, 2006  is "12 . 19 . 13 . 3 . 18" in the mayan calendar

the baktuns don't return to 0 for another three thousand years.  other than that we are on the same page.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 08:06:58 PM by nibs »
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »

Guess you never been to the MTV Think Board http://www.mtv.com/community/message_boards/adredirect.jhtml?bID=9