Author Topic: Oscar De La Hoya not to fight in 2006 (no mayweather vs. de la hoya)  (Read 865 times)

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
oscar has decided not to fight this yr meaning there wont be that coveted mega fight between Mayweather and De la hoya we've all wanted. might still fight again though which is good news to cap off his career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2494608

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Oscar De La Hoya not to fight in 2006 (no mayweather vs. de la hoya)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:26:57 PM »
De La Hoya fell off...

DAYUM

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:38:07 PM »
mayweather would wreck him

Big BpG

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:39:56 PM »
I've been a hoya fan 4ever. He obviously found a new passion in promoting. I would love to see him come back for one more mega fight. A mayweather hoya fight would be a great fight and story for both fighters.

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

Native_Joe99

• Muthafuckin' Don!

GangstaBoogy

"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

SGV

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 11:16:24 PM »
Fell off or not, he still worked Mayorga. Fuckin' bastard Mayorga!! Talkin' all that shit for nothing.

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 12:03:41 AM »
How did he fall off? He beat Mayorga's ass. He should of announced his retirement that night and went out clean like Hopkins did.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 12:06:10 AM »
I'm Glad Oscar won't give Mayweather's scary ass a payday...lol
maybe Pretty boy will fight Margarito.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 09:38:42 AM »
How did he fall off? He beat Mayorga's ass. He should of announced his retirement that night and went out clean like Hopkins did.

De La Hoya's record in 1999 was 31-0...Since then, he's 7-4. Do the math, he fell off...PeACe

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »

De La Hoya's record in 1999 was 31-0...Since then, he's 7-4. Do the math, he fell off...PeACe

Look at his caliber of fighters and changes in weight class. Unlike most fighters today, he fought the best in the world, some even bigger and stronger than himself. He still held his own with them all. You can't find any boxers today that will actually challenge themselves. That's what makes Oscar great and a fan favorite.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »

Look at his caliber of fighters and changes in weight class. Unlike most fighters today, he fought the best in the world, some even bigger and stronger than himself. He still held his own with them all. You can't find any boxers today that will actually challenge themselves. That's what makes Oscar great and a fan favorite.

He still fell off...Either way you look at it, going 7-4 after being 31-0 is not too good.

Sikotic™

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 02:38:19 PM »
Hey, I guess we gotta agree to disagree......but you're still wrong lol

THA SAUCE HOUSE

SGV

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 02:55:11 PM »
De La Hoya always has people against him. He's possibly the most hated Boxer with talent (Hamed, Mayorga, Vargas, etc. I'm NOT looking at you) in the world of Boxing. No matter what he did, people always found some fault in him. Dude beat everyone there was to beat and kept trying new fighters. He could've been like Roy Jones and stayed fighting Medicore dudes.

CMon, he lost to some real good boxers. Hopkins, Mosely (twice) and Trinidad (which was a toss up!). At the same talking, he beat Chavez twice. He beat Camacho, Whitaker, Gatti, etc.

Most fighters start to take fights with less risk factors towards the end of their careers, but not Oscar. He may have lost, but at least it was to respectable fighters. It's not like he busted a Tyson and lost to everyone possible.

He's got more fight in him. He's not done yet.

Big BpG

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »
7-4 if you count the Tito fight. I thought Hoya dominated Tito. He was fighting smart and lost. I don't understand how he fell off. He won a lot of big fights and continued to go after the big fight. Hoya fought in era where there was great talent everywhere and he stood amongst them all. When they said he fell off, he beat the crap out of Fernando Vargas. He went out to prove he could be hopkins, lost. Took a long break and decided to come back against Mayorga. They said he wouldn't be the same, he was washed up, his skills had diminished.... well... if you saw that Mayorga fight, De La Hoya was toying with Mayorga.

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05