Author Topic: LOL.. suprise suprise, Jay-Z is making a Comeback album, another fake retirement  (Read 2264 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
SGVs definitely got a point. Look at how he was marketed when he first came out in 99. They made a big deal about a white rapper that actually had skill. That's what put him on in the first place. It's sad but true. If he was brown or black, who knows where he'd be in the game. I still got a feeling his music would appeal to people regardless, but not on such a massive scale.

You can say that if he was darker he'd be another Snoop or Biggie, but to compare him to Rass Kass is ridiculous. White or not the songs were too catchy to be seen as Kweli type stuff. Even if he sold half of what he sold that still means 2x plus, 4x, plus 4x, plus 2, plus 2.5x platinum and still being near the top of rap record sales in the past few years.

SGV

I think these Eminem fans don't realize what got him signed in the first place. It was Dre hearing his tape and being like "Damn this dude is White?" MEANING... If he probably would've been Black, it would not have been a big deal. To say Eminem would be another Ras Kass is NOT far off. Eminem would never have had the chance to make the songs he makes now, had Dre never signed him. He'd still be making songs like "Any Man." Dre's guidance is what brought him along... so miss me with that "Ras Kass can't make songs like Eminem" bullshit. Before Dre, Em was your typical Underground emcee. With the right machine, the right guidance, the right MARKETING scheme (White emcee with skill), he blew up. Take away his White skin, I highly doubt he would've ever been signed. HENCE, he would've been another Ras Kass. Pay attention people.

Shallow, I brought up Roc-A-Wear as proof that no matter what Jigga puts his hands in, it's successful. Whether he ran Rocawear or not, Shady Gear was and still is pale in comparison to such a clothing line. Jigga never put his name on something so garbage.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

I think these Eminem fans don't realize what got him signed in the first place. It was Dre hearing his tape and being like "Damn this dude is White?" MEANING... If he probably would've been Black, it would not have been a big deal. To say Eminem would be another Ras Kass is NOT far off. Eminem would never have had the chance to make the songs he makes now, had Dre never signed him. He'd still be making songs like "Any Man." Dre's guidance is what brought him along... so miss me with that "Ras Kass can't make songs like Eminem" bullshit. Before Dre, Em was your typical Underground emcee. With the right machine, the right guidance, the right MARKETING scheme (White emcee with skill), he blew up. Take away his White skin, I highly doubt he would've ever been signed. HENCE, he would've been another Ras Kass. Pay attention people.

Shallow, I brought up Roc-A-Wear as proof that no matter what Jigga puts his hands in, it's successful. Whether he ran Rocawear or not, Shady Gear was and still is pale in comparison to such a clothing line. Jigga never put his name on something so garbage.
ter

You're an idiot, that's not the story at all. Dre heard Eminem's shit and had no clue he was white...He said it himself, he was susprised as hell when he did finally find out he was white, after already showing interest...LMAO@the comparison of Eminem and Ras Kass...You moron, most of the "Slim Shady LP" (which is the record that Em blew up off) was recorded BEFORE Em met Dre...Stop making up shit, you really don't deserve posting privaleges with the stupid shit you say... :-X

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch

Today: Jay-Z >>> Eminem.

not really fair considering eminem isn't putting out music right now

Eminem, if his skin was darker, would've been another Ras Kass, Talib Kweli, etc. Dude's NOT as great as everyone TRIES to make him out to be.
that's a 'what-if' that will never be known. here is what is known,  Eminem is as great as everyone makes him out to be
Facts:
eminem killed Biggy on his own track
eminem killed Jay-z on his own tack
eminem has killed everyone as a matter of fact on everyone else's tracks
eminem is more versitile with his song writing
eminem is the first rap artist to win an oscar for an original song
eminem has 2 critically acclaimed classics
eminem has an underground acclaimed classic
eminem can write,produce, engineer,perform and sell his own music (Prince status)
eminem music reaches more than just the african american comunity
eminem is known and accepted more in the international comunity
an eminem record will always be more anticipated than a jay-z record

Dude fell off after his first album and just continues to sink lower and lower
on infinite and sslp eminem was a lyrical assassin.

mmlp eminem managed to expand his artistic credibility by writing songs like stan and started talking about issues as apposed to snorting coke with marsions

mms, eminem expanded this theory more by delving more into his personal life , and rather than trying to preach to the dienfranchised black comunity he spoke to his own comunity and became more of the voice for the disenfrachised white kids across america, but at the same time not alienating the african american community (something the beasty boys failed to do)

encore, tried to recreate the mms again....can be called a flop but still had 4 or 5 tracks that said something

so if you want to say eminem gradually fell off because he didn't deliver tounge twisting mind benders like he did on infinite and sslp.....u can say that. but artistically he's grown from album to album while stalling at encore. maybe that's why he's taking time off to reinvent himself or to escape the pressures of trying to outdue himself. but like shallow said eminem is more than just a one trick pony. eminem has depth, dimensions something jay-z doesn't .

People have the nerve to diss someone like Cam'Ron for rapping non-sensical shit, but will be quick to give Eminem a pass for making a song like "Ass Like That." LOL. Dude's garbage

how many songs has eminem put out like ass like that? like 3 or 4. and that's through out his career. now how many songs has cam put out this year like that .....more than that. i'm sorry but if more than half of your catelouge is non-sensical ,like cam's is, you're not an artist....you're just another Sam bo dancing around eating water melon for a white man. THAT'S GARBAGE.

In their prime's: Jigga > Eminem.

opinion.
That "Renegade" track was a bunch of hype. You would hope that Eminem, as an emcee, would have crafted a beat that he knew he could rip.

so you're saying eminem produced that track with an intention to make himself look better than jay-z?
here's two things that make what you just said detrimental to your argument.
1. you're basically saying that jay-z isn't versitile enough to rap over an unfamiliar beat. if infact jay-z was the better artist, as you have stated  you beleive. he should be able to shine over eminem on ANY beat. KRS could do it, Pac could do it, Biggy could do it, hell even Pun could do it. and again i'll bring up the track "dead wrong" eminem SHINNED on that track....and that's NY grimmy to the fullest that comlimented big to the fullest , but em was still able to shine , and arguably outshinned biggy. now that speaks for eminem's versitility . you can make that track an accapella and em still had that nicer verse.
2. how is the track just hype? it was never promoted, it wasn't marketed, and hell it basicallly hidden at the end of the cd, it wasn't intended on being as memorable as it was. so basically what you're implying is that eminem is able to take a track from intended filler to memorable status....that's pretty damn good for a 'garbage' artist who 'fell off after his first album'.

As Business Men: Jigga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eminem
Roc-A-Wear (though not Jay's sole creation) shit's all over Shady Wear (LMAO. Who wears that shit?). Roc-A-Fella (and now Def Jam) shit's on Shady.

i agree that jay-z is better at making business ventures for himself, but it's not like em isn't doing that bad for himself outside of rap either:

afterall ,after eminem ,raps 2nd biggest name is on HIS lable 
afterall, 8 mile is the highest grossing hip hop related movie of all time

jay-z is a former drug dealer , i'd expect him to be able to hustle better than em, but financially it's not like one makes THAT much more than the other

Take away Slim Shady LP, Eminem is just another rapper that makes a catchy first single but follows up with mediocre albums.

u say that like jay-z doesn't have mediocre albums,lol. as a matter of fact he's got 2 albums worse than encore
[/quote]

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
I brought up Roc-A-Wear as proof that no matter what Jigga puts his hands in, it's successful.

marinate on jay-z's career for a minute and rethink that statement

SGV

ter

You're an idiot, that's not the story at all. Dre heard Eminem's shit and had no clue he was white...He said it himself, he was susprised as hell when he did finally find out he was white, after already showing interest...LMAO@the comparison of Eminem and Ras Kass...You moron, most of the "Slim Shady LP" (which is the record that Em blew up off) was recorded BEFORE Em met Dre...Stop making up shit, you really don't deserve posting privaleges with the stupid shit you say... :-X

LMAO @ You always getting so hurt. As you would say "You're on my dick." Nonetheless, Dre heard the tape, met Em and was shocked to see a white dude. White dude who can spit = $$$$. His spitting made Dre look, his skin made Dre pay attention and stick with him. Nothing stupid. Soley truth. It's only stupid when you get hurt.

Jake: Again, I would hope Eminem would hop on a track that has a verse by a dead man and would be able to write something hotter. It's not like Biggie can come back and re-do his verse. Em has a critically acclaimed good first Major release. He has a bunch of Media hyped albums that follow and one Underground LP that gets the "Classic" stamp by kids who heard the album years down the line AFTER they were fans of Eminem. Btw, The Black Albums anticipation >>>>>> Any Eminem record (and Em was on The Black Album.) No doubt about it, if Jay and Em both make another solo record, people are going to want to hear that Jigga album more. Jigga doesn't need depth cuz he's not that type of rapper. He's not a Chuck D. He's not a KRS. He's a street cat. He's a hustler. He's a club dude. He's a grown man making music that anyone can feel. Don't give me this bullshit "oh Em is showing depth, oh he's growing up." Dude's like 34, he should've been grown by Dre found him. He had to have been around 26-27. His growing up can be credited to his getting that deal, which, in my eyes, would've never came about had he NOT been White.

Anyway, Em crafting a beat that will make it easier for him to rock is the key thing. If he would've made it a beat that was intune to something Eminem would generally rock. Em never had a chance like that before. Jigga letting him get on a record was great for both parties. It's Jigga putting on the latest big thing in Hip Hop and it's Em rockin' with the biggest thing in Hip Hop. LMAO @ The filler statement. Someone putting Em on a track, only to make it a filler track would be insane. Jigga, Dame and Biggs knew that putting Em on your album would create the contraversy of "Who will rock this track iller?" But, I personally think Jay came off hotter. Just like you wrote: OPINION. More than likely, if Nas would've never said that line, people PROBABLY would be singing a different tune. Again, opinion.

Jay runs Def Jam. Em runs Shady. Em's not sole the reason behind 50... Iovine and Dre are. It's an everyday thing for 50's name to be brought up and Dre or Jimmy's name be directly attached to it. Can't say the same for Em. Something soley put out by Em would be Obie and D-12. Put them against a Young Jeezy... Who did a better job? Jigga and Def Jam. If you want to bring up 50 though, match him with Kanye. Jay's as responsible for Kanye as Em is for 50.

u say that like jay-z doesn't have mediocre albums,lol. as a matter of fact he's got 2 albums worse than encore

Opinion.

Lastly: Of course Amil, what other disasters does Jay have? Bleek doesn't do Plat, but he at least hits Gold. Jay's never had to play Willie Wonka to get people to buy his artists records.

But, since you like to say it so much: Opinion.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch

Jake: Again, I would hope Eminem would hop on a track that has a verse by a dead man and would be able to write something hotter. It's not like Biggie can come back and re-do his verse.

that's fair it's not like biggy can come back and make it better, but it's not like em jumped on just any track, he jumped on a hot biggy track. he couldn't just throw out anythign, it's like vince carter doing a dunk after dominque wilkins....vince carter is a great dunk and so was 'nique .....but not just anyone can do what nique could do , you'd have to be pretty fuckin good to at least hang with him, same here with em/big.  so it can be said em can hang with the best of them easily , he's not some garbage emcee.  i don't think i've heard jay try to mess with a biggy track like dead wrong. do you feel what i'm saying? if jay can't bring himself up to speed on a track like renegade  (which was made before he spat on it) but eminem can on a track like dead wrong....waht is that saying?

Em has a critically acclaimed good first Major release. He has a bunch of Media hyped albums that follow and one Underground LP that gets the "Classic" stamp by kids who heard the album years down the line AFTER they were fans of Eminem.

Em has three critically acclaimed albums, the Slim Shady Lp, The Marshall mathers LP, and The Eminem Show two of which are featured in rollingstone's 500 greatest albums of all time list (which was filled with mostly albums from the 60's and 70's)  Spin, Blender, And Many Music Critics Praise all three of these works. encore isn't going to get any love because it simply wasn't up to par and infinite gets love from all those underground/backpacking hip hop heads.  so it's not like he has a bad back catelouge , he's got 1 bad albums in how many years of being out? 9 almost 10 years that's not a bad standard to live by. even if encore is his last work, it's not likehe's not capable of making hot music.

Btw, The Black Albums anticipation >>>>>> Any Eminem record (and Em was on The Black Album.)

black album 1st week sales=463,000
encore 1st weeks sales=711,000 (and not to mention his first 2 albums had platnum 1st week totals)

in a time of downloadable albums  eminem looks like he's more anticipated

No doubt about it, if Jay and Em both make another solo record, people are going to want to hear that Jigga album more.

maybe amist  all the barflies, but the numbers don't lie. care to recant your statement ?

Jigga doesn't need depth cuz he's not that type of rapper.

all artists need depth, if you can't relate to the people then you're just a card board cut out , a product, a sam bo, a tool of the industry . you're no artist

He's not a Chuck D. He's not a KRS. He's a street cat. He's a hustler. He's a club dude. He's a grown man making music that anyone can feel.

he use to be a street cat...
while jay-z rendezvouz in france for months and rolls around in the hamptons, while chuck d and KRS are still in the street

and being a grown man and being a club dude are two different things

Don't give me this bullshit "oh Em is showing depth, oh he's growing up." Dude's like 34, he should've been grown by Dre found him. He had to have been around 26-27. His growing up can be credited to his getting that deal, which, in my eyes, would've never came about had he NOT been White.

1. i will give you taht 'bullshit', no one stops growing up til they die . em moved passed partying and kid shit and has gone through marriage and children, something jay-z hasn't gone through he's stuck in his 20's when dude's knocking at 40....sgv that's not a good thing to be remember that. eminem can speak to the club crowd but he can still speak to them once they've left the club, and unless you're a bar fly you spend more time at home then at the club

2. em growing up is more contributed to his daughter and a lesser extent kim. growth musically can be atributed to dre signing him showing a few production and business tips. em couldn't get a deal white , that was the problem, he was just as good as anybody but no one would sing him becuase he was white....em was the 'great white hope'  in hip hop music. dre signing em was one of the biggest gambles in his career. flop  was predicted, they were just hoping for mediocre success.

Anyway, Em crafting a beat that will make it easier for him to rock is the key thing. If he would've made it a beat that was intune to something Eminem would generally rock. Em never had a chance like that before. Jigga letting him get on a record was great for both parties

eminem was already credible and selling well ...so i don't get what you're trying to say by 'jigga letting him get on a record' .....em was doing jay a bigger favor when you think about it

It's Jigga putting on the latest big thing in Hip Hop and it's Em rockin' with the biggest thing in Hip Hop.

eminem was the biggest thing in hip hop , i don't think jay-z has ever been the biggest thing in hip hop. he's always been "one of" he's always been in the commercial shadow of some one else, hell even his woman makes him a shadow

LMAO @ The filler statement. Someone putting Em on a track, only to make it a filler track would be insane.

no one hyped it that much before it dropped, after it dropped is when people started talking

Jigga, Dame and Biggs knew that putting Em on your album would create the contraversy of "Who will rock this track iller?"

by you implying this you realize you're admitting that eminem is more than 'garbage'

if Nas would've never said that line, people PROBABLY would be singing a different tune.
people on here , on sohh.com, and in many publications were saying eminem came off nicer way before Nas said it. lol

Jay runs Def Jam. Em runs Shady. Em's not sole the reason behind 50... Iovine and Dre are. It's an everyday thing for 50's name to be brought up and Dre or Jimmy's name be directly attached to it. Can't say the same for Em. Something soley put out by Em would be Obie and D-12. Put them against a Young Jeezy... Who did a better job? Jigga and Def Jam. If you want to bring up 50 though, match him with Kanye. Jay's as responsible for Kanye as Em is for 50.

i hate 50 cent,but 50 credits (credited now) dre AND em for building him. and yeah you can credit jay for kanye ,but em still comes out on top here

obie/d-12 or young jeezy....let's see what happens AFTER young jeez drops another album and we'll talk

XaNdEr

obies last album is better than any roc-albums put out lately imo

coola

why is everyone comparing eminem to jay-z ? eminem was a huge fan of jay-z before he hit... and alot of eminems early shit, sounded alot like jay-z's...

"And I could give a fuck what category you place me

Long as when I'm pushing up daisies and gone

As long as you place me amongst one of them greats

When I hit the heavenly gates I'll be cool beside Jay-Z"

both eminem and jay-z still release dope tracks... it's just a shame that eminem doesnt release alot of dope tracks anymore.... but i still rate him as a great mc...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:46:06 AM by Chief »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

But, I personally think Jay came off hotter. Just like you wrote: OPINION.

That's what it comes down to...Your opinions are RETARDED. By the way, Em requestedly re-did the "Renegade" beat for Jay-Z so that it would fit his style better... ::) LMAO@creating a beat with the intention of rocking it better than whoever else gets on it...WOW, THE WAY YOU THINK IS PATHETIC. If Rakim got on "Renegades", he woulda' rocked it 10 times better than Jay...Eminem>>>>>>AZ>>>Jay-Z...PeACe

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I dont know how yall came to arguing about something that obvious, but without further ado, Ill say it loud and Ill say it proud: Eminem at his best wipes the floor with Jay-Z at his best.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

"THE" MoSav

Jay-Z>>>>>>Em

Eminem was a lyrical assasin on his first few cd's but his last cd was TRASH!! Imo and his lyrics werent what they used to be....and Jay-Z sounds as good on the Black Album as he does on Reasonable Doubt IMO

The Best of 3 Worlds