Author Topic: 'Its got no Wes Coast sound on da album' - DJ Quik  (Read 419 times)

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
'Its got no Wes Coast sound on da album' - DJ Quik
« on: January 28, 2002, 05:40:16 AM »
Saying DJ Quik is excited about his latest studio creations is as big of an understatement as simply referring to a Mike Tyson press conference as "eventful."

"It's like being in a delivery room without all the blood and guts and stuff," Quik said about working with Sugar Ray on a song that may or may not be released. "It's like watching a baby being born.

"It's a real hot record, but it's a little different for them," continued the West coast rapper/producer, who said he'd also be going into the studio with Korn soon. "So we're going to see what they're going to do."

Quik, who was dropped from his last label, Arista, plans to put out his next LP, Under the Influence, on April 2 on his own independent label, Eutonic.

"I been doing collaborations with some really heavy artists," he said. "Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch, Shyheim, Dr. Dre, Sugar Free. The first single is called 'Trouble' and features AMG on the second verse. I'm venting everything that's happened to me the last couple of years — the thing with Arista, run-ins with the police. It's a new energy going on with me. I put together a record that will stand the test of critics wavering and short attention spans."

Helping to keep everyone focused is Quik's reworking of musical backdrops. "It's a classic record with all type of influences," he said. "It's [got] no West Coast sounds on it. [Using] the whole Roger Troutman, Zapp [sound], that bullsh-- is for the birds.

"I'm switching back from that watered-down, corny sh-- I did with Arista. It wasn't just the whole Roger Troutman thing. Everyone thinks that's what it's about now — you gotta be real clean and linear. [My new album is] recorded in the fashion we used to do. The analog stuff, the old preamps, big microphones. It's a big sound. We're turning big knobs in the studio."

Quik said Dr. Dre, who raps on and produced "Put It on Me," helped him fine-tune some of the tracks.

"Dude is like a super genius," he marveled. "His name couldn't be more perfect: the doctor. He gives you prescriptions on how to make your music better. You take it in and play for him, he gives you his opinions, and you implement his ideas. Before you know it, your record is beautiful."

The guys in Sugar Ray are equally impressive, Quik said. "Them dudes is tight. It's cool being in the studio with people like that because the creative energy in the studio is to die for. ... It's funny to watch people discover things. It's like watching a baby being born when somebody gets a fly guitar riff and they practice it.

"[The song we did is] called 'Close to You.' Almost like when I worked with Tony Toni Toné. It's real warm, kind of organic sounding. A hip-hop bottom with a pop top end."

mtv.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Swookillah

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1 Final!
Re: 'Its got no Wes Coast sound on da album' - DJ
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2002, 05:45:29 AM »
cant wait to hear that korn song!

Murrow

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2002, 07:43:31 AM »
Phat, looks like the Dre collabo will be "Put It On Me" from "Training Day."  I thought we'd get a new song from the two though.

CWalker187

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2002, 10:16:13 AM »
I dont understand what you guys think is so great about this article. Frankly, reading this pissed me off! What in the hell is DJ Quik thinking? No west coast beats? Dissing Roger Troutman and his sound after doing a tribute to him on his last album? Calling his past albums corny?
I hate to say it, but I think DJ Quik is selling out like Dr. Dre, and is going to try and make east coast sounding beats and work with east coast artists. So much for being the west coasts top producer, DJ Quik is now a bitch. First Kurupt, now this. WTF??????????

Murrow

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2002, 10:21:23 AM »
I think DJ Quik is selling out like Dr. Dre, and is going to try and make east coast sounding beats

Since when does Dre make, "East coast sounding beats?"  The shit he came with on "2001" was something totally new, and I heard no East coast flavor up in those tracks.  Also, Dre updated his West coast G-Funk sound with "2001."  He has been doing G-Funk since '88, it's just that he edited the sound over time to make it hit harder.  Peace.

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2002, 01:44:15 PM »
I dont understand what you guys think is so great about this article. Frankly, reading this pissed me off! What in the hell is DJ Quik thinking? No west coast beats? Dissing Roger Troutman and his sound after doing a tribute to him on his last album? Calling his past albums corny?
I hate to say it, but I think DJ Quik is selling out like Dr. Dre, and is going to try and make east coast sounding beats and work with east coast artists. So much for being the west coasts top producer, DJ Quik is now a bitch. First Kurupt, now this. WTF??????????

Way out of bounds homie.  Have you heard his new singles?

http://forum.igangsta.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1012074652

Click here, download and listen for youself.  Quik is and always will be WESTCOAST.  Cant blame him for elevating his music and style.  Pz.

Ax
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

DrewDogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Veni Vidi Vici / v3 /
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2002, 02:53:33 PM »
I didn't like that reference to Troutman either. For the birds? come on! He could have said he is going to try for a new or different sound then Roger Troutman.

Murrow

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2002, 07:34:28 AM »
Quik is simply sayin that most of these niggaz in tha industry r usin Roger's old style like Battlecat, Dre & all tha rest of them bitin tricks for their own personal use to sell records.

Hold up, Quik is the one who still uses that style, Dre ditched that formula in '96.  It isn't until now that Quik is changing from his Roger Troutman influenced tracks.

Dogg_Pound_Gangsta

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2002, 11:57:44 AM »
shit cant wait to hear that dre quik song.  put it on me is a dope song.

Jome

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2002, 12:00:20 PM »
Anybody know what the Dre/Quik-track gonna be named? Hope they'll find sumthin new instead of "Put it on me". Not that it aint good, but I want New shit.

Murrow

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2002, 12:52:57 PM »
Anybody know what the Dre/Quik-track gonna be named? Hope they'll find sumthin new instead of "Put it on me". Not that it aint good, but I want New shit.

I think that may be the only one, but a while ago Quik said Dre was gonna executive produce his album.   :-/

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2002, 12:58:06 PM »
Hold up now, don't get it twisted Quik aint sellin out. It's like this homie, Quik is simply sayin that most of these niggaz in tha industry r usin Roger's old style like Battlecat, Dre & all tha rest of them bitin tricks for their own personal use to sell records.

LMAO

dre stopped using that style WAAAAAAAAAAAY before quik, lol whatever quik is a dope producer , hell probably the seond best in the rap game, but dr.dre will always be 10 times the producer/innovator quik will be

oh yeah dre's style has been more quincy jones/george clinton/issac hayes  influenced than roger

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

BL7

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2002, 01:03:09 PM »
Quik, don't fuck up. ::) Hopefully Dre will only produce one song, 'cuz to me Quik's style is much better than his. If his album'll be anything like ''Safe & Sound'' like he said, than it should be good, so I'm not gonna worry myself over this.