Author Topic: Bonzi Wells to DENVER NUGGETS in Three Team Deal...?  (Read 720 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Bonzi Wells to DENVER NUGGETS in Three Team Deal...?
« on: September 26, 2006, 12:21:18 PM »
Bonzi to Denver in Three Team Trade?

By Travis Heath
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Sep 25, 2006, 13:39 

Bonzi Wells' long stint as a free agent should come to an end this week.  That has to be welcome news to all parties involved since Wells has seemingly been on the market for a longer total duration than like three of Jennifer Lopez's marriages.

Charlotte, Miami, Houston, and Denver are all said to have serious interest in the shooting guard. 

According to a number of sources, the Bobcats have a great deal of interest but will not sign him to a contract unless they can find a taker for Melvin Ely.

Miami would offer Wells the chance to play on a bona-fide winner, but whether or not he would be guaranteed a staring position is anyone's guess with guards Jason Williams and Dwayne Wade already penciled in as the starters.

Houston offers possibilities as well, but they are not a team who has fared very well in the win-loss column of late.

Perhaps the team that could offer Wells the most is the Denver Nuggets, especially in light of recent developments

According to a well informed source close to the team, the Nuggets are currently involved in trade discussions for Wells.  The deal would involve the Kings, the Nuggets, and a third team.  The Nuggets would move out one of their many bigs in the deal, presumably to the third team in the package since the Kings reportedly don't want to take on any additional salary.

Such a deal would help Wells on several fronts. 

First, it would allow him to get the type of money he has been seeking since free agency began earlier this summer.  All of the other teams in the Wells chase are reportedly trying to offer him low-dollar deals for only a single season.  Considering the amount of money that Denver's post people make, if the Nuggets were able to consummate a three team deal that landed them Wells, the contract Wells would sign before being traded would almost certainly be more lucrative than what any other interested team could offer directly.

Moreover, Wells would instantly be penciled in as the starter for Denver at a position the Nuggets have been coveting a talented veteran player for nearly two years.

So in essence, this deal would ultimately provide Wells with everything he has sought -- playing time, a hefty chunk of dough, and a chance to play for a winner.

The source wasn't specific as to which big the Nuggets would move out in the deal, but one has to believe that Kenyon Martin would be near the top of the list since he has been on the block since the end of last season.

Whatever happens with Wells, expect it to happen in the next few days before training camp opens next week.

And if Wells doesn't end up in Denver, it certainly won't be for lack of effort.

I think the trade will be Kenyon Martin to the Bobcats, Melvin Ely to the Kings, and Bonzi Wells to the Nuggets...If this trade goes down, it'll really toughen up the competition in the west. I honestly hope it doesn't, there's already enough elite teams on the left coast, and Lakers will be one of them...Here's how they'd look:

Nuggets:
PG Andre Miller...Earl Boykins/Julius Hodge
SG Bonzi Wells...JR Smith/Yakhouba Diawara
SF Carmello Anthony...Reggie Evans/DerMarr Johnson
PF Joe Smith...Eduardo Najera/Linas Kleiza
C Marcus Camby...Nene/Jamal Sampson

Kings:
PG Mike Bibby...Jason Hart/Ronnie Price
SG Kevin Martin...John Salmons/Quincy Douby
SF Ron Artest...Fransisco Garcia/Corliss Williamson
PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim...Kenny Thomas/Melvin Ely
C Brad Miller...Loren Woods/Vitaly Potapenko

Bobcats:
PG Raymond Felton...Brevin Knight/Kevin Burleson
SG Gerald Wallace...Matt Carrol/Alan Anderson
SF Adam Morrison...Bernard Robinson
PF Emeka Okafor...Kenyon Martin/Sean May/Othella Harrington
C Primoz Brezec...Jake Voshkul/Ryan Hollins
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:25:11 PM by Now_I_Know »

GangstaBoogy

Re: Bonzi Wells to DENVER NUGGETS in Three Team Deal...?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 12:24:25 PM »
IF that goes through, the nuggest are finally gonna win more than 1 game in the playoffs. bonzi is a fuckin beast
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 01:46:31 PM »
IF that goes through, the nuggest are finally gonna win more than 1 game in the playoffs. bonzi is a fuckin beast

Exactly! he bring such toughness that Denver needs. Damn that would be huge for Denver. The kings should have kept trying to resign him instead of getting Salmons  :-\
 damn i dont like denver getting this much better.

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:57:33 PM »

I guess the Kings main focus at the 2 was the development of Kevin Martin, who seems to have a pretty bright future...

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »

I guess the Kings main focus at the 2 was the development of Kevin Martin, who seems to have a pretty bright future...

yeah i agree with that completly he is gonna be real good. But losing Bonzi's toughness and defense is rough.
I do think Martin can put up as good of numbers if not better. He avg 13 pts last year and when he started he usually scored about 20 a game. and he was really good in the playoffs too. But Martin cant rebound like Bonzi who was really our best rebounder last year.

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 02:06:54 PM »

yeah i agree with that completly he is gonna be real good. But losing Bonzi's toughness and defense is rough.
I do think Martin can put up as good of numbers if not better. He avg 13 pts last year and when he started he usually scored about 20 a game. and he was really good in the playoffs too. But Martin cant rebound like Bonzi who was really our best rebounder last year.

LOL...I didn't even know Sacramento was your team. You guys have some decent rebounders, but yea, Wells will be a pretty big loss...PeACe

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 02:10:48 PM »

LOL...I didn't even know Sacramento was your team. You guys have some decent rebounders, but yea, Wells will be a pretty big loss...PeACe

yeah they are. yeah we have some good athletes like Kenny Thomas who rebounds well along with Shareef and Artest rebounds too.
Brad Miller is way to soft and needs to step it up on defense and he needs to grab more boards, he doesnt even jump off the ground, he makes me so mad  >:(
But it was like Bonzi always got the BIG rebounds and in teh playoffs he killed the Spurs on the offensive boards. But i will admit once we got Artest our Reboudning GOT MUCH BETTER, it used to be one of our biggest weaknesses..shit in 04-05 we lost in the first rd to SEA cuz they kept getting off reb after off reb....

The Best of 3 Worlds

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 03:04:08 PM »
the maloofs are idiots for not re-signing bonzi. fuck kevin martin. bonzi put up 23 points and 12 rebouns in the playoffs against the spurs! pay the dude whatever he wants.

the kings with artest, bibby, and wells for a whole season = atleast a number 6 seed. keep in mind they were number 9 or 10 before artest went to sac.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 03:05:56 PM »
the maloofs are idiots for not re-signing bonzi. fuck kevin martin. bonzi put up 23 points and 12 rebouns in the playoffs against the spurs! pay the dude whatever he wants.

the kings with artest, bibby, and wells for a whole season = atleast a number 6 seed. keep in mind they were number 9 or 10 before artest went to sac.
better then that

and saying fuck Martin means you didnt watch teh dude play...Bonzi was only healthy half the year too you gotta remmeber that..hes injury prone...
Martin will avg 15-20 a game this year and bring such a spark

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 05:16:39 PM »

You don't watch a lot of basketball, Wells is known as an underachiever who puts in an extra effort when it's contract year...That's why no teams fucked with him...Kevin Martin starting > Bonzi Wells starting.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 11:04:01 AM »

You don't watch a lot of basketball, Wells is known as an underachiever who puts in an extra effort when it's contract year...That's why no teams fucked with him...Kevin Martin starting > Bonzi Wells starting.
yeah. and he was only "Really Good" for the 6 games against the Spurs, really 5 because game 6 he didnt play that well.
He was hurt half of last year, and before the playoffs, nobody said anything about him because in the season he was a lil above avg player that wasnt overly missed when he was out because of Kevin Martin and dont forget Francisco Garica has a nice future as well. he is a very good defender and can hit the three. I do think Martin will be better however

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
Well, either way...He landed in Houston:

Agent: Wells agrees to two-year deal with Rockets

Bonzi Wells, the last significant free-agent talent on the market, agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, according to his agent.

Wells holds a player option for the second year and fully plans to re-enter the free agent market next summer.

"This isn't about the money, this is about being in the right place," said Wells' agent, Merle Scott of BDA Sports.

After turning down a five-year, $36 million offer from the Sacramento Kings last month, Wells fired his agent, Bill Phillips, and hired Scott a few weeks ago. Attempts to work a sign-and-trade that might've allowed Wells to match or improve the Kings' offer failed because Sacramento refused to take back any salaries after signing John Salmons with the money refused by Wells.

"We never talked about the Sacramento offer because that was gone and that wasn't going to change," Scott said.

Wells' loss is clearly Houston's gain. Wells left both Portland and Memphis after being portrayed as a malcontent, but his 13.6 points and 7.7 rebounds in 52 games with the Kings last season and a strong first-round playoff performance against San Antonio restored some of his luster. Wells and Ron Artest were a devastating forward combination and Artest personally lobbied for the Kings to re-sign Wells. Sacramento held Wells' Bird rights, meaning they could've paid him whatever they chose but drew the line with their offer slightly better than the mid-level exception.

Wells, a source said, originally wanted Phillips to land him a $50 million deal.

Denver, Boston, Charlotte and Miami also made offers but the Rockets did the best job of convincing Wells he was needed. The recruiting contingent included Yao Ming, GM Carroll Dawson, assistant coach Tom Thibodeau, coach Jeff Van Gundy, personnel director Keith Jones and Tracy McGrady, who called Bonzi directly to make his pitch.

The Rockets go into training camp next week with a potential starting lineup of Rafer Alston, McGrady, Shane Battier (acquired in a draft-night trade for Stromile Swift and No. 8 pick Rudy Gay), Juwan Howard and Yao, with Wells as the sixth man, but if Wells plays as he did against the Spurs he could challenge Battier and Howard for one of the starting forward spots.

"Bonzi doesn't care about starting," Scott said. "He just wants to be some place he can contribute."

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 11:39:44 PM »
2 years 5 mill?  ???
hes so stupid he could have got more in SAC

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 11:47:53 AM »
2 years 5 mill?  ???

Sac offered a longer deal, while Houston gave him a player option on the 2nd year, meaning he can sign with another team this summer for the money he really wanted if he plays good this season and gets the offers...PeACe

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »
2 years 5 mill?  ???

Sac offered a longer deal, while Houston gave him a player option on the 2nd year, meaning he can sign with another team this summer for the money he really wanted if he plays good this season and gets the offers...PeACe

I dont think its gonna work....

The Best of 3 Worlds