Author Topic: My failed attempt to expose some young rap fans to real hip-hop  (Read 1075 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
These kids I know around 14 and 15 years old are always rapping songs on the radio like Young Joc, or E-40's new stuff, Franchise Boys, stuff like that.  So anyway, I wanted to try and expose them to some of what I consider to be real hip-hop.  Because to me, real hip-hop involves great lyrics, so I wanted to play them something really lyrical.  I decided to pull out a concept song.

I played Common's "I Used To Love Her" track.  It failed to have any impact on them.  They thought the song was about a woman, and by the time Common indicates to the listener that the woman is a metaphor for hip-hop their short, abbrievated tension spans had long forgotten the song was even playing.  I had to later explain to them what the song was talking about, which took the piss out of the whole thing.

I think it went way over their heads, I think these kids only understand basic lyrics about money or sex, two of the most basic desires.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sikotic™

Re: My failed attempt to expose some young rap fans to real hip-hop
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:43:52 AM »
I'm trying to explain the same thing to my younger brother. I was exposing him to some Nas' Illmatic, old skool Cube, Kam, Masta Ace, and Talib Kweli the other day. He was really only into the Talib Kweli......I guess it's a start.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

wcsoldier

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:59:54 AM »
if "these young rap fans" are really interested in rap, hip hop.. they gonna discover themselves what's real hip hop with the time.. I think it's safe to say nobody (or a very few) start to listen to rap by pickin a Immortal Technique or Mos Def album... On the other hand, rap has turned pop nowadays so a lot don't care about the music, they just listen to rap becoz that's the number 1 kind of music these days.. same people will listen to techno(or whatever)  if it'll become the main kind of music played on radio, tv

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 01:07:52 AM »
i guess i was the same when i was younger, it really took me a while to discover that a lot of artists, who dont necessarily get a lot of airplay or have videos on mtv, make dope music and i suppose the internet has a lot to do with that...i wouldnt have heard of a lot of my favourite artists if it wasnt for the net...it was only then i really started listening to music i consider to be dope, rather than those who are forced on you by tv and radio...its frustrating to me trying to explain to friends about these dope artists, usually the reply i get is "if they're that good, why havent i seen their video on tv"?  :-\

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:14:37 AM »
I've been listening to rap since like 13.... but I started paying attention and understanding music a lot more when I got like 17

depends, could either be a maturity thing or the kids will never get it... one or the other

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 01:22:55 AM »
Hopefully, they'll get it!

kemizt

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 07:02:51 AM »
if "these young rap fans" are really interested in rap, hip hop.. they gonna discover themselves what's real hip hop with the time.. I think it's safe to say nobody (or a very few) start to listen to rap by pickin a Immortal Technique or Mos Def album... On the other hand, rap has turned pop nowadays so a lot don't care about the music, they just listen to rap becoz that's the number 1 kind of music these days.. same people will listen to techno(or whatever)  if it'll become the main kind of music played on radio, tv

I agree. If they want to understand hip hop they'd do it by themselves. You can't force a kid to do something cuz it'll just turn them away more...most likely. I had to come to a realization myself. I used to be obsessed wit the Hot Boys. I used to rock bandannas all over myself. One on my head, one around my neck, one holding my pant leg up and another one on my wrist. I even used to buy the silver chains out the 25 cent machine becuz that's the kind of music I used love. Just anything Cash Money. I was blind about what real hip hop was. But nobody told me what I was listening too was crap or something until I really started to listen to Busta Rhymes lyrics. Than my love for real hip hop started to surface. If a kid listens to something and likes it alot they're just gonna stick wit it, there's no way to try and school 'em, unfortunetly, if they hooked on something its gon take alot to get em off....unless they figure it out by themselves.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 07:05:40 AM »
E-40 is one of the most lyrical rappers this genre has ever seen. Soak his shit in, you might learn something.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Elevz

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 08:11:03 AM »
I played Common's "I Used To Love Her" track.  It failed to have any impact on them.  They thought the song was about a woman, and by the time Common indicates to the listener that the woman is a metaphor for hip-hop their short, abbrievated tension spans had long forgotten the song was even playing.  I had to later explain to them what the song was talking about, which took the piss out of the whole thing.

I think it went way over their heads, I think these kids only understand basic lyrics about money or sex, two of the most basic desires.

+1 for even trying... Perhaps Common isn't really a good example because he seems soft to these kids. Maybe next time try some Eric B. & Rakim or something...

Then again, as mentioned already; they'll discover by themselves sooner or later. That's the best way to get around to it. And well, if they never really get to find out what Hip-Hop is... Ignorance is bliss, so they say. I'm not quite positive on that one though ;)

CanadActive

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Only one GOAT... MJ
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »
Same thing happened with my brother (who's 16 years old)... He was listening to Chingy, Mike Jones and all that shit...  But one day he started to check out some 2pac shit, and then he started to understand the importance of lyrics!!!

Then he got into The Roots, Talib, Cee-lo, Outkast, Boot Camp, etc... So I really think that if you want to catch someone attention with "real" hip-hop you gotta start with something they already know and respect (like 2pac, Biggie, Wu-Tang, etc.), and then, once they understand the essence of hip hop, they would discover other things...

Or maybe my brother ain't just that stupid!!!!!!!
The Canadian Polish

Diabolical

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:02:57 AM »
You need to get some years before you can really take many things seriously.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
They'll get it into their heads.  Do you see any 25 year old guys driving by bumping Mike Jones??? No.  They will follow in your footsteps.  My brothers have.  It takes repetition.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 10:40:33 AM »
Your mistake was showing them a guy like Common. He just won't appeal to mainstream hip hop listeners. Like someone else said introduce them to someone like 2Pac, because he has great crossover music that's versatile and is deeply respected by all hip hop listeners.

I'm trying to explain the same thing to my younger brother. I was exposing him to some Nas' Illmatic, old skool Cube, Kam, Masta Ace, and Talib Kweli the other day. He was really only into the Talib Kweli......I guess it's a start.
No dipset?

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 11:03:29 AM »
i was like them for just like 3-4 years ago... what really got me into hiphop was 50 cent's get rich or die trying.. even though i heard the music a little before that it was 50 cent who took me in.. i must say i have come alot further than 50 cent now :P... so 50 cent actually do 1 good thing for me :)

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:11:42 AM »
Shit I started off with shit like Young MC and MC Hammer back in the day, then I gravitated towards Public Enemy and it was all over after that.

The difference between now and back then is that the mainstream stuff is so easily accessible. Back then, there were maybe 4 or 5 rap songs that were played on the radio at any given time period, so if you wanted to hear more, you had to search for it. Nowadays, mainstream rap is so huge and diluted that it's everywhere. There's no need for kids to dig deeper to find the real shit.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels