Author Topic: The Best Baseball player of all time?  (Read 494 times)

Spicemuthafuc*in1

The Best Baseball player of all time?
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:22:40 AM »
I know Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and Hank Aaron were great but Im sorry Willie Mays is the best player of all time and if you think about it its not even close.  He could do it all, he was a master of the 5 tools think about it? He hit 660 home runs while he played in the very large polo grounds and he missed 2 years of his prime serving the country in the war so he lost out on 2 extra years of home runs. 

He also has 3000 hits so you can see he hit for power and average as good as anyone.  Then in the outfield he had more than 7,000 putouts thats amazing by far the most ever and he played the best center field, he won 12 gold gloves while the first four years of his career they didnt even have the award.  He had the best throwing arm and he was the best defensive outfielder ever, plus he also led the league 4 straight times in stolen bases and stole over 300 bases in his career.  Judging by all around talent  Willie Mays=G.O.AT.

BizzyR.I.P.

Re: The Best Baseball player of all time?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 12:34:14 AM »
Ruth>>>Mayes  Ruth also won 94 games and had a 2.28 ERA :P Mayes played in over 400 more games and 2,500 more at-bats yet has less HRs & RBIs than Ruth and Ruth batted .40 pts higher than Mayes for his career. And to say its not even close is absurd :grumpy:, you Giant fans crack me up :laugh:

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 12:37:21 AM »
Ruth>>>Mayes  Ruth also won 94 games and had a 2.28 ERA :P Mayes played in over 400 more games and 2,500 more at-bats yet has less HRs & RBIs than Ruth and Ruth batted .40 pts higher than Mayes for his career. And to say its not even close is absurd :grumpy:, you Giant fans crack me up :laugh:

Listen to 99% of people aged 50-70 and they will say MAYS not mayes was the best player they have ever seen.  Ruth never played against any minorities while Mays played against the best competition goin against pitchers like Sandy Koufax sorry Mays did everything perfect, the ideal 5 tool player Mays > Ruth all day every day

WestCoasta

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 12:44:16 AM »
you will all say I'm being ridiculous, but look at all the injurys and look what he's done and look what he could done

Ken Griffey, Jr.

without drugs too

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 12:46:30 AM »
you will all say I'm being ridiculous, but look at all the injurys and look what he's done and look what he could done

Ken Griffey, Jr.

without drugs too

Yea he's great but Bonds is better than he is and Mays is way better than he is.  He is clost to Mickey Mantle though which is amazing.

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 12:47:18 AM »

Listen to 99% of people aged 50-70 and they will say MAYS not mayes was the best player they have ever seen.  Ruth never played against any minorities while Mays played against the best competition goin against pitchers like Sandy Koufax sorry Mays did everything perfect, the ideal 5 tool player Mays > Ruth all day every day
::) No shit they will say mays is the best player, maybe it would be due to the fact that Ruth retired in the early 30's so they never saw him play :P And its not like theyre was many great minority pirchers Mays went up against, outside of who Bob Gibson?

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 12:49:19 AM »

Ken Griffey, Jr.

without drugs too

Yea he's great but Bonds is better than he is and Mays is way better than he is.  He is clost to Mickey Mantle though which is amazing.
LMAO I love you Giant fans, you guys kill me. Answer me this, if Bonds is better than griffey than y was Griffey named the player for the decade of the 90's and not Bonds? And once again he didnt use any steriods, unlike Bonds.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 12:51:32 AM »

Ken Griffey, Jr.

without drugs too

LMAO I love you Giant fans, you guys kill me. Answer me this, if Bonds is better than griffey than y was Griffey named the player for the decade of the 90's and not Bonds? And once again he didnt use any steriods, unlike Bonds.

umm why did sporting news pic barry over griffey as player of 90's.  steroids or not bonds > griffey easily

WestCoasta

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 12:51:52 AM »
Griffey could play INSANE defense too, Bonds is way out of his league in the outfield throughout their careers...

if Griffey woulda never got hurt he woulda had better numbers than Bonds, including the defense, WITHOUT steroids

that's pretty fuckin impressive, I don't think anyone touches Griffey.... and I'm not even a big Griffey fan, I'm just usin common sense

WestCoasta

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 12:53:03 AM »
this is aside from the old timers

I think they are different eras and shouldnt be combined when talking about todays players

so I'm just talkin about the last few decades

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 01:29:35 AM »
Griffey could play INSANE defense too, Bonds is way out of his league in the outfield throughout their careers...

if Griffey woulda never got hurt he woulda had better numbers than Bonds, including the defense, WITHOUT steroids

that's pretty fuckin impressive, I don't think anyone touches Griffey.... and I'm not even a big Griffey fan, I'm just usin common sense

way out of his league? bonds won 8 gold gloves. And Willie Mays is the best player of all time

The Best of 3 Worlds

WestCoasta

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:47:28 AM »
Griffey > Bonds  in the outfield

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 01:50:46 AM »
Griffey > Bonds  in the outfield

Griffey>>Bonds at the plate, only clear advantages Bonds had on Griffey were Stolen Bases and Walks.

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 01:57:16 AM »
And here are some #'s to back it up(gotta love the search button :laugh:)

:nawty: Griffey was named the player of the decade for the 90's. His defense and offense in the 90's was better than Bonds. Griffey hit more than 40 HR 6 times in the 90's twice hitting 56. Bond's hit more than 40 HR 3 times in the 90's. Bonds has driven in more than 130 runs only once, never in the 90's. Griffey did it 4 times 3 of the times he drove in at least 140 runs. The only part Bonds was better than Griffey was at running the bases and drawing walks. Had Griffey not been plagued with injuries after he got traded to the Reds we'd be talking about Griffey as possibly the greatest player ever and he'd be chasing Aaron.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 08:46:41 AM »
Michael Jordan, the GOAT.