Author Topic: G-TV is awesome!Check this review  (Read 173 times)

Crenshaw_blvd

G-TV is awesome!Check this review
« on: February 15, 2002, 06:04:16 AM »
Well Fortress struck lucky here! No matter if this turns out to be a classic, or a dud, this will sell by the truckload. Why? Well, by now everyone knows that Kurupt has turned his back on his DPG crew and returned to Death Row Records, and the welcoming wallet of Suge Knight. G-TV will fly off the shelves, as cats will grab it simply to try and see any cracks in the relationships between Kurupt, Daz, Snoop and the others are actually caught on film. On top of this, hardcore DPG fans will snap it up as this may be the last chance to see the Dogg Pound actually performing together.

Anyways... G-TV is similar in theme to the Alkaholiks DVD I reviewed earlier this year - it features exclusive background footage from the Puff Puff Pass tour, tourbus performances of familiar hits, and a chance to peep how Kurupt and his homies really act away from the glitz and glamour. All this of course amidst a backdrop of naked ladies, weed, booze and funk.

As mentioned earlier, a lot of heads will peep this to see if they can spot any souring in the relationship between Kurupt and the rest of the clan. Well... let me save you some trouble - there's very little to see if thats what you're buying this for. Throughout the flick, Kurupt, Daz, Snoop, Tray Dee, Tha Liks, Bad Azz, Xzibit and a host of other G-Funk names look like nothing but the tight ass crew we were always led to believe. It actually makes the whole film a little sad - sad to see how much fun Daz has with his main homie, how tight they are, and how unaware he (and the others are) of the storm on the horizon.

The only hint at all of any trouble below the surface, comes in a drunken freestyle that Kurupt performs with only the camera as the witness. During this short, and somewhat emotional, lyrical "performance", Kurupt stresses not to "stare at me like I'm strange", how "if you never understand this, you never ever did it", and how "most of these suckas act like they my boss too." Nothing more than a drunken rant, or a subtle tip-off towards the impending jump-ship move?

We also get to see the other side of Kurupt - the calmed down, everyday dude. He talks frankly about his feelings on the LA riots and how it felt to be in the middle of it. We also get to see him play the "daddy" role to his young daughter - a role he looks perfectly at ease with.

Elsewhere on the DVD you get a look at the crazy crowds that this tour pulled wherever it went. Its possible to see first hand the effect that funky music can have in getting a crowd hype, AND getting women out of their clothes! Marvel at the amount of naked flesh on display. Drool at the antics some of these women get up to. Feel nothing but utter embarrassment for the drunken frat boys caught playing to the camera in Missouri. Its all here...

Dropped throughout the film are live performances of hits from "The Streets Is A Mutha" and "Space Boogie". Classics like "We Can Freak It", "On On Site" and "Represent Dat GC" bump as the camera cuts between scenes of Kurupt and Daz performing, to souped-up cars, to more naked women in the crowd...

Highlights on the DVD are the scenes where Snoop, Daz, Kurupt and Roscoe (Kurupt's younger brother) commandeer a transport cart after a show and start furiously spinning circles around the carpark, trying to get some "three wheel motion." Needless to say Snoop almost succeeds in killing them all, as the buggy come closes to flipping right over. Also worth checking out is an absolutely blazing freestyle from Roscoe - he serves another cat's head to him backstage. Another scene that was pretty compelling viewing, was the portion where Kurupt is backstage with Run DMC and Jam Master Jay. As the Hollis veterans step onto the stage, Kurupt turns to the camera and explains how he feels that he and Daz are almost like the West Coast version of Run DMC. Unfortunately, we now know that the West's own "Run DMC" are no more.

Like I said at the beginning, this will sell no matter what. It'll be a pity though if the only reason for its sales is the pure "gossip" factor surrounding Kurupt at the minute. The only little flaw I found when comparing it to Tha Liks DVD is the subject of the whole flick - to me at least Kurupt was a much more difficult character to film - it was rare to see him loosen up and totally relax his guard. In contrast Tha Liks humour and "goofball-ness" shone through at all times, and made it a slightly more enjoyable film. However, judged on its own merits this DVD is definitely worth picking up - the music is hot, the behind the scenes footage is at times pure comedy, at times utterly compelling - but ultimately watchable throughout.

*** Oh yeah - you also get a bonus audio disc containing seven cuts, several of which are featured in the DVD. Another nice reason for picking it up! ***

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

BigAdrianoDogg

Re: G-TV is awesome!Check this review
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 07:43:18 AM »
Hey homie you like writing right ? hehehe

Probs to ya man

thanks alot for doin this work always

Crenshaw_blvd

Re: G-TV is awesome!Check this review
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 08:18:55 AM »
no no....i'm not he author.
i've just took the article from another site!