Author Topic: John Legend  (Read 380 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: John Legend
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 06:48:52 PM »
Holy shit...A fuckin coincidence are you serious?  The dude got his name cuz he sounds like a legend?!? What the fuck does a legend sound like?

LOL, think what yall want, but it's an obvious play on John Lennon's name.  I'm not sayin the guy doesn't have talent, but he's got a gimmick whether yall acknowledge it or not.  He's rollin with Kanye who is no doubt talented, but the guy's best songs are complete and blatant ripoffs of shit from back in the day.  It's not on a sample tip, it's on a straight ripoff tip.  He samples like Puff used to sample e.g. not sample, but just jack and loop.

You cats are killin me here...

We Fly High

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
 Read this from VH1. They started calling him THE LEGEND first, and then John Legend.

With John Legend's Grammy debut only days away, the R&B newcomer hopes people won't judge him solely by his last name.

"People must think, 'This guy is so arrogant to call himself "Legend," ' but I didn't start it," the singer said. "People thought I sounded old-fashioned, kind of like those guys from another era, kind of like I had an old soul sound. They started calling me 'The Legend' [and then] 'John Legend.' "

Legend says he considered the moniker a joke until it became his calling card.

"I just kind of laughed it off when I first heard it. I was like, 'Yeah, that's cute,' " said the singer born John Stephens. "But people kept calling me that, and it spread. People would introduce me as that. They'd play my records for other people and say, 'Yeah, that's John Legend.' Before I knew it, all these people knew me as John Legend, so I had to kind of decide, 'Am I going to get rid of this name?' Now it's there, and I've got to deal with it. It does put a little pressure on me, but I like pressure, so it's cool."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:29:49 PM by Justin »

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 10:13:19 PM »
Holy shit...A fuckin coincidence are you serious?  The dude got his name cuz he sounds like a legend?!? What the fuck does a legend sound like?

LOL, think what yall want, but it's an obvious play on John Lennon's name.  I'm not sayin the guy doesn't have talent, but he's got a gimmick whether yall acknowledge it or not.  He's rollin with Kanye who is no doubt talented, but the guy's best songs are complete and blatant ripoffs of shit from back in the day.  It's not on a sample tip, it's on a straight ripoff tip.  He samples like Puff used to sample e.g. not sample, but just jack and loop.

You cats are killin me here...

You're trippin' man.
Don't be mad

kemizt

ABN

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 07:31:34 AM »
i dont like those r&b singing fags, like ne-yo, mario, john legend and stuff...they soundin like some dude with their ballz cut off  ::)
these "fags" fucks more girls every month then you´ll do in your entire life.

ur gaymate legend has been epxosed man, accept the loss, ur words soundin like u on some hater shit

and @ that fool rambling john legend >>> john lennon, use a fool man, lennon did way more 4 musci then legend will ever do
Gaymate ::) how am i a hater? you´re the one that called those singers "fags" in the first place. and i just stated the obvious, and how has he been exposed? he makes dope music,makes a shitload of money and bangs supermodels and if that´s bein exposed then i wanna get exposed aswell.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 07:37:20 AM »
i dont like those r&b singing fags, like ne-yo, mario, john legend and stuff...they soundin like some dude with their ballz cut off  ::)
these "fags" fucks more girls every month then you´ll do in your entire life.

ur gaymate legend has been epxosed man, accept the loss, ur words soundin like u on some hater shit

and @ that fool rambling john legend >>> john lennon, use a fool man, lennon did way more 4 musci then legend will ever do
Gaymate ::) how am i a hater? you´re the one that called those singers "fags" in the first place. and i just stated the obvious, and how has he been exposed? he makes dope music,makes a shitload of money and bangs supermodels and if that´s bein exposed then i wanna get exposed aswell.

real talk

kemizt

kingwell

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2006, 10:44:09 PM »
Read this from VH1. They started calling him THE LEGEND first, and then John Legend.

With John Legend's Grammy debut only days away, the R&B newcomer hopes people won't judge him solely by his last name.

"People must think, 'This guy is so arrogant to call himself "Legend," ' but I didn't start it," the singer said. "People thought I sounded old-fashioned, kind of like those guys from another era, kind of like I had an old soul sound. They started calling me 'The Legend' [and then] 'John Legend.' "

Legend says he considered the moniker a joke until it became his calling card.

"I just kind of laughed it off when I first heard it. I was like, 'Yeah, that's cute,' " said the singer born John Stephens. "But people kept calling me that, and it spread. People would introduce me as that. They'd play my records for other people and say, 'Yeah, that's John Legend.' Before I knew it, all these people knew me as John Legend, so I had to kind of decide, 'Am I going to get rid of this name?' Now it's there, and I've got to deal with it. It does put a little pressure on me, but I like pressure, so it's cool."

I was just about to post this.  It was fun seeing this uneducated argument over the origin of his name.