Author Topic: The South Is Mad At Nas  (Read 9713 times)

Efrain

Re: The South Is Mad At Nas
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »

Please clarify for everyone, are you stating fact or opinion?

It's a fact that you are referring to Lil Jon and Crunk music that is played in Clubs. It's a fact that there's other types of Crunk that are not aimed for the Clubs. It's a fact that a person who only knows Crunk by whats on MTV or the Radio, they only see one side: The Club.

So in your mind Crunk music is not a sub-genre of hip-hop primarily for the clubs, but rather an entire genre of music in itself, containing subdivisions within it.

Correct?

You claim the term Crunk encompasses not only the form of southern club music, but also a more street directed, socially conscious side that lacks the shortcomings of it’s more well known and successful co-part.

Correct?

Well then SGV it seems you have your work cut out for you considering not only does conventional wisdom completely disagree with you, but the people who’ve actually pioneered the music couldn’t disagree more.

Lets quickly go back to that wikipedia reference of yours and check the first paragraph you so conveniently overlooked. 

“Crunk is classified as a subdivision of Dirty South, Southern rap, and Memphis rap and is an outgrowth of Miami-based Miami bass and New Orleans bounce music… Unlike the East Coast style of hip hop, crunk has a high-energy and club-oriented feel. While other hip hop styles might involve a more conversational vocal delivery, crunk usually involves hoarse chants and repetitive, simple refrains. Lyrics are based on a rhythmic bounce, which is very effective in a club environment… others say that the music is specifically designed for the rowdy clubs in which this style thrives, and that it serves its purpose well for that scene, in which sophisticated music is not necessary. [/b]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crunk

It’s funny, I  know I’ve heard similar descriptions of Crunk music before.. oh yeah, that’s essentially every-fucking-thing I’ve been saying verbatim since this ridiculous conversation started. But I digress, let’s continue. How do the artists themselves characterize and define Crunk music.

"My definition of crunk is Lil Jon," says Kaine of Ying Yang Twins, one of the string of Atlanta acts that rode the crunk train up the pop charts this year.

Crunk, for anyone who hasn't kept up on recent pop trends, is a hip-hop sub-genre emanating from the clubs of Atlanta. It's music designed specifically to get the testosterone boiling -- high energy, headbanger hip-hop, better suited for the mosh pit than the V.I.P. area. Its m.o. mainly revolves around cheap beats and impossibly booming bass, catchy call-and-response chants and ferocious roars.
[/b]

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A13862

Lil Jon: "Crunk music is something parallel to rock 'n' roll or punk rock because of the energy it gives you," says Lil' Jon in an interview with USA Today. "It's designed to get you hyper and to get the party off the hook. The music is so powerful, you can't deny it. " Crunk artists "don't give a damn about being the best rapper. It's all about saying something that's going to get people crunk in the clubs," he continued.

http://sohh.com/articles/article.php/4914

A lot of rappers are always about, "Check out my lyrics. I’m deep." You are more about having fun. Why do you think you’ve be able to survive without being lyrically driven?
Lil Jon: We just make records for the clubs, that the DJ’s love to play because we’re going to get the club crunk. We just make records that make the club get hot, man.
[/b]

http://www.murderdog.com/archives/liljon/LilJon&TheEastSide2.html

What are you into spinning right now?

Lil Jon: Dancehall, Hip Hop, R&B, same shit…whatever gets the club to get rowdy

Really, R&B? That’s not too Crunk

Lil Jon: Yeah, I like all types of music though, you know what I’m saying.. Music fits you for different moods you are in. If I’m chillin,’ riding around the city cruising, I might be bumping some A Marie, if I’m trying to get Crunk I might put in Project Pat or Baby D…it just depends.

http://kludgemagazine.com/interviews/Lil_Jon__The_East_Side_Boyz/2002-11-18/

And lastly, let’s check in with Three Six Mafia and find out how they define Crunk and what they think of Lil Jon being labeled the “King of Crunk.” They, after all are the people you claim are part of the real, non-club side of Crunk music.

LegBreaka: How do you feel about Lil’ Jon calling himself the “King of Crunk,” when so much of the music you all have been putting out over the years is so similar?

DJ Paul: I get this question all the time, people have it confused. Lil’ Jon calling himself the “King of Crunk” is fine. Our music was never called Crunk, it’s called Get Buck music. When we used the slang term ‘crunk,’ we mean, it's crowded. I just came out of the KFC and I would tell the people coming in, you might not want to go in there because it Crunk in there.

http://www.allhiphop.com/features/?ID=1237

So just a quick recap. Three Six Mafia believes Lil Jon is in fact the king of Crunk, they themselves do not perform “Crunk” music nor do they feel being labeled as “Crunk” artists is appropriate.

Hmm interesting, but SGV I thought you said Three Six Mafia were the real creators of Crunk? Not only that but didn’t you also say they are a part of that non-cub form of Crunk that’s played in the street etc? You know, that type of Crunk music everyone else knows about and I’m ignorant to? Strange, it seems they think your notion is complete and utter bullshit.

Now, Lil Jon does believe Crunk music is for the clubs, where he purposely designs the music to be played and he himself admits it isn’t necessary to be lyrical, socially conscious or anything other than exciting the crowd. Not only that but he takes it a step further saying not only is Crunk music exclusively for the clubs, but when he himself is relaxing or “chilling” he’ll listen to something that better “fits the mood,” i.e. non-Crunk. Why? because Crunk’s sole and only function is to serve the club environment.

Three Six Mafia is not Crunk by their own admission, Lil Jon is the king of Crunk and represents the genre as such according to everyone and you sir are

OWNED

SGV

« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2006, 09:22:39 PM »

So in your mind Crunk music is not a sub-genre of hip-hop primarily for the clubs, but rather an entire genre of music in itself, containing subdivisions within it.

Correct?

You claim the term Crunk encompasses not only the form of southern club music, but also a more street directed, socially conscious side that lacks the shortcomings of it’s more well known and successful co-part.

Correct?

Well then SGV it seems you have your work cut out for you considering not only does conventional wisdom completely disagree with you, but the people who’ve actually pioneered the music couldn’t disagree more.

Lets quickly go back to that wikipedia reference of yours and check the first paragraph you so conveniently overlooked. 

“Crunk is classified as a subdivision of Dirty South, Southern rap, and Memphis rap and is an outgrowth of Miami-based Miami bass and New Orleans bounce music… Unlike the East Coast style of hip hop, crunk has a high-energy and club-oriented feel. While other hip hop styles might involve a more conversational vocal delivery, crunk usually involves hoarse chants and repetitive, simple refrains. Lyrics are based on a rhythmic bounce, which is very effective in a club environment… others say that the music is specifically designed for the rowdy clubs in which this style thrives, and that it serves its purpose well for that scene, in which sophisticated music is not necessary. [/b]

It’s funny, I  know I’ve heard similar descriptions of Crunk music before.. oh yeah, that’s essentially every-fucking-thing I’ve been saying verbatim since this ridiculous conversation started. But I digress, let’s continue. How do the artists themselves characterize and define Crunk music.

"My definition of crunk is Lil Jon," says Kaine of Ying Yang Twins, one of the string of Atlanta acts that rode the crunk train up the pop charts this year.

Crunk, for anyone who hasn't kept up on recent pop trends, is a hip-hop sub-genre emanating from the clubs of Atlanta. It's music designed specifically to get the testosterone boiling -- high energy, headbanger hip-hop, better suited for the mosh pit than the V.I.P. area. Its m.o. mainly revolves around cheap beats and impossibly booming bass, catchy call-and-response chants and ferocious roars.
[/b]

Lil Jon: "Crunk music is something parallel to rock 'n' roll or punk rock because of the energy it gives you," says Lil' Jon in an interview with USA Today. "It's designed to get you hyper and to get the party off the hook. The music is so powerful, you can't deny it. " Crunk artists "don't give a damn about being the best rapper. It's all about saying something that's going to get people crunk in the clubs," he continued.

A lot of rappers are always about, "Check out my lyrics. I’m deep." You are more about having fun. Why do you think you’ve be able to survive without being lyrically driven?
Lil Jon: We just make records for the clubs, that the DJ’s love to play because we’re going to get the club crunk. We just make records that make the club get hot, man.
[/b]

Lil Jon: Yeah, I like all types of music though, you know what I’m saying.. Music fits you for different moods you are in. If I’m chillin,’ riding around the city cruising, I might be bumping some A Marie, if I’m trying to get Crunk I might put in Project Pat or Baby D…it just depends.

And lastly, let’s check in with Three Six Mafia and find out how they define Crunk and what they think of Lil Jon being labeled the “King of Crunk.” They, after all are the people you claim are part of the real, non-club side of Crunk music.

LegBreaka: How do you feel about Lil’ Jon calling himself the “King of Crunk,” when so much of the music you all have been putting out over the years is so similar?

DJ Paul: I get this question all the time, people have it confused. Lil’ Jon calling himself the “King of Crunk” is fine. Our music was never called Crunk, it’s called Get Buck music. When we used the slang term ‘crunk,’ we mean, it's crowded. I just came out of the KFC and I would tell the people coming in, you might not want to go in there because it Crunk in there.

So just a quick recap. Three Six Mafia believes Lil Jon is in fact the king of Crunk, they themselves do not perform “Crunk” music nor do they feel being labeled as “Crunk” artists is appropriate.

Hmm interesting, but SGV I thought you said Three Six Mafia were the real creators of Crunk? Not only that but didn’t you also say they are a part of that non-cub form of Crunk that’s played in the street etc? You know, that type of Crunk music everyone else knows about and I’m ignorant to? Strange, it seems they think your notion is complete and utter bullshit.

Now, Lil Jon does believe Crunk music is for the clubs, where he purposely designs the music to be played and he himself admits it isn’t necessary to be lyrical, socially conscious or anything other than exciting the crowd. Not only that but he takes it a step further saying not only is Crunk music exclusively for the clubs, but when he himself is relaxing or “chilling” he’ll listen to something that better “fits the mood,” i.e. non-Crunk. Why? because Crunk’s sole and only function is to serve the club environment.

Three Six Mafia is not Crunk by their own admission, Lil Jon is the king of Crunk and represents the genre as such according to everyone and you sir are

OWNED

LMAO @  Your quotes. You quote Lil Jon almost each time (or quote about Lil Jon), who obviously makes the Crunk music you speak of. Then, you quote wikipedia, which states Memphis was the birthplace of Crunk. A source that also claims:

"Three 6 Mafia (formerly known as Triple Six Mafia), is the first hip hop group from Memphis, Tennessee to go platinum, the second hip-hop act to be nominated for and win an Oscar (1st was Eminem's "Lose Yourself"). They are the originators of certain types of crunk music. "

But, then you go ahead and contradict your source with a DJ Paul quote.

So let me show you a DJ Paul quote to "own" you:

"The rest of the album, however, is a wide-ranging mix - with Paul's experimental ideas sharing time with the thuggish Three 6 fans have come to love, with bass-heavy Memphis-syle beats and club shaking chants. "Jus Like Us" is a brutal broadside against heads that bite off the Three 6 style. "Barrin' You Bitches" combines addictive rhythms and infectious sounthern style textures. "Those are the crunk type of songs," Paul said. "

http://www.sonymusic.com/labels/loud/home/36mafianews.html

By his OWN admission they have Crunk tracks. Sorry.

Here's another source stating theyre the originators:

"They are famous for being pioneers of the crunk sound, as well as being the first rap artists from Memphis to go platinum."

http://www.artistopia.com/three-6-mafia

So yeah... Sorry dude.

Efrain

« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2006, 09:28:43 PM »

Correct?

Correct?

[/b]

[/b]

OWNED

LMAO @  Your quotes. You quote Lil Jon almost each time (or quote about Lil Jon), who obviously makes the Crunk music you speak of. Then, you quote wikipedia, which states Memphis was the birthplace of Crunk. A source that also claims:

"Three 6 Mafia (formerly known as Triple Six Mafia), is the first hip hop group from Memphis, Tennessee to go platinum, the second hip-hop act to be nominated for and win an Oscar (1st was Eminem's "Lose Yourself"). They are the originators of certain types of crunk music. "

But, then you go ahead and contradict your source with a DJ Paul quote.

So let me show you a DJ Paul quote to "own" you:

"The rest of the album, however, is a wide-ranging mix - with Paul's experimental ideas sharing time with the thuggish Three 6 fans have come to love, with bass-heavy Memphis-syle beats and club shaking chants. "Jus Like Us" is a brutal broadside against heads that bite off the Three 6 style. "Barrin' You Bitches" combines addictive rhythms and infectious sounthern style textures. "Those are the crunk type of songs," Paul said. "

http://www.sonymusic.com/labels/loud/home/36mafianews.html

By his OWN admission they have Crunk tracks. Sorry.

Here's another source stating theyre the originators:

"They are famous for being pioneers of the crunk sound, as well as being the first rap artists from Memphis to go platinum."

http://www.artistopia.com/three-6-mafia

So yeah... Sorry dude.

SGV

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2006, 11:04:49 PM »
Here's another person stating that Three Six are the Pioneers of Crunk.

When the originators of crunk (sorry, Lil Jon) Three Six Mafia win an Oscar and perform at the award show and the Smithsonian Institution announces the addition of a hip hop memorabilia collection at their National Museum of American History all within the space of a week, it seems pretty clear that the absolute co-option of hip hop culture into the mainstream is just about complete.

http://differentkitchen.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_differentkitchen_archive.html

"Charles Garrett says “Man you guys broke my f–kin heart. I love you guys. Your old s–t is too damn crunk but I hope you guys dont sellout."

http://blogspot.memphisrap.com/blog/memphisrap/2006/10/26/three-six-mafia-you-broke-my-fkin-heart/

Winners of Academy Award for their song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," the innovator of the "crunk" sounds of southern rap, and CEO of Hypnotize Minds, D.J. Paul and Juicy J kicks off the first ND Radio Urban show. They talk about their role as producers, rappers and most importantly advocates for Memphis music.

http://www.memphismusic.org/programs_NDRadio.asp

Juicy J Clarifying Buck Music:

"DJ Paul, another member of Three 6 Mafia who shares production credit and is also featured on the album breaks it down a little more. "The real folks know who we are from even before "Tear Da Club Up" and some of the people may just be up on it now." Juicy J traces a brief history of crunk music and why Three 6 Mafia was instrumental in its current popularity. "When you're in your own state you have your own sound. We first started calling it ‘buck music' then that changed to ‘crunk' music. In the mid eighties when the Memphis scene was crackin' it all started with "Trigga Man". Then we just started doing our own thing." DJ Paul adds, "Like with one of the songs on Lil' Wyte's album, "Hoods Run Down" we include different bass tones-especially for cars and car stereo competitions but on Lil' Wyte's album the song is also talking about how people run the hood down.""

http://www.asylumrecords.com/artists/lilwyte/

But to really crush you:

"I call it the ‘Watch what you wish for album’ cause we fussed about not being known and getting credit for our role in Hip-Hop being the pioneers of Crunk and at that time, 15 years in the game,” said DJ Paul, who was surprised at the reaction to “Poppin’ My Collar,” the group’s follow up to its hit lead single “Stay Fly.”"

Your quote states that the music was NEVER called Crunk. Not that he didn't consider it Crunk music. Yes, their definition of Crunk was different than that of Lil Jon, but that doesn't mean they WEREN'T Crunk, as stated in the above quote. I hope you're done now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 11:11:40 PM by SGV »

Efrain

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2006, 11:19:02 PM »
I call it the ‘Watch what you wish for album’ cause we fussed about not being known and getting credit for our role in Hip-Hop being the pioneers of Crunk and at that time, 15 years in the game,” said DJ Paul,[/size] who was surprised at the reaction to “Poppin’ My Collar,” the group’s follow up to its hit lead single “Stay Fly.”"

Your quote states that the music was NEVER called Crunk. Not that he didn't consider it Crunk music. Yes, their definition of Crunk was different than that of Lil Jon, but that doesn't mean they WEREN'T Crunk, as stated in the above quote. I hope you're done now.

You are splitting hairs, there is only one kind of Crunk and you know it whether you admit it or not. Now provide the link for this quote of yours.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2006, 11:22:55 PM »
^^give it up man, I am sick of seeing you get owned, you have nothing, you never had anything in this argument, take the L and move on.

SGV

« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2006, 11:25:07 PM »
And since you seem to think Crunk is only for the Clubs and that I'm crazy to think otherwise:

"Those looking for crunk fight music need look no further than the rambunctious "Get Knocked The Fuck Out" or the rowdy "Posse Song (H.C.P.)." "

http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2005_09_mebeingme.html

DJ Paul on Body Parts:

"Tear Da Club Up was the first Crunk fight song
I made that in 92 a lil not long
"

http://www.lyricsclan.com/read.php?wow=1768545

Do I have to continue or do you want to look dumber? LMAO. I got two quotes directly shutting down your quote from Paul, which you didn't even comprehend correctly. hahahaha.

I JUST GOT OWNED

Yeah, I know you did. It's ok though. You couldn't do it on your own, not even Google helped you.

SGV

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2006, 11:28:06 PM »

You are splitting hairs, there is only one kind of Crunk and you know it whether you admit it or not. Now provide the link for this quote of yours.

Refer to my post before this for the "splitting" hairs part. Not only does another writer agree with me, but DJ Paul does as well. hahahahaha.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6168

I JUST GOT OWNED

hahahahaha

SGV

« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2006, 11:30:32 PM »
There you have it folks: Three Six Mafia originated Crunk back in 1992. There is such a thing as non-Club oriented Crunk, namely "Crunk Fight Music." And lastly, Efrain is an uneducated hater that has no knowledge of Southern Hip Hop, not even with the help of Google. hahahaha

westkoastanostra

« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2006, 11:32:26 PM »
I think this Efrain guy should delete his account and start over :-X

SGV

« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2006, 11:35:28 PM »
I think this Efrain guy should delete his account and start over :-X

:laugh:

I'm loving it. haha. Dude really thought he had something with that DJ Paul quote.  :laugh:

He was probably like "I got him now!!!"

Then he got smashed and changed his tune real quick on some:

You are splitting hairs, there is only one kind of Crunk and you know it whether you admit it or not.

Which then got smashed again. haha.

Efrain: Don't take a test you haven't studied for... You'll fail. Just like this thread.

ecrazy

« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2006, 12:03:11 AM »
Wow, Efrain, WOW.....
SGV unvirginized you

Efrain

« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2006, 12:25:02 AM »
I can’t believe you people are serious, he’s quoting lyrics from a song? LOL where’s the original quote you’ve got absolutely nothing!

SGV

« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2006, 01:23:38 AM »
I can’t believe you people are serious, he’s quoting lyrics from a song? LOL where’s the original quote you’ve got absolutely nothing!

LMAO. What... we can't use a song? LMAO! You're kidding me right? Is that not proof of DJ Paul stating that they originated Crunk music? haha. Anyway, here's the links to everything that backs up what I've been telling you.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6168

http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2005_09_mebeingme.html

http://www.lyricsclan.com/read.php?wow=1768545

http://differentkitchen.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_differentkitchen_archive.html

http://blogspot.memphisrap.com/blog/memphisrap/2006/10/26/three-six-mafia-you-broke-my-fkin-heart/

http://www.memphismusic.org/programs_NDRadio.asp

http://www.asylumrecords.com/artists/lilwyte/

Just admit that you got ripped apart here. Why make this continue? What more do you want?

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2006, 06:30:29 AM »
free post