Author Topic: The hip-hop community will be the next segment of US soceity to embrace Islam  (Read 1720 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
On 2001, and since, Dre has made MOST his beats from live instruments, and he basically tells his artist what sound he wants, and from there he takes the "samples" from those intruments and makes them into a beat. He can also play drums, as his drum skillz, and DJ Yella's, are some of the best in the Hip-Hop world. Don't hate.

Whose drum skills are we comparing them to? I'm not saying Dre is talentless hack but you put him next to someone like Bonham and he'll look ridiculous on the drums.

All I remember about 2001 is the Next Episode. I got my copy early via pirating and I brought it to school. I played Next Episode first since I thought it would be the most like his old stuff. I played it for a friend in my grade 12 auto shop class and his jaw dropped, and he said "what the fuck". He goes into his bag and gets a CD. He was an amateur producer himself and he hung around with a lot of guys that made music. He put the CD in my player and said listen to this track. I hear a song with his buddies rapping on it and the beat from the intro to the main part was exactly the same and this was a track that was made a year before 2001 leaked. You could tell that the people playing the instruments were different and the sound was faded because it was from the original sample but it was the same note for note. My view on Dre and hip hop production changed after that. People I once held in such high regard as composers I saw in a different light. I've been looking for that friend of mine recently because I want to know what the original smaple was. I never did find out.

And Cop Killa; I agree with the Clash statement. I'm a big fan of the Clash.

I capped MOST because of that one example I knew you would use. Listen to the rest of that CD. Xplosive was sampled by Erika Badu within a year of release, and every other beat was original.

I was just talking about the idea of taking obscure song and having people think of it as original or done by the producer. Dre ius a producer and he is a great one. He just isn't a great composer. Even the stuff on 2001 that is original like Still Dre was done by the musicians. Storch wrote the piano for that right?

How did you know I'd use that example? Have I told my story before with out realizing it? I guess I tend to repeat myself.

telling artist how to do the music, and then put it all together, I think he writes some of that.

Some? Sure. All? No way. Most? I don't know.

his a hip hop producer. Your main beef with him is that. I am someone who listens to hip-hop and all music and takes it for what it is. I think Dre is a great producer, and he came up with most the sounds, and how he wanted them, yet you are someone who likes to credit the player for playing his guitar, so you credit Scott Storch over Dr. Dre, even if Dre came up with the melody.

Producers in general don't write melodies, in any music. What I querstion is whether Dre wrote themelodies or chjose the melodies that Storch or Elizondo came up with. I remember reading that both played a big role in composing tracks on 2001. Dre is a great producer. I just think he gets confused with a composer too often. I know for a fact that Dre did not write the Still DRE melody.

Suga Foot

On 2001, and since, Dre has made MOST his beats from live instruments, and he basically tells his artist what sound he wants, and from there he takes the "samples" from those intruments and makes them into a beat. He can also play drums, as his drum skillz, and DJ Yella's, are some of the best in the Hip-Hop world. Don't hate.

Whose drum skills are we comparing them to? I'm not saying Dre is talentless hack but you put him next to someone like Bonham and he'll look ridiculous on the drums.

All I remember about 2001 is the Next Episode. I got my copy early via pirating and I brought it to school. I played Next Episode first since I thought it would be the most like his old stuff. I played it for a friend in my grade 12 auto shop class and his jaw dropped, and he said "what the fuck". He goes into his bag and gets a CD. He was an amateur producer himself and he hung around with a lot of guys that made music. He put the CD in my player and said listen to this track. I hear a song with his buddies rapping on it and the beat from the intro to the main part was exactly the same and this was a track that was made a year before 2001 leaked. You could tell that the people playing the instruments were different and the sound was faded because it was from the original sample but it was the same note for note. My view on Dre and hip hop production changed after that. People I once held in such high regard as composers I saw in a different light. I've been looking for that friend of mine recently because I want to know what the original smaple was. I never did find out.

And Cop Killa; I agree with the Clash statement. I'm a big fan of the Clash.

I capped MOST because of that one example I knew you would use. Listen to the rest of that CD. Xplosive was sampled by Erika Badu within a year of release, and every other beat was original.

A LOT of beats on 2001 used music from other songs.  I can think of 7 just off the top of my head.

7 outta how many. name them

I think I misread your original post.  You are right, most (if not all?) the songs are replayed, but they aren't all original compositions.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
I don't understand, I doubt Dre WROTE anything, he doesn't know notes like that, I'm assuming. He could have done some digging and found the samples and had Elizondo or somebody re-play them, Dre has the last say which makes him the producer, the ear.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Don Seer

I don't understand, I doubt Dre WROTE anything, he doesn't know notes like that, I'm assuming. He could have done some digging and found the samples and had Elizondo or somebody re-play them, Dre has the last say which makes him the producer, the ear.

exactly...

although i have heard he'll say "playing something like this..." and hum a bit.. then the players ellaborate.. and he'll say yay or nay... plus he does still do the drum track..

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever

why did this conversation hone in on dre? 
in l.a.:
quik plays more instruments, utilizes a far more diverse array of instruments and sounds.  quik is more musical than dre.
big hutch on kokane's funk upon a rhyme album, battlecat's latest sound...all of these seem more creative than what dre has been doing as of late. 
on the west coast:
the bay area in general seems to have been far ahead of dre interms of the usage of live instruments, rick rock, bosko, sam bostic...just listen to an e-40 album, dre's tracks "aren't live like that"
across hip hop:
in terms of sampling, dre is very unoriginal and less creative in comparison to guys like mf doom or madlib.  there are completely different philosophies to what dre does with his.
you have groups like the roots, the roots are a band.   

if this is an argument about hip hop, why is it seemingly limited to dre?  dre does what he does, and alot of people think that what he does is hot; but it's not close to representative of hip-hop as a whole in terms of creativity.

"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam