Author Topic: 1 in 136 U.S. residents behind bars  (Read 320 times)

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
1 in 136 U.S. residents behind bars
« on: May 21, 2006, 03:11:53 PM »
WASHINGTON - Prisons and jails added more than 1,000 inmates each week for a year, putting almost 2.2 million people, or one in every 136 U.S. residents, behind bars by last summer.

The total on June 30, 2005, was 56,428 more than at the same time in 2004, the government reported Sunday. That 2.6 percent increase from mid-2004 to mid-2005 translates into a weekly rise of 1,085 inmates.

Of particular note was the gain of 33,539 inmates in jails, the largest increase since 1997, researcher Allen J. Beck said. That was a 4.7 percent growth rate, compared with a 1.6 percent increase in people held in state and federal prisons.

Prisons accounted for about two-thirds of all inmates, or 1.4 million, while the other third, nearly 750,000, were in local jails, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Beck, the bureau's chief of corrections statistics, said the increase in the number of people in the 3,365 local jails is due partly to their changing role. Jails often hold inmates for state or federal systems, as well as people who have yet to begin serving a sentence.

"The jail population is increasingly unconvicted," Beck said. "Judges are perhaps more reluctant to release people pretrial."

The report by the Justice Department agency found that 62 percent of people in jails have not been convicted, meaning many of them are awaiting trial.

Overall, 738 people were locked up for every 100,000 residents, compared with a rate of 725 at mid-2004. The states with the highest rates were Louisiana and Georgia, with more than 1 percent of their populations in prison or jail. Rounding out the top five were Texas, Mississippi and Oklahoma.

The states with the lowest rates were Maine, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire.

Men were 10 times to 11 times more likely than women to be in prison or jail, but the number of women behind bars was growing at a faster rate, said Paige M. Harrison, the report's other author.

The racial makeup of inmates changed little in recent years, Beck said. In the 25-29 age group, an estimated [size=16t]11.9 percent of black men were in prison or jails[/size] ( :o DAMN THAT'S CRAZY) compared with 3.9 percent of Hispanic males and 1.7 percent of white males.

Marc Mauer, executive director of The Sentencing Project, which supports alternatives to prison, said the incarceration rates for blacks were troubling.

"It's not a sign of a healthy community when we've come to use incarceration at such rates," he said.

Mauer also criticized sentencing guidelines, which he said remove judges' discretion, and said arrests for drug and parole violations swell prisons.

"If we want to see the prison population reduced, we need a much more comprehensive approach to sentencing and drug policy," he said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW FUCKED UP OUR SOCIETY IS... IN OUR "CIVILIZED" WORLD... PUTTING 12% OF BLACK MEN WITHIN AN AGE GROUP OF A 4 YEAR RANGE IN PRISONS... DISGUSTING
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: 1 in 136 U.S. residents behind bars
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:15:52 PM »

JML according to the states own figures that number is going to treble in a decade. I am going to ask this because i dont want to comment on something i know nothing about but dont all prisoners do some kind of work? i.e. contribute to the economy?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »
I wish our prisoners did some kind of work, its like their are in a hotel and the tax man picks up a 5 star tab at 2k per week per prisioner.

bring back the chain gangs

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 07:42:08 PM »

JML according to the states own figures that number is going to treble in a decade. I am going to ask this because i dont want to comment on something i know nothing about but dont all prisoners do some kind of work? i.e. contribute to the economy?

Yeah, so did slaves... which is what I was gonna get at... that may explain the disproportionate number of blacks in there...

12% of black males between 25-29 are "contributing to the economy"... if that's what you wanna call it...
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:50:18 AM »

No I hear what your saying, i only phrased it like that because I wanted to make sure I was right when i basically said they are working for business. It is the new slave economy, bearing in mind what i refered to from the state department was their own estimates so in actual fact the figures could be much higher.

coola

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 02:55:28 AM »
slave economy... lol

so these innocent men are being forced to work  ::) better have the criminals do something rather than rot in cells.