Author Topic: AZ - Format (Video)  (Read 191 times)

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
AZ - Format (Video)
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:54:37 AM »
Is this video new???

http://www.youtube.com/v/YCvupVeD0-8

Cant wait for this new album, November 7th  8)

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: AZ - Format (Video)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 06:38:34 AM »
Yeah it's new.Great track, shitty vid tho.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:53:45 PM »
Great song, and I liked the vid.  If nothing else, it's different than everything else you see on TV.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »

AZ is a great lyricist, but this over reliance on scratched hooks gets tiresome, as a song writer he should be working on his hooks also. I get really perplexed when people dismiss poor hooks or lack of hooks as not being important when its a vital part of any song.

Invincible

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:54:02 PM »

AZ is a great lyricist, but this over reliance on scratched hooks gets tiresome, as a song writer he should be working on his hooks also. I get really perplexed when people dismiss poor hooks or lack of hooks as not being important when its a vital part of any song.

I didn't think they do scratched hooks anymore. It sounded right on illmatic but times are changin and you've got to move away from these scratched hooks. In my head i can't think of a song without a hook but you are right, they are vital.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 06:17:30 AM »
Great song, and I liked the vid.  If nothing else, it's different than everything else you see on TV.
I'd rather watch rappers going stupid wit their bling bling bullshit than watch AZ riding some fuckin merry-go-round.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 07:34:16 AM »
nice video!

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »
what are you talkin about, premo is the best dj ever, what would be a premo without scatch? yall not hip hop if u dont like scratch

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 11:19:57 AM »
Big Props! I love AZ no homo
This is the #1 song ive been listening to the most lately..His Flow is flawless

The Best of 3 Worlds

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
just watched the video. I thought it was tight. Very different then what you usually see. I just wish i could watch it in better quality

The Best of 3 Worlds

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 01:19:01 PM »
Its a really dope track and the videos alright, nothing special but its not like its terrible.

Dude complaining about scratched hooks should STFU, DJing is a backbone of hiphop and I'd much rather hear scratched hooks over stupid singsong style crap like most of rap thesedays anytime.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 04:28:07 PM »

What a fragile argument to come back at me with, Mobb Deep's early albums were revered by the hip hop community and their songs always had tight hooks. So much for this notion of if you don't like scratched hooks you dont like hip hop. Furthermore I know that is DJ Premo's trademark and didn't say I did not like scratched hooks, but it was more a general comment which was inspired I guess by the scratched hooks. Don't get me wrong I like AZ but why do so many of these lyricists hooks have to be scratched or just plan crap hooks? It is pathetic this entire argument that hooks are not important its a laughable statement, but I will be honest I don't like the scratched hook in this particular song. A great example of a scratched hooks is Devils or Dead Presidents, I really don't like it when a hook is scratched from several different hooks or parts of verses even. Anyways this is just my opinion but like I said claiming hooks arent important is total and utter bs.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 04:28:54 PM »
I'd rather watch rappers going stupid wit their bling bling bullshit than watch AZ riding some fuckin merry-go-round.

Not me.  I'd rather watch him do cartwheels in the mud than see the exact same bullshit rehashed over and over and over and over and over.

His reliance on scratched hooks?  Well I'm guessing you're talking about this and "The Come Up" both of which were produced by Primo.  It's pretty much his calling card.  And like someone else said, it's 1000x better than these so called rappers doing that tired ass R&B ass sing songy gay shit.

And word to someone else:  There def ain't enough scratching in hip hop today, especially mainstream.  Kind of a lost art :'(

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 04:33:31 PM »

What a fragile argument to come back at me with, Mobb Deep's early albums were revered by the hip hop community and their songs always had tight hooks. So much for this notion of if you don't like scratched hooks you dont like hip hop. Furthermore I know that is DJ Premo's trademark and didn't say I did not like scratched hooks, but it was more a general comment which was inspired I guess by the scratched hooks. Don't get me wrong I like AZ but why do so many of these lyricists hooks have to be scratched or just plan crap hooks? It is pathetic this entire argument that hooks are not important its a laughable statement, but I will be honest I don't like the scratched hook in this particular song. A great example of a scratched hooks is Devils or Dead Presidents, I really don't like it when a hook is scratched from several different hooks or parts of verses even. Anyways this is just my opinion but like I said claiming hooks arent important is total and utter bs.

Hooks are hooks - they can be great and they can be wack.  Lots of alleged hip hop today masquerades as real shit, when all they focus on is a catchy hook that they recite a dozen times in a song.  Hip Hop has had classic hooks, and there have also been classics that dont have true hooks.  I'm kinda like fuck a hook, there shouldn't be a prescribed formula to how to make a dope song.  If you've got a dope hook, use it.  But don't just force some bullshit hook on the track because every mainstream rapper today thinks it's the way to get on the radio / mtv / bet.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 04:40:23 PM »

I agree with what you are saying as far as it goes, I don't like hearing forced hooks either. What I was stating was that there is this perception that hooks arent important when they really are. Most classic songs have had a memorable hook.