Author Topic: Maddux to Dodgers for Izturis, Dodgers also trade for SS Lugo  (Read 115 times)

BizzyR.I.P.

CHICAGO -- The Greg Maddux era in Chicago is over.

The Cubs traded Maddux, their former ace and a four-time Cy Young Award winner, to the Dodgers on Monday in exchange for infielder Cesar Izturis.

Maddux, a 327-game winner who was in his second stint with the Cubs, waived his no-trade clause to join the Dodgers, agent Scott Boras said.

Maddux started the season 5-0 but the 40-year-old has won four games since. He is 9-11 with a 4.69 ERA in 22 starts.

The Dodgers also acquired shortstop Julio Lugo from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in exchange for highly touted minor league prospect Joel Guzman and fellow minor-leaguer Sergio Pedroza, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

Lugo will play second base for a while Jeff Kent is sidelined by an oblique injury and will reassess his position when Kent returns.

Maddux began his career with the Cubs before leaving after the 1992 season as a free agent to join the Atlanta Braves. He spent 11 years with Atlanta before rejoining the Cubs in 2004.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2535506
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:59:50 PM by BombFirst »

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Maddux to Dodgers for Izturis
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:49:59 PM »
Still unless the only have a outside shot at the division and i dont think the padres will lose it.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Maddux to Dodgers for Izturis, Dodgers also trade for SS Lugo
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:21:50 PM »
So So trade for Maddux, extremely wack trade for Lugo

Jakubs

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:29:58 PM »
Being a Cubs fan I really don't know what to think of this. I wish they would have kept Maddux til the end of the year and then just not signed him again. I hate seeing older players start to bounce around at the end of their career. I don't know what use we have for Izturis either. Cedeno is supposed to be our shortstop for the future. The only thing I can see happening is moving Cedeno to second and getting rid of Todd Walker. Either way, I don't see how this trade really benefits either team very much. So long Maddux, thanks for some great years.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:37:13 PM »
Being a Cubs fan I really don't know what to think of this. I wish they would have kept Maddux til the end of the year and then just not signed him again. I hate seeing older players start to bounce around at the end of their career. I don't know what use we have for Izturis either. Cedeno is supposed to be our shortstop for the future. The only thing I can see happening is moving Cedeno to second and getting rid of Todd Walker. Either way, I don't see how this trade really benefits either team very much. So long Maddux, thanks for some great years.
CHICAGO (Ticker) - The first-place San Diego Padres acquired infielder Todd Walker from the Chicago Cubs for minor league righthander Jose Ceda before Monday's trade deadline.

The Padres may use the lefthanded-hitting Walker at second base or third base. The likely scenario is third base, where Mark Bellhorn and Geoff Blum are being used after Vinny Castilla was released earlier in the month. Bellhorn is batting just .204 and Blum .250. Rookie second baseman Josh Barfield is hitting .296 for the Padres.

Walker, 33, will provide an offensive upgrade at third base. He hit .277 with six homers and 40 RBI in 94 games with the Cubs.

Signed as a free agent by Chicago in 2004, Walker hit .286 with 33 home runs and 130 RBI in 333 games with the Cubs.

San Diego (55-50) leads Arizona (53-51) by 1 1/2 games in the National League West.

Ceda, 19, went 4-2 with a 1.50 ERA in 13 games, including nine starts, for the Padres' Dominican Summer League Team in 2005. He limited opponents to a .174 batting average while striking out 83 in 60 innings.

This season, Ceda is 2-0 with a 2.00 ERA in six games, including three starts, with the Padres' Arizona League club.

Jakubs

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:41:54 PM »
I just read about Todd Walker to the Padres on ESPN. I don't understand what the Cubs are thinking, then again how they hell can you when they haven't won anything for 98 damn years! :rant:
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:17:37 PM »
bad moves for Dodgers