Author Topic: Someone give me 1 valid reason to purchase a PS3. Anybody. Help me out here.  (Read 1977 times)

Trauma-san

Yeah, I play the o.g. Ninja Gaiden's, fuck the new ones.

I went to wal-mart last night and checked out their hdtv's.  Shit. 

I will not be buying one, mine looks better than that, sorry, that's just how it is.  If I need to buy an hdtv cable and an hdtv player and an hdtv sattelite hookup and an hdtv game console, how about I just keep what I got? It looks fine to me. 

In the meanwhile, you guys should stop by my house and play my Genesis/Master System/NES/SNES/N64/Dreamcast/Saturn/2600/5200/ Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 I have hooked up to my 200 dollar 27" t.v.  Looks fucking amazing. 

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Someone give me 1 valid reason to purchase a PS3. Anybody. Help me out her
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »
Yeah, I play the o.g. Ninja Gaiden's, fuck the new ones.

I went to wal-mart last night and checked out their hdtv's.  Shit. 

I will not be buying one, mine looks better than that, sorry, that's just how it is.  If I need to buy an hdtv cable and an hdtv player and an hdtv sattelite hookup and an hdtv game console, how about I just keep what I got? It looks fine to me. 

In the meanwhile, you guys should stop by my house and play my Genesis/Master System/NES/SNES/N64/Dreamcast/Saturn/2600/5200/ Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 I have hooked up to my 200 dollar 27" t.v.  Looks fucking amazing. 

Come on man stop lying. Have you ever seen a working 360 on a hdtv? If you have ever seen that youll understand what were talking about.

Don Seer

he's not saying its not better.. he's showing its a trap.. using old equipment on HDTV makes your old shit look wack as it shows the flaws..

if you're not moving all your shit to HD.. whats the point in spending more on something that makes your old shit look bad that you won't fully use unless you spend 1000s more.

so flip that..

if you're only buying a console and don't have HDTV.. whats the point in going for a console that you need to spend 1000s on a tv to make look any good? (ok with the 360 you can use a PC monitor/flat or not that supports the resolutions)..

they're trying to sucker people into an upgrade cycle.. think about it.. sony makes all the AV equipment that you'd need to get your HDTV fix.

Graphically

fully loaded PC > xbox 360 or ps3 > wii > xbox > ps2 / gamecube

PCs will always be ahead of the game.. BUT.. shit i spent 270 pounds on my last pc graphics card JUST to play doom3 really..(i was running a bare bones intel onboard 2d thing until then)...  i got bored of it within a week.. the wii is 180 plus i'm spending another 90 on bits.. oh look.. 270 pounds .. so roughly the same cost! 1 pc gfx card vs console with 5 games + buying 10 more (thats wii play + red steel + zelda) for another 90 ish..

they're trying to turn these games consoles into pc's.. microsofts influence on the game no doubt! it aint happening in my house!

my pc is for the internet n shit.. my wii will be for games.. thats it!

i remember back in the day the argument was "how many colours is it".. 8bit, 16 bit n all that.. now its full colour.. just screen size/resolution going up...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:06:42 AM by Seer - San »

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2006, 08:14:09 AM »
Well were being forced into HD, but to be honest i dont mind. Im just waiting till 2007 to buy mine HD. Its a new progress in the tv, gaming etc business, and its a good one. Its a step further on gettin foto realistic games. Especially when PS3 is dropping with 1080P, thats gonna be crazy.

But he's right its not logical to buy an HD tv if you dont have a 360 or PS3, or the otherway around. Im one of those who bought a 360 without a HD tv, just because i couldnt afford a new pc at the time. I dont have no regrets, cuz the main thing for me was to play all the newest games, with no problems. Off course i rather have a new pc, but just a good video card is more expensive then a 360.
But think about it, your gettin for 400 euro a fully loaded PC, dedicated for playing games. What do you want more?

Its a good move from Nintendo for not competing on graphics but gameplay. I support them 100% thats why im also gonna buy a WI. But i probably gonna end up buying them all lol.

But the point is, HD is the future/next step (for now).

I dont understand what your point is. Do you mean you want everybody to boycot HD and continue on the same way?

Don Seer

nah but people are making it sound like HD = better games.. when HD doesnt make gameplay better.. and is actually making game development for consoles more expensive, harder, longer and reducing the size of games, but just decorating them better. things reach a point where they're not worth the effort. i believe we're nearly there. some PC games have taken yeaaaaaaaars to produce.. this doesn't wash in the console world.

i'm gonna get a HDTV.. either when my tv breaks or whatever.. and i may be sucked into a xbox360 down the line.. but only for a couple reasons.

1 - i use a hacked xbox to stream movies (mostly skate videos and downloaded music videos) through on to my tv. its not got enough power to decode some videos.. so when a xbox360 is hacked.. and an XBMC equivalent comes out.. then i'm down for it.. although equivalents are in the market place.

2 - tony hawks project 8

HDTVs are just a merging of PC flat screen tech and TVs.. more money for old rope.. the main thing is actually practical. they're smaller depth size, but are capable of being bigger + wider at the same time. a dual attraction but worthless until you have xbox360 + sky hd (or hd cable) + an upscaling dvd player or HD DVD/blue ray to drive it (which means relpacing your dvd collection just like you did frmo VHS to DVD right? lol) outside the screen size and space saving benefits you don't "gain" quality unless you spend another wedge of cash on components..

All PC monitors are capable of 1080p and have been for many years.. hell most newer high end laptops can do it.

HDTVs are here to stay and will be super common place soon.. the electronics stores have ditched their CRTs already..

On The Edge of Insanity

The only reason I'm not getting a HDTV is because I still want to use my "old" equipment, i.e. DVD player, video player, Dreamcast, PS1, Megadrive, without them looking shitty on the HDTV. The whole concept of HDTV is forcing people to buy all the new gear because it makes their old stuff look bad, the fact that they couldn't make it "backwards technology friendly" is stupid to me. SCART tvs didn't start making a standard aerial single look rubbish and RGB TVs didn't make SCART look bad, so why does the HDTV have to make any of these signals look bad? You're going to end up with a load of households who have a HDTV and a standard digital tv just so they can use all of their equipment.

Don Seer

part of the problem is colour bleed.

essentially there is a slightly bleeding of colours on standard TVs. whereas with HDTV/computer monitors (they're essentially the same shit).. things are so damn pixel perfect you get jagged edges on stuff where you'd never notice them on a normal tv.

this is then magnified by the increased size of the screens possible with flat screens (which CRT just wasnt capaable of)... so the pixelated edges on a similar screen size wouldnt be 'so' bad.. but look damn awful when you blow them up

so HDTV makes old shit look doubley bad

Trauma-san

O-san perfectly understood what I was saying.  I enjoy old things, I find value in something's intrinsic qualities, not it's newness or freshness.  I'm quite happy with the t.v. I have now, and I paid 200 dollars for it brand new.  10 years ago, I wouldn't have bought the t.v. I have now because it would have been 1000 dollars.  I'm well behind the curve and quite happy there.  There is no way I can justify spending money on an hdtv right now when so many of the things I use a t.v. for would have absolutely no benefit from it and would actually even look worse in many instances.  Just the other night I was watching a vhs tape of "American Hot Wax" that I taped off the television when I was like 8.  It wouldn't even be watchable on an hdtv.  I'm in a totally different league, I dont' drive a brand new car, I drive a 1969 mustang.  I don't run out and buy the newest nickelback cd, I go buy the new Chuck Berry greatest hits or something.  I have a record player from the 40's in my bedroom.  I bought a Donkey Kong arcade game monday from a guy for 50 bucks.  New technology does not impress me, and doesn't even interest me. 

Trauma-san

edit: the Wii is new technology, and impresses me as well as interests me, but that's because it has intrinsic value.  There is true, timeless creativity in the machine, and it carries the passion it's developers poured into it from their hearts.  Kind of like the guys who designed my timeless mustang, or the folks who made my record player's mahogany cabinet in the 40's, or Shigeru Miyamoto who developed that Donkey Kong arcade game I bought, timeless, true objects in a world full of bullshit and flashy imposters. 

Chief

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2006, 03:43:40 AM »
I WAS GOING TO DROP A COMMENT ON HOW SHIT NINJA GAIDEN IS, BUT MY POST GOT DELETED INSERTING THIS --->>> ::)

FUCK.

lol what did u not like about it? i seriously cant understand why someone wouldnt like it, not into action games or sumthin?

Some people didnt like it because it was to diffucult for them. Games are getting to easy these days, so people start crying when a game gets a little more difficult. But Ninja gaiden doesnt even come close on how difficult games were back in the day.

correct me if i'm wrong... but all you do in ninka gaiden is press jump and attack button ???

Don Seer

^ which version of ninja gaiden did you last play???

Trauma-san

His was red and shit.  LOL

Chief

ninja gaiden on x-box... it was crap, all you do is run around levels, that all look similar, and press one attack button, and theres probably a special button too..

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2006, 02:26:37 AM »

ninja gaiden on x-box... it was crap, all you do is run around levels, that all look similar, and press one attack button, and theres probably a special button too..

Did you finished the game?

Don Seer

i didn't coz my xbox harddrive died.. oh what a same i had to update it to an 80 gig one  :D