Author Topic: Would You Pay 135 for this?  (Read 197 times)

BigBDrugStores

Would You Pay 135 for this?
« on: June 14, 2006, 05:54:15 PM »
The $100 Laptop

by Cameron Lawrence

June 13, 2006 | Post Archive
The rise and fall of prices is inevitable as emerging technology arrives and older technology becomes obsolete. Since the first incarnation of personal computers, owning one is significantly less expensive than ever before. But did anyone expect a $100 laptop? I didn’t.

The $100 laptop, or more appropriately, the $135 laptop, isn’t for the average American consumer, though there’s no doubt certain domestic communities could benefit from such a bargain. The mission of the initiative, aptly named “One Laptop per Child,” is to place a laptop computer in the hands of kids around the world. But why a laptop?

The non-profit association’s Web site describes its rationale: “Laptops are both a window and a tool: a window into the world and a tool with which to think. They are a wonderful way for all children to learn learning through independent interaction and exploration,” said Nicholas Negroponte, co-founder of the MIT Media Lab. The laptops will be purchased by governments around the world and distributed by their ministries of education. The immediate mission is to reach the children of developing and undeveloped nations, though a commercial equivalent to the inexpensive machine could be on the horizon.

fuse project
A protype of the $100 laptop.

Negroponte and associates hope that the cost will gradually reduce over time, ending up somewhere around $50 by 2010. The laptop has ample processing power and features given the scope of its purpose. The Linux-based machines will come with a dual-mode display monitor and both a full-color transmissive DVD display and a reflective black and white display readable in sunlight. It will be powered by a 500MHz AMD processor, 128 MB of DRAM and boasts 500MB of flash storage — not a lot, but certainly enough for saving simple files.  

Despite its noble intent, the initiative has drawn criticism from computing giants like Microsoft and Intel, who say the laptops are impractical. And while Negroponte dismisses the criticism, insinuating that their efforts step on the corporations’ toes, they could have a point. The laptop’s power supply is crank-operated, which requires users to turn the crank for six minutes for 1 hour of work time. Issues of connectivity to the Internet are also drawing skepticism. Negroponte and associates have plans to distribute inexpensive satellite dishes and servers to bring the Web into homes around the world. But if the computer has to be cranked, wouldn’t the satellite dish? And what about the server?

Many questions remain unanswered, including those of the World Bank who asked the initiative’s leaders if they’ve run tests. Their answer? There wasn’t any time for testing. The project may seem like a no-brainer on paper, but introducing new elements into other cultures is a complex, and sometimes delicate issue.

The initiative may be able to put a computer in the hands of 100 million children, but whether the project will prove to be sustainable still remains to be seen—especially in regions where many families cannot afford to send their children to school. Are the ministries of education equipped to provide tech support, and what happens if a computer is lost, stolen or broken?

Well, at least with four USB ports the kids will have somewhere to charge their iPods.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/hundred-dollar-laptop-news.htm

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125961,00.asp
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:58:26 PM by BigBDrugStores »

Sikotic™

Re: Would You Pay 135 for this?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »
That is the ugliest fuckin thing I've ever seen. If one of my homies saw that on my desk, they would start looking for a man dressed in ass-less chaps in my closet.

However, it would be good for school and educational use.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J Bananas

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 09:05:19 PM »
it has some use, how you guys think all the muslim TOT posters found their way to dubcc? government aid!!!

Jome

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:19:30 PM »
That is the ugliest fuckin thing I've ever seen. If one of my homies saw that on my desk, they would start looking for a man dressed in ass-less chaps in my closet.

Lmao. Oklin... ?  :sshh:

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:49:54 PM »
If one of my homies saw that on my desk, they would start looking for a man dressed in ass-less chaps in my closet.
ah man that had me laughin

SCRIP1ONER

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 07:10:38 PM »

However, it would be good for school and educational use.

rofl