Author Topic: Celtic close to Gravesen capture  (Read 221 times)

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

Celtic close to Gravesen capture
« on: August 28, 2006, 02:14:01 PM »
Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen is in Glasgow for talks and a medical with Celtic.
Gravesen told BBC Sport on Sunday that Celtic and four English Premiership sides - Newcastle, Bolton, Everton and Middlesbrough - were in for him.

Gravesen left Everton for Spain in a £2.5m deal in January 2005 and has been made available for a £2m fee.

And Real president Ramon Calderon told the club website that an agreement had been reached to sell Gravesen.

The 30-year-old hopes to have a new club before Thursday's transfer deadline and Denmark's opening match of the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

The Danes are due to play an international friendly against Portugal on Friday, before they start on the road to Euro 2008 away to Iceland on 6 September.

The Danish squad was to assemble on Sunday but national coach Morten Olsen has given Gravesen time off to secure a new club.

A Celtic spokesman would only say that "talks (with Gravesen) are ongoing".

Former Celtic player Tommy Burns, now head of youth development at Parkhead, believes Gravesen would be a great signing.

"He has got a great pedigree," Burns said.

"He played in the English Premiership and made a big impact there.

"He went to Real Madrid and maybe didn't make so much of an impact there because they obviously have so many top players.

"But I don't think there is any doubt that, if Celtic get him to come here, he would make a huge impact."

If Celtic are to sign Gravesen, it would suggest that Stilian Petrov is leaving Scotland, with Aston Villa favourites to land the Bulgarian.

PLEASE COME TO CELTIC TOMMY!!......Would ease the pain of losing Petrov.

Gravesen, Jarosik, Lennon, Mcgeady, Maloney, Nakamura = A great midfield.

Gravesen and a defender would do me till January.

The Maestro

Intriago33

Re: Celtic close to Gravesen capture
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:41:58 PM »
Gravesen would be a great signing for Celtic.

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »

Yup.

Sorry dude but I really can't agree with that.

* I love Neil Lennon but he has almost cost us the last 3 games in a row.  (did against hearts, almost against cally, almost against hibs twice!)
* Jarosik needs to prove himself very much before he is to be considered part of a "great" midfield.  His overall performances for Celtic have been below average.
* McGeady and Maloney YES!  2 absolute talents that Celtic must do everything to hang onto.  When both are missing we struggle.  Altho credit is given to JVOH, anyone at the game would agree that it was McGeady who won us the game.  Without him we are lost.  Maloney = player of the season 05/06 & plenty more to come!!
* Nakamura is talented, no dispute but time will tell whether he can cut it in Scottish football.  I don't really mean cut it, I mean be able to play in it.  So often it seems that he is too lightweight but I guess with Maloney missing it is crucial to have someone like him in the team for set pieces.

Nakamura
McGeady                 Maloney
              Gravesen

this would prolly be our strongest midfield, it's when naka drops back, his defensive qualities are called into question.  if he plays in the hole and just creates with the confidence he doesn't need to come back as gravsen is there then celtic could flourish.

that is all. :D
NO MORE WAR

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 03:29:13 PM »

Yup.

Sorry dude but I really can't agree with that.

* I love Neil Lennon but he has almost cost us the last 3 games in a row.  (did against hearts, almost against cally, almost against hibs twice!)
* Jarosik needs to prove himself very much before he is to be considered part of a "great" midfield.  His overall performances for Celtic have been below average.
* McGeady and Maloney YES!  2 absolute talents that Celtic must do everything to hang onto.  When both are missing we struggle.  Altho credit is given to JVOH, anyone at the game would agree that it was McGeady who won us the game.  Without him we are lost.  Maloney = player of the season 05/06 & plenty more to come!!
* Nakamura is talented, no dispute but time will tell whether he can cut it in Scottish football.  I don't really mean cut it, I mean be able to play in it.  So often it seems that he is too lightweight but I guess with Maloney missing it is crucial to have someone like him in the team for set pieces.

Nakamura
McGeady                 Maloney
              Gravesen

this would prolly be our strongest midfield, it's when naka drops back, his defensive qualities are called into question.  if he plays in the hole and just creates with the confidence he doesn't need to come back as gravsen is there then celtic could flourish.

that is all. :D

Yeh good points, the old green tinted glasses were on for a minute. lol

The Maestro

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 03:30:46 PM »
Lol, yeah I got a pair of those too!! haha
NO MORE WAR

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:31:04 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/5290454.stm

Doesnt look like he will sign...
Although its not totally dead..