Author Topic: It's official now...Steve Nash is the NBA's 2006 MVP  (Read 2251 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: It's official now...Steve Nash is the NBA's 2006 MVP
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 01:21:53 PM »
I also believe college bball is much more fun to watch.  No they are not as talented, but in general is much more team oriented.  Plus, overall effort is more consistent.  These guys are busting their ass to try to get to the next level.  They all have something to prove.  

There are a handfull of NBA teams that personify those traits, but nowadays the NBA seems to really promote individuals rather than teams.  Look at the Pistons - the best team over the last two years, and their first round games are subjected to NBA TV.  Bron Bron is featured in Prime Time on the major networks in the first round.  

Because of this, the overall quality of the NBA has suffered.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 01:27:13 PM »
I also believe college bball is much more fun to watch.  No they are not as talented, but in general is much more team oriented.  Plus, overall effort is more consistent.  These guys are busting their ass to try to get to the next level.  They all have something to prove. 

There are a handfull of NBA teams that personify those traits, but nowadays the NBA seems to really promote individuals rather than teams.  Look at the Pistons - the best team over the last two years, and their first round games are subjected to NBA TV.  Bron Bron is featured in Prime Time on the major networks in the first round. 

Yes, but NBA action surpasses College action, regardless. A 7 game series has a lot more to it than just 1 game eliminations. There's strategy involved, adjustments, etc. And as I've stated in the past, college players are playing to make it into the NBA, which is the ultimate level, which is also why it is pretty ridiculous to say NCAA is better than NBA...PeACe

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 01:34:04 PM »
how the fuck is it fun to watch Duke,UCONN,NC beat a team by 20pts every week.How is NCAA better then NBA when the same schools get the MCdonalds all americans over and over  and they leave after 1 year?

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »
how the fuck is it fun to watch Duke,UCONN,NC beat a team by 20pts every week.How is NCAA better then NBA when the same schools get the MCdonalds all americans over and over and they leave after 1 year?

If you attended one of these colleges, you would understand the pride involved in watching your alma mater be successful.  Most people that graduated from a prominent college that fielded competitive teams will tell you the same thing.  It's a more personal connection.  I was born and raised in Cincinnati and all the way up until I went to college I was a rabid fan of the Reds and Bengals.  I'm still a big fan of both but have nowhere near the pride when they are successful compared to when my alma mater is successful. 

herpes

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 02:13:21 PM »
He's a great player, and maybe he deserved the two MVP's, but being white definitely helped his cause.  Old-school white fans are desperate for something to cheer about in the NBA, most of them have retreated to watching college basketball cause they say it's a "team game".
Steven A Smith voted for Nash.  And I know black people that rather watch college b-ball b/c its more of team game then the pro's.  Your argument is shot to hell Brian.

herpes

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »
how the fuck is it fun to watch Duke,UCONN,NC beat a team by 20pts every week.How is NCAA better then NBA when the same schools get the MCdonalds all americans over and over  and they leave after 1 year?
there is a lot more to college bball then just duke, uconn, and unc.

PLANT

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »
Charles Barkley also voted for Steve Nash

WeSTSidE_Don

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 03:20:40 PM »
i feel nash did deserve the MVP. First a MVP player not only plays amazing on the court but makes the players around him better. Proof that Nash does this is Diaw...i mean Diaw's game is on a whole new level ever since he joined the Suns. Second, after Stuadmier got injured people wrote off the suns thinking they lost one of their key players and would no longer make the playoffs but they won their division and came third in the west. Kobe's an AMAZING player dont get me wrong (although his ego ruins him) but all he really did was take 40 shots a game and put up 50 points a night..thats good and all but no players really improved drasticly like a Diaw. People want kobe to be MVP because no one can stop him but basketball is a TEAM game and Kobe is not a TEAM player. That being said...i cannot wait for my Karma to go down ;D

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 04:03:30 PM »
I also believe college bball is much more fun to watch.  No they are not as talented, but in general is much more team oriented.  Plus, overall effort is more consistent.  These guys are busting their ass to try to get to the next level.  They all have something to prove. 

There are a handfull of NBA teams that personify those traits, but nowadays the NBA seems to really promote individuals rather than teams.  Look at the Pistons - the best team over the last two years, and their first round games are subjected to NBA TV.  Bron Bron is featured in Prime Time on the major networks in the first round. 

Yes, but NBA action surpasses College action, regardless. A 7 game series has a lot more to it than just 1 game eliminations. There's strategy involved, adjustments, etc. And as I've stated in the past, college players are playing to make it into the NBA, which is the ultimate level, which is also why it is pretty ridiculous to say NCAA is better than NBA...PeACe

the players arent "better", but it is more exciting to watch. i can watch SOME playoff games every now and then but i can always watch college games. and it must be a pretty rediculous statement to you but pretty much all of my friends prefer to watch college ball over NBA anyday.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »
i feel nash did deserve the MVP. First a MVP player not only plays amazing on the court but makes the players around him better. Proof that Nash does this is Diaw...i mean Diaw's game is on a whole new level ever since he joined the Suns. Second, after Stuadmier got injured people wrote off the suns thinking they lost one of their key players and would no longer make the playoffs but they won their division and came third in the west. Kobe's an AMAZING player dont get me wrong (although his ego ruins him) but all he really did was take 40 shots a game and put up 50 points a night..thats good and all but no players really improved drasticly like a Diaw. People want kobe to be MVP because no one can stop him but basketball is a TEAM game and Kobe is not a TEAM player. That being said...i cannot wait for my Karma to go down ;D

Ridiculous. You don't even deserve a response, but for the record, Kobe didn't "really just put up 40 shots and score 50 points a night", he took a team that consists on NBDL players to the playoffs and even brought them to elite status at a point. Diaw would've improved in the Suns system with or without Nash...Nash is an excellent player, don't get me wrong, but he's no 2 time MVP, and we were 1 rebound away from exposing it to the world...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »

the players arent "better", but it is more exciting to watch. i can watch SOME playoff games every now and then but i can always watch college games. and it must be a pretty rediculous statement to you but pretty much all of my friends prefer to watch college ball over NBA anyday.

How can it be more exciting to watch unless you have a stronger connection with one of the teams? That's the same as saying Honda's are more exciting to watch race than Ferarri's...I mean, which you prefer is a matter of opinion, but you can't claim college ball is "better", cuz that's just ridiculous...PeACe

eNgIeS

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 12:27:56 AM »

Ridiculous. You don't even deserve a response, but for the record, Kobe didn't "really just put up 40 shots and score 50 points a night", he took a team that consists on NBDL players to the playoffs and even brought them to elite status at a point. Diaw would've improved in the Suns system with or without Nash...Nash is an excellent player, don't get me wrong, but he's no 2 time MVP, and we were 1 rebound away from exposing it to the world...PeACe

As Scott Skiles once said "Basketball is like Church, many attend, few understand"

I like the way Kobe played during the latter parts of the season & the playoffs (well except i guess the last game of the series). He was sharing the ball, he was like MJ i thought wow Hell has frozen over Phil Jackson has FINALLLY persuaded him

Lakers are better this year not coz of Kobe, part of it can be credited to him, part of it can be creditted to the coaching Pippen & Abdul Jabber did with KObe & Lamar in training camp that made him the all arounder to compliment Kobes scoring as well as getting Kwame Brown & Smush Parker which is a credit to the staff.

But main part is Phil Jackson, after this season no one can deny he is a great coach. Its his teachings & philosophy & PATIENCE that alllowed Kobe to wake up like MJ had to once & see "we arent winning as much when i be selfish, but when i share the ball & get everyone involved like MJ, we win". He also probably kept the other teammates in it coz i bet they lost confidence with Kobe just hoosting up impossible shots when teammates are open for shots.

Basketball is a team sport, & Nash had a new team bar Marion & Barbosa, & he made all of them fit in & work & they had a great record without Amare. The race was close but Nash deserved the MVP a true leader he did career bests in many catergories.

I do think Jason Kidd probably deserved an MVP in 2002 or 2003 as well but he didnt get it.

Just coz Duncan or Nash or whatever isnt as exciting or score as much as Lebron & Kobe & Wade doesnt make them less valueble. People can hate all they want, but they're on winning teams & they get not only themselves but also there teammates in on it. Lebron does too, i hope KObe does continue sharing the balll.....if he can do that & lead the lakers (theyw ill have a better record probably Kwame & Odom should be better, along with Smush Parker) to more wins then he can win it.

DUB CC

• 'G'
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2006, 01:57:34 AM »
Congrats to Steve Nash

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006, 07:22:32 AM »

How can it be more exciting to watch unless you have a stronger connection with one of the teams? That's the same as saying Honda's are more exciting to watch race than Ferarri's...I mean, which you prefer is a matter of opinion, but you can't claim college ball is "better", cuz that's just ridiculous...PeACe

How about Nascar vs the elite cars? The masses now prefer stock cars all built somewhat the same as opposed to the super cars built by McLaren and Ferrari, even though the stock cars aren't as fast or as good. Some people just like it simple. In fact if you look at the TV ratings for the Final Four the ratings are usually just as high and actually a bit higher in recent years than the NBA Finals.