Author Topic: Arena unveils US World Cup squad  (Read 89 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Arena unveils US World Cup squad
« on: May 02, 2006, 06:21:01 PM »

Arena unveils US World Cup squad

Manager Bruce Arena has named the USA's 23-man squad for the World Cup.

Arena, the longest-serving manager of any in this summer's tournament in Germany, has picked a blend of domestic and European-based players.

Fulham's Brian McBride will compete with US-based players Josh Wolf, Eddie Johnson and Brian Ching for the striking berths.

Premiership new boys Reading provide keeper Marcus Hahnemann and winger Bobby Convey to the squad.

Goalkeepers: Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Tim Howard (Manchester United), Marcus Hahnemann (Reading).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Cory Gibbs (ADO Den Haag), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Eddie Lewis (Leeds Utd), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege), Eddie Pope (Real Salt Lake).

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven), Bobby Convey (Reading), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), John O'Brien (Chivas USA), Bebn Olsen (DC United), Claudio Reyna (Manchester City).

Forwards: Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Brian McBride (Fulham), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards)

Arena has guided the USA - who are playing in their fifth successive World Cup finals - into fourth place in Fifa's world rankings.

USA FRIENDLIES
23 May: v Morocco
26 May: v Venezuela
26 May: v Latvia

The squad will have a two-week training camp followed by three friendlies on home soil before heading to Germany on 1 June.

The camp will allow players from European clubs, who have just finished a full season, to blend with US-based colleagues from Major League Soccer, who began their season only a month ago.
NO MORE WAR

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Arena unveils US World Cup squad
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:11:50 PM »
Weak, I wanted Albright on the team too.  I like this team though.  In my opinion, they are in the 2nd toughest group.  For the U.S to have a chance at making the Quarters they need to avoid Brazil, so they need to get first in the group. 

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »
what the fuck happened to Freddy Adu. i remember watching this kid a few yrs ago and he was spose to be the next big thing. i think he plays for DC United but i thought he would be going to the WOrld CUp.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »
what the fuck happened to Freddy Adu. i remember watching this kid a few yrs ago and he was spose to be the next big thing. i think he plays for DC United but i thought he would be going to the WOrld CUp.

He's still only 17 years old.  For sure he will be there in 2010, it's just that right now there are more skilled players than him.  He doesn't even start sometimes in the MLS, he should just be playing somewhere on a consistent basis though, it doesn't matter where. 

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
The Midfield is pretty strong