Author Topic: Jared Borgetti Hints At Refs Rigging The Mex/Arg Game  (Read 71 times)

Big BpG

Jared Borgetti Hints At Refs Rigging The Mex/Arg Game
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:37:25 AM »
Probably the game of the world cup so far... we all saw the incredible goal, but the game wasn't w/o some questioning. Jared Borgetti had some things to say before leaving Germany.

--------

Jared Borgetti left Leipzig in the early hours of yesterday morning disappointed and disillusioned by Mexico's 2-1 extra-time defeat by Argentina. The Bolton Wanderers striker stopped just short of saying the game had been rigged in Argentina's favour but he questioned two decisions by the Swiss referee Massimo Busacca that had a direct impact, he felt, on the outcome.

The first was the 45th-minute trip by Gabriel Heinze on José Fonseca, for which Heinze was shown a yellow card. Borgetti and his Mexican colleagues thought the foul deserved red because Fonseca would have been free on goal but for the offence. Roberto Ayala was quite close but it is unlikely he would have been able to prevent Fonseca from shooting.

Article continues
"Oh yes, for me it was a red card," Borgetti said afterwards, in hesitant but clearly understandable English. "In this moment Fonseca is alone in front of the keeper. I don't know what happened with the referee. He said the other player [Ayala] was 10 metres away but he was a long way away."

At the time the score was 1-1 and although Fonseca was not certain to score it was undoubtedly an important decision by the referee.

Heinze, the Manchester United defender, was also accused by Borgetti of a deliberate forearm in his face in the second half. On a yellow card from the previous incident, Heinze would have been shown a second by many officials and Borgetti spoke to Busacca about it at length.

"He [the referee] said he sees it but it was not intentional," Borgetti said, his tone incredulous. "Why not? Is it normal? Pah! Always it goes for Argentina. For Fifa and the World [Cup] the Argentina jersey is more important in comparison to Mexico. They are good players. But for me, in this match Mexico plays better."

Argentina's first goalscorer, Hernán Crespo, recognised Mexico's valiant performance but disagreed with Borgetti's overall assessment. "Mexico played very well," he said. "They took a lot of risks and made us play a very open game. I don't really want to talk about the refs. You think they are the right person to do the job, but you know maybe the refs will make a mistake."

----------

We can stop beating a dead horse, just sharing the news. Even crespo from Arg is dissapointed with the Refs... especially over the offsides call given to Arg towards the end of the regulation.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 12:40:02 AM by Big BpG »

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05