Author Topic: Do you think most rappers really believe they are gonna sell a ton of records?  (Read 125 times)

acgrundy

WorldWideConnected.com: Ok. So have you been recording all this time? I mean is there a reason for you coming back, not necessarily calling it a comeback, right now?

Like you say I don’t really wanna call it a comeback because I ain’t never came out. I just had singles. When I drop this first album it’s gonna be like history though, because I plan on selling a lot of records. I’m in it to sell records. The world’s ready and I’m gonna sock it to em, dawg.

This is YGD Topp Dogg talking

Pretty much every single rapper says this.  I know you gotta have faith and belief in yourself, but do you think most rappers really believe they are gonna hit platinum, or do you think most just say that to pump up the album?

Crooked I talks alot about how he really really plans on selling a lot of records.  He's been in the game for quite awhile now, and he has seen a lot of the business.  Going platinum is not a very easy thing to do, and its very rare.  With him being independent, and just seeing so much of the rap game for the past 10 years nearly, how can he really think that he could sell a million records?  I mean selling a million records with the backing of someone like Interscope or Def Jam or some other powerhouse label is nearly impossible I would think.

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
everyone hopes for the best and their egos are too big to admit that they wont push major units. but inside, dudes know if they put out a good and/or mainstream single and a good and/or mainstream record, and thats what reflects how much they sell. so in all, i think a lot of dudes realize theyre not pushin major shit, especially if they dont have big buzz/publicity

Matty

at the end of the day its possible but you have to have a stupidly hot single w/ atleast some form of promotion to usually have a chance of selling big.

Lo Flya

• 'G'
To sell a million records, you generally need to appeal to the mainstream / commercial audience. When a rapper does this he gets called a sell-out.