Poll

Which of the following will represent the next signature sound of the West, even if it's 3-5 years away?

Something that sounds very resmniscent to the 90's G-Funk, but just a grown up version. It will be just as laid back.
12 (19%)
Something that will grow from hyphy, and have more of a dance feeling to it, and may be more bare sounding than musical
2 (3.2%)
Something that will be sample based that may evolve from what the midwest and east are doing right now...but will have something distinct about it
4 (6.3%)
Something that will sound completely unique as the Neptunes and Timbaland did when they came out
2 (3.2%)
Something that won't really sound G-Funk, but will have strong west coast related elements mixed with elements of other coasts
16 (25.4%)
Whatever Dre does on Detox!
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: The next signature sound of the West Coast will be......  (Read 766 times)

GangstaBoogy

Re: The next signature sound of the West Coast will be......
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »
We need to let Lil Jon takeover the West Coast sound. He loves fuckin with Cali dudes and he sounds good with them.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »
this is my last opinion to this thread...

Producers needs to get together and make some dope music, new producers, and vets they need to sit down and see if they can come out with something I mean u have R-Tistic, Meech Wells,Battlecat,Josef Leimberg,Terrace Martin, XL Middleton,Michaelangelo  all those needs to get together and be a Team... and bring something new Im sure that something good and fresh would come out out of it

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 06:12:05 PM »
We need to get back to being musical innovators like where we used to be, like Short and Ant Banks in the late 80's early 90's, Digital Underground, ATL, Dre with Chronic/Doggystyle/2001 and Quik with Rhythmalism. We need to get back to the musical innovation that the west was once known for.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 06:59:32 PM »
I feel you R-Tistic, its about the sound not the subject matter.

I remember hearing a DJ Quik interview back in 2003 where he said that In Da Club was what he percieved the next generation of westcoast music sounding like. Unfortunately, that sound has not really been expanded upon - we've only gotten some knock-off tracks that try to emulate the sound, not take it to the next level.

I think the sound that the west needs to come with is something heavy hitting and a bit futuristic. I liked where Storch was back in 2002-2003, he was making some crazy shit that sounded 100% westcoast. He seems to have dumbed down his sound greatly to match the melodical and technical simplicity that the south has brought.

That being said, the question is which producer will step up to the plate and really find the sound that can bring the westcoast as a whole back? Lil Jon, hate him or love him, is a musical genius. When I say that, I don't necessarily mean his overall knowledge of music theory or any shit like that. I mean that he had a sound that typified the South and its crunk movement. He never wavered with it, and look at mainstream hip hop now...it is all a continuation of the sound he brought to the table. Kanye brought a soulful and gritty Chicago feel with his music and it caught on. That sound helped rappers like Common appeal to the masses - a rapper who's subject matter and image has basically stayed the same throughout his whole career.

Who is gonna really bring a sonic quality and take this westcoast shit to the next level? I don't see anyone right now outside of Dr. Dre creating some crazy signature sounding music. The problem is, after he re-invents the wheel (as we are all predicting him to do yet again), continuing that with the entire west coast.

Jome

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 07:46:34 PM »
LoL @ talking about DJ Quik, Lil Jon, hyphy, G-Funk, Terrace, Josef Leimberg, etc., when everybody is waiting on Dre to drop Detox to change the game again like he did with 2001, The Chronic, and various NWA albums. Nobody else on the West can influence a whole industry like Dre, only Dre and a select few on the East & South can do that.

Soulful

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2006, 07:59:28 PM »
LoL @ talking about DJ Quik, Lil Jon, hyphy, G-Funk, Terrace, Josef Leimberg, etc., when everybody is waiting on Dre to drop Detox to change the game again like he did with 2001, The Chronic, and various NWA albums. Nobody else on the West can influence a whole industry like Dre, only Dre and a select few on the East & South can do that.

^^real talk

SoCal Iz Active

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 04:27:56 AM »
the west coast should sample songs from The Gap Band, Kool and the Gang, and The Ohio Playaz.

Because no one has done that before right?  ::)

The problem is that people usually try to avoid samples because it takes money out of your pocket.

Diabolical

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 07:30:37 AM »
the west coast should sample songs from The Gap Band, Kool and the Gang, and The Ohio Playaz.

Because no one has done that before right?  ::)

The problem is that people usually try to avoid samples because it takes money out of your pocket.

It's called sarcasm.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »
5. "Something that won't really sound G-Funk, but will have strong west coast related elements mixed with elements of other coasts"
-I'd say that the main producers who've done this in the last few years would be Scott Storch and Lil Jon, who obviously aren't west coast producers, but have made beats that have catered to the west while keeping elements of the south and east. Many of these songs are dope as hell because of this, and it would make west coast songs adaptable to any region. These songs tend to have basslines mixed with heavy kicks, and many of them keep the high pitched synths and strings...but they sound different from what I put for #1 because they usually don't have as laid back of a vibe, and they sound more club or street sounding than some G-Funk.
Examples: Eastwood and E-40 "Bay To L.A.", Daz "Git drunk", Sly Boogy "That's my name", Snoop and Ice Cube "You gotta a lotta that", Ice Cube "Why we thugs" and "Child support", Crooked I "Boom Boom Clap", Too Short "Sophistocated",

I think this is the direction the west coast is heading down, at least with the newer artists.  Stortch and Lil' Jon will be big in this because the West Coast put these guys on, and they are more than willing to give back to those that helped them get their start.  Knowing this forum, not surprised at all by which way the votes are going.

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2006, 07:55:16 AM »
Detox's prolly gonna be the next signature sound of hip hop in general.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 08:11:54 AM »

this is what's wrong with rap...producers should be doing their own thing instead of waiting 4 years for Dre to come up with some beats.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »

this is what's wrong with rap...producers should be doing their own thing instead of waiting 4 years for Dre to come up with some beats.

good point

J Bananas

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2006, 03:38:05 PM »
they should start on some early 90's new york shit and say cali invented using old jazz records and drum breaks

WestCoasta

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »
I don't know... I feel too much time is spent on this topic when it's ultimately up to the recording industry

people need to grasp the concept

so that said, only Dr. Dre can bring some attention back to it

it's the only logical answer to this question

I don't exactly think he's the most talented producer right now

but he has power and people will eat it up no matter what

regardless, seems ya can't count against a new Dre cd, so we'll see what happens

what I would like to continue hearing tho, is sound #1
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 03:58:53 PM by west coa$t »

The Predator

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »

Dre sets trends.

The west always had it's own sound.

When G-funk became the sound of the west, a few groups outside of G-funk like Cypress still put out thier own westcoast sound.

Detox will change the game, just like Dre has done several times before.

But hip-hop in general should become more musical, that will be a great future for the sound.