Author Topic: Where would Eminem fit in on your list?  (Read 529 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Where would Eminem fit in on your list?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »
Eminem has a couple of hot tracks (not more than 10) and that's about it...he fell off real fast.

'Till I Collapse
White America
Stan
The Way I Am
Remember Me?
I'm Back
Kim
Guilty Conscience
Brain Damage
Role Model
If I Had
'97 Bonnie and Clyde
Rock Bottom
Just Don't Give a Fuck
Bad Meets Evil
Still Don't Give a Fuck
Lose Yourself
Say What You Say
Sing for the Moment

Diabolical

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 11:50:06 AM »
Probably not even in my top 100.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 11:57:07 AM »
Where would he fit on what list? He wouldnt even come close to being on my favorite rappers list. He definitely would top the all time overrated rapper list with Jay Z at a distant 2nd.

WestCoasta

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 12:07:27 PM »
I don't really like him, but he is a good rapper when he comes correct

I like his first 2 albums, they'll always bring back memories, those 2 are real nice.... still put 'em on once in a while

after MMLP I lost interest in him

then he started wearing bandanas with cut-off shirts and batting gloves and acting way too blackish for my taste

If he wouldn't have tried to pull off shit with gats and having these lame beefs

n acting like the world is against him and taking everything so seriously, then I'd probably take him more seriously

he's good for a listen here and there but that's it.... he's up there tho, very good rapper

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006, 12:14:41 PM »
Eminem has a couple of hot tracks (not more than 10) and that's about it...he fell off real fast.

'Till I Collapse
White America
Stan
The Way I Am
Remember Me?
I'm Back
Kim
Guilty Conscience
Brain Damage
Role Model
If I Had
'97 Bonnie and Clyde
Rock Bottom
Just Don't Give a Fuck
Bad Meets Evil
Still Don't Give a Fuck
Lose Yourself
Say What You Say
Sing for the Moment

retrokyd

• Lil Geezy
  • It's Dipset Bitch!
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006, 12:26:51 PM »
Soul Intent- wack
Infinite- worst thing i've ever heard
Slim Shady EP- decent
Slim Shady LP- nice
Marshall Mathers LP- nice
Eminem Show- wack
Encore- wack
Greatest Hits- what hits?

Like I said I thought the 2 "LPs" were str8 and he's had a few good tracks here and there besides those albums but other than that he breaks character too much and is too fake. I don't like fake artists.

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2006, 12:28:12 PM »
Soul Intent- wack
Infinite- worst thing i've ever heard
Slim Shady EP- decent
Slim Shady LP- nice
Marshall Mathers LP- nice
Eminem Show- wack
Encore- wack
Greatest Hits- what hits?

Like I said I thought the 2 "LPs" were str8 and he's had a few good tracks here and there besides those albums but other than that he breaks character too much and is too fake. I don't like fake artists.

on point. 

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 12:44:47 PM »

Eminem around the eminem show days was without doubt my favourite rapper besides Nas and Jay-Z. Encore was.....I can't find the words to describe just how awful that album is, and now ive heard Akon feat Eminem....oh god. I don't know where I would place eminem now, i prefer not to think about the current eminem. To me he has become a joke, thats not to say there werent a couple of good songs on encore but for the most part that album if it truly is his last, he has ruined his legacy.

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2006, 12:48:07 PM »
^^Yup, the more I think about it, I was to generous placing him in the top65-70.  Now he is honestly lucky if he's top 100, he is unlistenable now. Soooo many rappers now better than Em.

$Eg2$

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2006, 12:58:13 PM »
Em's diss records are good but he fell off Im sicck of his Pop tart records they all sound the same on the all time list i gotta say top 40 maybe top 30

PLANT

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2006, 06:45:59 PM »
Id put him in the 10 I think......top 15 for sure

Sikotic™

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »
Honestly, I'll put him in the top 10, but the lower portion. He doesn't even scratch the top 5, especially after Encore.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »
#14 on my alll time greatest list.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
I got him at 19

25. Common

Strongest album: Resurrection

Those who are in the underground long enough are forgotten, and are never talked of in the greatest of all times list. Then there are some who just make great record after great record, and make their spot amoung the best, even if the mainstream is sleeping. Common is that rapper, that no matter who is listening, he speaks his mind, and refuses to let his talent become a label waste. Common, with his spoken word flow, voice hits hard when he is making a point, and his love for black women make his a rapper that can be label "conscience." Common's interest in Hip-Hop though, have been questioned from time to time. His effort in Electric Circus caused some of his friends to think he was falling off. But in the end, he joined up with Kanye West, and produced what maybe his best album ever, BE, and solidified himself as a top 25 rapper releasing his 2nd classic album of his career.

24. Run

Strongest album: Run DMC

Run DMC is without a doubt, the reason many Hip-Hop acts are even one MTV. They were the first group popular on MTV, and their hit single with Aerosmith lead the way for many other Rock/Rap duets. Run and DMC had unque chemistry on the mic, as they perfected the tag team technique, trading off lyrics well telling a story. One of the very few to use tag team rhyming, and actually make sense, both Run and DMC showed that they were MC's to be respected. No one in the rap game ever questions what the name Run DMC means to Hip-Hop, and they may have more respect from other artist than any other rapper out their. Run DMC may not be on many list, because they are hard to rank, but to be honest, their tag team style, and their chemistry pulling it off when many can't, shows that they deserve to be put on any list, and their influence, and the respect from their peers which is how many MC's are rank, is a strong argument that they may be the most underrated MC's of all time in terms of people ranking them as MC's.

23. M.C. Ren

Strongest album: Shock of the Hour

When Ice Cube left N.W.A., many felt that the group was over. Little did they know Eazy E had one more trick up his sleeve. In came the Villian in Black to save the day. A rougher west coast gangsta flow, with east coast lyrical skills, MC Ren controlled the mic, and was the star of the album Efil4zaggin. Since, he released many solid underground CDs, and his presents on the mic, though unheard by the general public, showed way he was the man that put N.W.A. on his back lyrically speaking, and was able to keep the group aflout. Since, Ren has kept his skills up, and is even starting to break in some underground rappers. The difference between his career and other N.W.A. members is that Ren was not as outspoken in the national media. His impact on the game though will always be felt. A rumor about a N.W.A. reunion had many people excited that Ren would be back in the spotlight, but when things feel apart, Ren took it in stride, instead working with other westcoast legends like Paris. Ren is a legend in the game, someone who help create one of the greatest rap groups ever. Ren's mark in Hip-Hop history will always be seen, especially when someone sceams Fuck the Police.

22.Big Pun

Strongest album: Capital Punishment

Who is the first Latin Rapper to come home with a platnum plaque. Big Pun. One of the hardest, realest rappers to come out, Big Pun was everyone's hope to be the next Biggie. He maybe a big man, but his delievery could be clocked in the 40 yard dash next to Deion Sanders in terms of speed when he tried, and as one of the most lyrically gifted latin rappers ever, Big Pun had a huge Latino base of fans. Many mourned the lose of one of the best rappers out there. The Punisher's presents in the game was one of the strongest to be felt. He was able to put out a record that had the rare double appeal, as both the streets and the pop charts where loving it. Still Not a Playa was a very small taste of the talent Pun showed, but it was enough to show he was the MC that could make the commerical world buy a record that was for the streets. Few MC's were as good, few MC's were as real or Raw, and we didn't even get to see the best Big Pun had to offer.

21. Lauryn Hill

Strongest album: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Face facts, some of the greatest emcees of all time are women. And the greatest woman emcee ever is Lauryn Hill. No Hip-Hop artist has as many grammies off one CD, no female artist can switch so naturally from rap lyrics to soulful singing, outside of Mr. Tupac Shakur, there is no one in rap music you can call a complete artist that's better than Ms. Hill. Her place is Hip-Hop history was solidified with her solo release, but it was her work with the Fugees that put her in that position. She ripped the mic in one of rap's greatest groups of all time, and she was the main reason for the groups commercial success. Even before the radio play, Lauryn Hill had the game on lock, well the Fugees were proving how great of a group they were. Nas even called Lauryn Hill the best MC in the world when talking about why he put her on his If I Rule the World track. She has peer respect like no other female rapper, and she has no ghostwriter. No female can touch her, and no can really say they are a better all around artist.

20. Andre 3000

Strongest album: Aquemini

Ok, so this was by far the hardest man to rank. Why, simple, his so different, and the impact he and Big Boi had on rap is hard to judge. But the bottom line is that no one can denie his place. 3000 is on a world by himself, and that makes it very hard to judge where he ranks. But with Outkast albums llike Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and Aquemini, to solidify his efforts with The Love Below, Andre is a proven emcee. The rap skills he displayed as a member of Outkast proved that he was to be seen as one of the greatest, and only 2nd to Scarface in the south. Now that he seems bored with rap, we are finally just beginning to see Andre at his fullest potential as a complete artist. His artist wings could possible spread beyond that of a 2Pac or Lauryn Hill, as Love Below proved that. Only time will tell.

19. Eminen

Strongest album: The Eminem Show (though some heads say Infinite)

You can't denie the white boy can rap. You also can front that he has skills. As leader of the D-12 crew, Eminem has tranform rap into a place that's even safe for white boys. A constent threat in a battle, Eminen is a true emcee, with the content and the commercial sense to know who to make a White America stand up and scream in horror. As he enters young American's head phones, Eminem makes sure most of his lyrics leave a make into his home country's conscience. The Blond Bomber, or Great White Hope is ready to surpass 'Pac is record sales, so it's just a matter of time, I say 3 years, that some people start to claim Mr. Mathers as the greatest rap artist of all time.

18. Chuck D

Strongest album: It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back

Whoever hates on this ranking did not live in the late 80's, or never heard of Hip-Hop then. Chuck D and Public Enemy dominated the rap world in the late 80's. With N.W.A. in the west, Public Enemy in the east, America had no clue to react. It is because of Public Enemy that America decided to try and end rap music, their lyrics set the chain reaction for protest, and people were praying for their downfall. Many great political rappers of today all look to Public Enemy as their base, groups like Dead Prez, Immortal Technique, and others all see Chuck D as the man that started what they are continuing. Chuck D, with his booming voice, used rap to make his message public, and started a movement. Using the powers of being a Mic Controller to his fullest potential, Chuck D had all minority America screaming Fight the Power.

17. Kurtis Blow

Strongest album: Kurtis Blow

The first commerically successful rap artist, Kurtis Blow was the trailblazer for Run DMC and The Furious Five. Kurtis Blow was able to take an art form that people thought was just a fad with the Sugar Hill Gang, and show people that Hip-Hop was here to stay. His skills were also very shape, especially considering this is the pre-Rakim era. The poverty-themed Hard Times off Kurtis Blow marked perhaps the first instance of hip-hop's social consciousness. Kurtis Blow's skills as an emcee never faded, though once Run-DMC changed the way commerical rap sounded, (ironic since Run served as Kurtis Blow's DJ) Kurtis Blow faded out of popularity. But always promoting the old school, rap can always trace it's roots, at least commerically, to one of the illest rhymesayers of all time.

16. Snoop Dogg

Strongest album: Doggystyle

With a flow that hypnotisted a generation, and a voice that eased into peoples minds, the violent stories from the streets of Long Beach were easy to listen to once Snoop Dogg was the emcee. The greatest find in Dr. Dre's history, Snoop Dogg is a bonified superstar. In person, his stage presents is second to none, and his connection with the fans, both in the suburbs and in the streets, is something many stars only dream of. For the last 6 years, Snoop has been the dominated star in the westcoast, and he has held his place down by coming out with great albums, Top Dogg and Last Meal, battling to keep his spot, Pimp Slap, and of course those commerical hits, Beautiful and Drop It Like It's Hot. Before that though, Snoop was a true Hip-Hop star, rhyming from the streets, and still making classic records that sold mainstream. Doggystyle is his peak, but his work on the Chonic is legendary. Lil' Ghetto Boy was a song that showed Snoop's realness, and his verse on Dre Day to Tim Dog showed Snoop as a creditable battler. After all these years, Snoop has truly paid the cost, and now he is the westcoast boss.

15. D.O.C.

Strongest album: No One Can Do It Better

How true the title of his debut album was. There were very few rappers that could rhyme like the D.O.C. The ghostwriter of Dr. Dre's for the classic album the Chronic, Eazy E on Eazy Does It and Straight Outta Compton, The D.O.C. was also the person who coached Snoop Dogg on how to write. In his own work, The D.O.C. only left us with one classic. The work of the Doc and the Doctor left you wondering what could have been. But had Biggie died without Life After Death, people would still argue him the GOAT, so I will put the D.O.C. as one of the great emcee's ever. D.O.C., Biggie and Big Pun all had their one classic debut, and left too early, but each of them showed lyrical skillz unrivaled in their era. There is no question, D.O.C. skills can match up with anyone, and his rhymes next to a Dre beat are better than Guru over Premier or CL Smooth over Pete Rock. The D.O.C. released albums after his accident, but in reality, it's No One Can Do It Better that truly judges him, as it's his true flow, it's him at his most lyrical, and it's a classic album. His work with N.W.A. backs his claim like Biggie's work with Bad Boy Records does him. And in the end, it's his ghostwriting of the Chronic and his coaching of Snoop Dogg that shows that The D.O.C. is truly one of the great lyrist of all time.

14. LL Cool J

Strongest album: Radio

OK, so he may not be the GOAT like he claimed. Though I was hoping he'd prove it in his G.O.A.T. CD. LL Cool J is the name that truly defines rap at it's most commerical form, but it's done so that it's still Hip-Hop. The great love songs leave the women wanting more, the hard battle lyrics leave guys trying to be him, and after 20 years his still doing it. LL is putting out records longer than anyone else, his still making women's panties wet and he flexes once in a while on a track to show his still one of the great battle rappers of all time. LL is a proven thing, one of his records will be top 10, one of his records will be played on the streets, and in the end you can't stop him from selling. His CD, Radio was just the beginning, as his battle with Kool Moe Dee showed that he can handle the best rapper from the old school era. Young and Cocky, LL Cool J cameback and knock out Moe Dee, MC Hammer and Ice T on one track. The battles are legendary, and the hits are still played today, and no one will ever forget LL Cool J.

13. GrandMaster Caz

Strongest album: Actually movie, Wild Stlye (no released albums)

Caz took DJing skillz to a whole 'nother level by incorporated rhyme skills. Caz is the first DJ to rhyme and cut simultaneously. In 1979, Caz became leader of one of the most influential rap groups, The Cold Crush Brothers. Sugar Hill Gang would go on to steal Caz's lyrics after Big Bank Hank gained a contracted rapping Caz's lyrics. The verse would then be on the song Rapper's Delight. This is why Jay-Z mentioned the Cold Crush in his own hit H to the Izzo. Caz also was in the Hip-Hop classic movie Wild Style, playing himself as the leader of the Cold Crush. Caz has been listed in the top 15 of many greatest MCs of all times list, and this one is no different. Caz style is actually heard by other rap greats like KRS-One and old school Big Daddy Kane.

12. Slick Rick

Strongest album: The Great Adventures of Slick Rick

Hip-Hop's great storyteller, Slick Rick can tell a story about anything. A lyrist at heart, he was able to use his rhymes to tell tales ranging from love, to children stories to a casual day. Slick Rick is key to anyone's knowledge of Hip-Hop, and Slick Rick is one of the best to ever grace the mic. Setting the way for people like Snoop Dogg and Outkast, Rick the Ruler set a style of his own, and was able to be one of the rear foreign born rappers to be a huge seller in the United States. His classic records still get air play in many real Hip-Hop stations, and many Hip-Hop historians agree that Ricky Ricky Ricky is on the greatest MC's of all time. Myself, I agree too, as Slick Rick was in my tape deck, and now is in my iPod. Slick Rick's stories are timeless, and the tales from the streets his created are Hip-Hop classics. Whoever questions this pick is not a true fan of Hip-Hop.

11. Kool G Rap

Strongest album: Road to Riches

In the Golden Age, their was only one question on everyone's mind in New York, who's the illest rhymesayer, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim or Kool G Rap. DJ Polo and Kool G Rap made hardcore Hip-Hop with Road to Riches. Kool G Rap is the godfather as rap groups like Mobb Deep and the Lox, and solo artist like Nore and Big Pun have followed in Kool G's foot steps. With his lyrical skillz proving him as one of the greatest, and his boosting style is pure Hip-Hop. But it's the hardcore violent tales that G Rap tells that makes him the legend he is today. G Rap connected with many of New Yorks intercities by telling his tales, his stories on wax. By putting out lyrics that inspired the next generation, G Rap came into his own by putting out, pure, hardcore Hip-Hop. His skills was compared to Rakim and Daddy Kane, and he started his own cult in Hip-Hop followed by CNN, Big Pun and Fat Joe, the Lox and Mobb Deep. What more can you ask from a legend.

10. Jay-Z

Strongest album: Reasonable Doubt

The man who took over the Hip-Hop world when Big died. He carried New York on his back, and he was able to put the rap game in a choke hold. His impact in Hip-Hop carried over to pop culture, as he was the leader of the Bling Bling era of rap. There is no doubt that S.Carter was the King of New York up until his battle with Nas. From Reasonable Doubt to the Blueprint, Jay-Z was the man who's skillz were unmatched, and he became the Pied Piper of rap. He set the bar with hot singles to draw people to your near classic album. Jay was the first rapper that you'd see the latest gear to sport in his videos. Why was it the hottest gear, 'cause Hov was rocking it. The leader of the Roc-A-Fella crew bowed out with the Black Album. When that happened, he left a hole in the game. Like he said, he is to New York what Snoop is to the westcoast and 'Face is to Houston and the South. Jay was the one that dictated for his era how New York sound was. He was the one that said what a hot beat sounded like. And since he owned part of the Roc, he was his own A&R, and he picked his own beats without anyone telling him what to rap over. The man who changed the way we look at a King, as he elevated the game to highs never seen, no one will soon forget the new John Kennedy of Rap, after all he is the president of the label with the riches tradition, Def Jam Records.

9. Melle Mel

Strongest album: The Message

The original GOAT as many call him. Why did I call him that since the first time I heard the Message on the radio, and then got some old tapes. Melle Mel was the voice behind Grandmaster Flash, who Melle Mel says his still mistaken for. Songs like Beat Street, the original New York New York and of course The Message and White Line, Melle Mel's skills were unrivaled in the pre-Rakim era. Kurtis Blow, Run DMC and the Sugar Hill Gang may have been radio friendly, but Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were able to get radio play without having to be radio friendly all the time. Melle Mel's skillz are that, that today he'd be seen as one of the best lyrist of all time by the general public, and to many Hip-Hop heads, he is seen as just that. Since, many rap songs that have meaning can be traced back to Melle Mel's lyrics over Grandmaster Flash's beats. Public Enemy and N.W.A. were the next to follow the Furious Five's lead in putting out street issues on record. There is no question who has had a huge impact on what rappers rhyme about, and how to do it in a way to still get radio play. Melle Mel is truly a Hip-Hop legend, and that's an understatement. What Melle Mel has done for rap is the same as what Babe Ruth did for baseball, set the records. Rakim maybe Willie Mays and 2Pac and Biggie may fight over who is Barry Bonds, but there is only one standard setter.

8. KRS-One

Strongest album: Criminal Minded

Let's face it, KRS-One is one of the greatest rappers ever, and not only that, he is what is Hip-Hop. KRS is the elder spokesman for today's generation, and when someone like Nelly needs to be slapped, Kris is the one who has to do it. The former lead man to Boogie Down Production, KRS-One started out his career by crushing Juice Crew leader MC Shan and Marley Mar in the classic diss song, The Bridge is Ova. With that, everone knew that KRS is for real, and not to challenge the rapper from the Bronx. Over time he mellowed out, and his songs became more about education, Stop the Violence and even released the album Spiritual Minded. Once his DJ died, he carried Boogie Down Producation on his back, until he started releasing his own CDs. Songs like That's the Song of the Police and The Rapture got radio play, and KRS continued to make an impact on rap. Many rappers have followed KRS-One's lead, the most famous being 2Pac. In many interviews, 2Pac justifies his actions by using KRS-One's name. KRS has be key to many rappers blueprint, ask Jay-Z. In the end, you can't even argue with KRS being on anyone's top 10.

7. Big Daddy Kane

Strongest album: Long Live the Kane

He was to New York in 1988, 1989 what Jay-Z was in 2001. Kane was the original New York play, he wasn't a boy toy like LL Cool J was back in those day, Kane was a true PIMP. Kane was compared to Kool G Rap and Rakim as the greatest rappers from Hip-Hop's goldyn age, and his presents next to Rakim once sent a crowd in a frenzy as they wanted to see New York's two best rappers go toe to toe. Big Daddy was the play of that era that was grown up, he ran the charts, he had many people try to copy his style, and his lyrical skillz could have any backpacker repeating his songs just to listen to the lyrical beauty. Kane's smooth flow set the standard for how someone could rap slow. Though his career was compared to the great Rakim's, Kane often was in his own league. His flow was influencial to many and there was no doubt that Kane is a top 10 rapper in most everyone's list who knows anything about Hip-Hop.

6. Scarface

Strongest album: The Diary

When a man opens his diary, and you read, sometimes you see things that will make you cring. Scarface did just that when he finally went solo. The greatest rapper out the south, 'Face has since producted 2 classics solo, which follow his classic as a Geto Boy and his other albums have been strong. There is no question that 'Face is the one who influenced the region of the U.S. that now runs Hip-Hop. He was the original Southern thug, and since many followed his lead. He is the one that lead southern sound, and his unwillingness to commericalized left many fans even more inspired by him. Now that his legendary status is complete, there is little left for this rap great to do. So he released The Fix to add further to his legacy, and a Geto Boy reunion to give fans what they want. Whatever you say, the greatest rapper from the south lives in Houston and let everyone see his Diary. The King of the South is without a doubt one of the greatest rappers ever.

5. Ice Cube

Strongest album: AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted

The first rapper to be the most respected on both coast, the main rapper in the most controversial group of all time, N.W.A., the first rapper on the westcoast you can ever call King, and in his prime one of the most revolutionary and straight up hardcore rappers you'll ever hear. His the Don Mega, Ice Cube. When Eazy-E started N.W.A., he recruited Ice Cube as his main rapper, Dr. Dre to provide the beats and Arabian Prince to add the commercial appeal. What you had was the beginnings of not a group, but a movement. Arabian Prince trickled out, Dre talked Eazy into rapping with Ice Cube ghostwriting, MC Ren kicked his way in, and Ice Cube pissed people off with his verses on songs like Dopeman, Gangsta Gangsta, and Fuck the Police. But Cube seeing his contract ripping him off, decided to change labels, and since he didn't have Dre, he got the next best thing, the Bomb Squad. Something about the most controversial rapper on the westcoast hooking up with Public Enemy and their producers seemed so right. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted was released and a new single star was born. N.W.A. dissed Ice Cube to try to take back their thunder, and what they got back was No Vaseline, Ice Cube introduced the Lynch Mob, and he became the Nigga That You Love To Hate. Cube's skills are above average, but his voice pushes his raw lyrics into your head and makes you feel how powerful words can be. He message was something never heard before, as he mixed the street stories with political messages, and he is the rapper that most westcoast artist design their blueprint after. Since Cube, many westcoast artist use rap as a way to express street lyrics with a social political message. Cube was the original king of the westcoast, and is one of the greatest rappers to ever touch the mic.

4. Notorious B.I.G.

Strongest album: Ready to Die

Biggie Smalls was one of the illest rappers to ever come out of Brooklyn, and he is the legend that many in New York will always compare each and every artist too. His skillz were as good as any other emcee in the history of rap, and he flow was so smooth that even the most diehard 2Pac fan has caught themselves rapping to Who Shot You? Though that horrible night on March 9th will always be remembered, and to some hurt Biggie's legacy, this is about the great career of Big Poppa. Biggie had New York believing again. Nas, Wu Tang, they all came out, but it was Biggie that New York embraced. The self proclaimed King of NY, the rapping Frank White became just that when Ready to Die dropped, and he laced verses on many other projects in New York. Biggies skillz were unmatched in 1996, when his battle with 2Pac hit it's peak. With Nas dropping It Was Written, which was a great album, but not up to Biggie's skillz, there was no question who was on top of NY. He then recorded Life After Death, and with the death of 2Pac in 1996, Biggie had much to talk about. Biggie's skillz seemed to be at his best, and his flow seemed to find it's self as each track was released since his career started. Life After Death was to finally hear Biggie be completely the rapper he was maturing to be. Though it's not a perfect classic that some say, he did release more classic tracks in that one album than most artist would ever in their career. With a career that was too short, you have to judge Biggie on what we had, and Biggie only left two of the greatest albums ever. With that, Big Poppa will always be seen as the King of New York to many people who remember the late great.

3. Nas

Strongest album: Illmatic

Had this list been done in 2001, people would riot at this high of a position. Funny that we almost every artist in here has had that bad album, Rakim had the Master, 2Pac has everything since his death, Ice Cube has the Peace Disc, and so on, we hated Nas for Nastadamus. No matter, in late 2001, he released Stillmatic, crushed Jay-Z who after Takeover seemed to have the crown of New York on his head, and killed all critics. The margin of number 4 and 3 was very close, but Nas got better than Big because Illmatic is one of the few albums you can say was better than Ready to Die. It was very close. But cement Nas's spot as one of the greatest rappers ever, his battle with Jay-Z put Nas at a level that no active living rapper can compare with. Nas was always the great hope that people felt would bring Hip-Hop back to it's Goldyn Era. In 1994, Illmatic had people proclaiming Nas the next Rakim, and Illmatic was his Paid In Full. Nas continuted the trend with It Was Written, and I Am... With that, Nas was a top rap superstar, and his skillz were the most respected of all rappers living. With his slump though, no one could imagion Nas coming out of it. Then he shocked the world with Stillmatic. Though known for it's verbal lashing at Jay-Z, Nas also took a few shots at the United States government, in hopes of starting a new Hip-Hop movement post-9-11. Though no other artist followed the lead until 3 years later with the election at stake, Nas continued to be himself. God's Son and Street Disciple followed, and Nas is the one to beat in a battle if you want to prove yourself. A rap legend, and newest member to be an elder statesman, Nas has nothing left to prove. From Illmatic to now, Nas's skillz are second to no one in his active career's lifetime. The profit is the best rapper since 'Pac got shot, no questions asked.

2. 2Pac

Strongest Album: Makaveli - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory

The greatest rap artist ever. Dare I even say the greatest Hip-Hop artist ever. 2Pac was what happens when you put a spoken words poet, give them lyrical skills like KRS-One and tell them to rap what's on there mind. A very smart person who read many books, 2Pac also was that rapper that was violent, crazy and just pure streets. 2Pac was what happens when you mix books with streets, with the revolutionary mind set of the Black Panthers. 2Pac's skillz were proven on his Makaveli CD, as he put out one of the most lyrical, and mind blowing CDs of all time. Lyrics alone made that CD a pure classic, as his skillz blew his enemies out the water, and he still touched on topic like White Man's World and Crazy, and at the sametime just got on that other level that no one has ever reached with Blasphamy and Hail Mary. 2Pac's career will always be seen as one of the most complex careers, as he went from someone who rapped about revolution and teenage pregnacy to rapping about Thug Life and death. 2Pac's lyrics represented something more though, he put out the pain of intercity America, as he mentioned Mexican's and other minorities in his lyrics. He spoke from his soul, and his skillz allowed him to do it in a way no one else does. More lyrical that many rappers out the westcoast, and out the east as well, 2Pac said things that many felt, and said them in a way no one else could equal. His life made people step up there game, as Strickly For My N.I.G.G.A.Z. showed that you can have songs dealing with reality, and songs like Keep Your Head Up, have songs that are positive, and still be a huge seller during the gangsta rap era. Me Against the World was something that in 1995, Hip-Hop needed in the wake of the Gangsta Rap ear. His untimely death in 1996 left a huge hole in rap, one that the west has yet to fill 9 years later. His impact was greater than any rapper in history, except for the number 1 rapper, and since 1996, no one has came along that can rock the mic like Makaveli himself, 2Pac.

1. Rakim

Strongest album: Paid In Full

Was there ever any question. Rakim is the greatest MC in the history of rap. There is no one really that comes close. In his time, he was one of the biggest sellers, his commerical appeal was rival to Big Daddy Kane, lyrically the greatest rapper ever, and most ever rapper after him has chose to bit something from Rakim. Everyone from 2Pac, to Nas, to Snoop will show some tribute to Rakim sometime in there career. Before him, there is no rapper above Melle Mel, as Melle Mel set the standard. But since Rakim, ever rapper was force to step there game up and show that they can hang with the Micophone Fiend. Paid In Full, my man Knuckles ranked as the great Hip-Hop album ever, and I can't disagree. The song In The Ghetto might be the most powerful song discribing the ghetto, yet no cursing and put in a very lyrical contect. The first rapper to go 100 bars, (technically 99) and the only one to have all of those bars quality bars. There is no equal, and at this point in his career he doesn't need a Dr. Dre produced album to solidify his career like so many other rappers do. All Rakim needs is to show people how many rappers respect him, and how many bit his style and you will see that there is no equal to the man that defines being a lyrist. Before Eric B. for President, the standard was not set yet, since Eric B. for President, the standard was set higher than other rappers could imagion. Since, there has been a few rappers tha get close to that GOAT title. But in the end there will always be one.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 01:11:37 AM »
LMAO@"Infinite" being the worst thing someone heard...I swear to God, I have to laugh at least once when coming to the music sections on WCC..It's like tradition.

As for the question, you already know this one Doggy...When I judge an artist, I judge them based on the way they performed in their prime, and Eminem is a top 3 for me...PeACe