Author Topic: Chuck checks the Rasho trade and more....  (Read 147 times)

PLANT

Chuck checks the Rasho trade and more....
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:38:30 PM »
by Chuck Swirsky
--raptors.com
June 22, 2006

(TORONTO) -- In a period of two weeks the Raptors have upgraded their roster with the addition of Rasho Nesterovic and Kris Humphries.

The arrival of Nesterovic means Chris Bosh will slide over to the power forward position. Humphries will be a rotation player off the bench. Head coach Sam Mitchell played with Nesterovic in Minnesota and is familiar with Humphries as well so this should be a seamless transition for the two newcomers.

Showing absolutely no disrespect to Eric Williams and Matt Bonner who will fit in nicely with the Spurs, the Raptors are a better team today than they were 24 hours ago.

Chuck loves the addition of Rasho Nesterovic. (NBAE/Getty Images) 
They needed a big man to take some pressure off CB4.

The Raptors acquire a player in Nesterovic who can rebound, defend and block shots although don't tell that to Stephen A. Smith who ripped Nesterovic in an interview on The Score Television Network several months ago. Nesterovic doesn't have an ego, he won't complain if he doesn't get a ton of touches.

The good news is that he's locked in for three more years so it's a win-win situation for the player and the team.

The free-agent market for big men is thin to begin with and undoubtedly those eligible players will want five-year deals. Unless a player is a legitimate, proven, day-in-day-out player there is no way I give a player a five-year contract.

This is a contract (Nesterovic) the Raptors can live with. The Raptors still have the ability to go out and help themselves in the market because they're $10-12 million under the cap. Thank you, Knicks!

How does this affect the upcoming draft?

The guessing game is still running strong. Will the Raptors draft Andrea Bargnani, Adam Morrison, LaMarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy?

I'll tell you what. If you have a scoop, you let me know. I have no idea. It could come down to an 11th hour decision on the part of the Raptors and another club to consummate a deal.
It would not surprise me if the Raptors kept the pick. Bargnani's coach Dave Blatt was on my Fan 590 radio show on Wednesday and said Bargnani is NBA ready and can compete with any of the American players in the draft.

Blatt said Bargnani needs to improve on defence (what rookie doesn't?) and strength. His passing skills and outside shooting are outstanding. The Raptors have seen Bargnani several times so they've done their homework on this young man.

Morrison is a ready-made-player. His competitive fire cannot be questioned. He plays with heart, passion and a swagger that comes with confidence and success. Whoever drafts Morrison will know exactly what they're getting.

If he can control his diabetes and all indications are that he had that under control at Gonzaga, things should be fine. Morrison needs to make sure to eat the right foods, get enough rest and stay on top of his daily medical requirements.

With Mike James entering the free-agent market the Raptors will explore all options. Acquiring through trade a solid starting point guard is difficult to do, but with Colangelo's creativity and cap flexibility the Raptors will definitely be in the market for a solid veteran.

The bottom line is Colangelo is putting his stamp on this roster. Expect more activity in what could become the busiest offseason in Raptors' history.

I want to thank Williams and Bonner for their personal and professional courtesy the past two years. Eric will benefit from a change of scenery and Bonner will continue to pour in three balls. Both guys are class acts. The "Red Rocket" may have a new destination but he'll always have a place in the hearts of diehard Raptors fans. Welcome to pro sports.

I can't begin to tell you how fired up I am. I wish the season started tomorrow!

Chuck thinks Mark Cuban should tone it down a bit. (NBAE/Getty Images) 
News and notes from the Swirsk:
Dallas has only themselves to blame for not winning the Finals. They had Game 3 in their back pocket and couldn't close the deal. They became too emotional and it affected their play on the court. Dwyane Wade was incredible. Simply incredible. But some of those calls against the Mavs were very questionable.
Speaking of Wade, his legacy is just beginning. If he stays healthy he will be on his way to the Hall of Fame. Book it. He just completed his third year and I'm already hearing scouts say they are looking for a "Dwyane Wade" type player.
Mark Cuban has been fined over $1.6 million during his run as owner of the Mavs.
Memo to David Stern: Please do something about PA announcers. I hit the mute button during pre-game ceremonies.
The thought of seeing Alonzo Mourning receiving an NBA title ring irritates me.
Who says being at the right place at the right time doesn't pay off. Michael Doleac, Derek Anderson, Dorell Wright, Jason Kapono and Wayne Simien get a big rock on their finger.
Shaq was extremely complimentary to coaches such as Pat Riley, Dale Brown (LSU) and even his high school coach. What about the love for Phil Jackson? How quickly they forget!
Mark Cuban needs to do a better job controlling his temper but I still like the guy.
If Wade and Cleveland's LeBron James stay in the Eastern Conference expect one of the fiercest rivalries in pro sports.
Make no mistake about it. Michael Jordan is running the show in Charlotte. He will make the call on the Bobcats draft pick. My gut tells me it's Brandon Roy.
Can you honestly predict who will go 1-5 in the draft?
If Seattle trades Ray Allen and Luke Ridnour I will eat this column. I can see one going but not both.
It's too quiet in Chicago. Something is going on.
The loss of Rashard McCants is a major loss for Minnesota. Big.
If the Lakers want a lottery pick they better be prepared to offer up Lamar Odom.
Reading what's been coming out of Memphis it sure looks like they have a "For Sale" sign planted on their frontyard. You're telling me the NBA is better off with the team in Memphis than Vancouver?
Jason Terry should stay in Dallas. It's a good fit for both parties.
The fans in Salt Lake City are getting restless. It didn't take long for the impatience to arrive after they were spoiled with the likes of Stockton and Malone.
The news that LeBron James will sign a max contract is great news for the city of Cleveland. The money is chump change to the "King". The signing guarantees the stability of the franchise. Had James bolted for a bigger market I'm afraid the team could have been looking at relocation. James is the best thing to happen to Cleveland since the 1977 Barons.
Isiah Thomas is the new head coach of the Knicks. Oh, you already knew that? So much for my ability to come up with a scoop. Next appearance for Thomas is not at MSG but a leading role on "Survivor."
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Raps attempt to acquire another first round pick and draft a guard. Brandon Roy and Randy Foye can play for me any day. I like Rudy Gay as well.
If I was Pat Riley I would step down as head coach. He did his job. I'd hire Tom Izzo, grab a drink with an umbrella and relax.
If you play NBA Live T-Mac is on the cover of the '07 edition.
Am I the only guy on the planet that likes J.R. Smith?
It's not a question of if... it's a matter of when Jamaal Magloire is traded.
Unless Philly is blown away with a trade offer, they should keep Samuel Dalembert.
To see what's going on with my Cubs this summer is distressing.
My early World Series predicition: WhiteSox-Mets. What did you expect me to say? Royals-Pirates?
On Monday I will announce the winner of the Draft Night invitation. Thus far, I have received over 500 e-mails. Our fans are terrific. I thank you for your passion and support of the Raps.

E-mail me your thoughts on the draft cswirsky@torontoraptors.com. My phone number is 416-815-6189. Should the Raptors go big? Do they move down? Keep the pick?

Always a pleasure talking Raptors basketball.

Chuck Swirsky

Don't forget to catch the Chuck Swirsky Show weekdays from 1 until 4 p.m. on the FAN590.