Author Topic: The South Is Mad At Nas  (Read 9669 times)

da flayboyant 2

Re: The South Is Mad At Nas
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 01:47:43 PM »
how many TRUE classic albums can hip hop claim?

not that many considering other genres of music

how many TRUE classics can southern hip hop claim?

not many at all

now out of ALLLLLL classic albums in hip hop , which one rises to the top  universally on most lists?

Illmatic

so IMO nas has more authority to talk about the state of hip hop's current state then some E-R'ers whose lives revolve around being bar flies
i woulda said chronic because i didnt like illmatic. it doesnt sound fresh anymore. the chronic still sounds 2nd day fresh.

SGV

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »
Only on Dubcc...

Nas been talked about Money and shit. How is HE Hip Hop but T.I. isn't? Masta Ace been talked about Cars and shit, but he's Hip Hop and U.G.K. isn't? Tell Mos Def that dead prez ain't Hip Hop cuz they're from the South. If Wu-Tang's Hip Hop so is the Geto Boys.

You have gotta be kidding me. People can sit here and big up Kurupt, Daz, Goldie Loc, MC Eiht etc. etc. and you NEVER hear anyone say they're not Hip Hop. But a name like Bun B is brought up and you hear "Oh man, that's that South bullshit. That ain't Hip Hop." Idiot, Bun B will rap circles around your favorite Rapper.

Miss me with that bullshit "Only Scarface, Devin and Outkast are respectable." That's that politcally correct bullshit to not look like a Super Hater. That's the same shit ya'll said last year and the year before that. Plain and simple, you guys are upset to see music YOU don't like succeed, so the only way to fight it is say it's "Not Hip Hop." Who the fuck are you to say "Gangsta Rap" is not "Hip Hop"?

So, now N.W.A. isn't Hip Hop? KRS-One isn't Hip Hop? Some people are just dumb. Sugar Hill Gang made one of the first Hip Hop songs. Their song was full of lyrics that bragged about Money and Possessions. Slick Rick and Big Daddy Kane rocked tons of Jewels, but you guys consider them Hip Hop. L.L. Cool J is respected by EVERYONE and what did he do? Rap about Females. Let's be real... You guys don't know Hip Hop beyond 1998 and shit. Muthafuckas started listening when Eminem came out and felt they knew what "Real" Hip Hop was.

Tell me how ANY of these people aren't Hip Hop. I would like to hear it.

rik

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 01:54:37 PM »
Hip Hop is dead

SGV

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »
Still bringing up Illmatic for Nas is like still bringing up Doggystyle for Snoop. Yes, they made a great album. But, that album is more tha 10 years old. These dudes aren't spitting like that anymore. They're not making songs like that anymore. Nas cannot and will not ever make an album like Illmatic. No Nas album will ever get that much acclaim. Let's look at what's current. We're talking about the CURRENT state of Hip Hop, so what's relevent is what's current. NOT what happened 12 years ago.

WestCoasta

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 01:56:21 PM »
man there are some idiots up in here

I got some South shit in my collection, it doesn't matter where the fuck it's from

these guys saying it isn't "hip hop"... what the fuck is hip hop  something out of New York?

something with some weak ass beat?

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 02:03:25 PM »
Hip-hop is a genre of music, plain and simple (not including hip hop culture).

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 02:18:35 PM »
Only on Dubcc...

Nas been talked about Money and shit. How is HE Hip Hop but T.I. isn't? Masta Ace been talked about Cars and shit, but he's Hip Hop and U.G.K. isn't? Tell Mos Def that dead prez ain't Hip Hop cuz they're from the South. If Wu-Tang's Hip Hop so is the Geto Boys.

You have gotta be kidding me. People can sit here and big up Kurupt, Daz, Goldie Loc, MC Eiht etc. etc. and you NEVER hear anyone say they're not Hip Hop. But a name like Bun B is brought up and you hear "Oh man, that's that South bullshit. That ain't Hip Hop." Idiot, Bun B will rap circles around your favorite Rapper.

Miss me with that bullshit "Only Scarface, Devin and Outkast are respectable." That's that politcally correct bullshit to not look like a Super Hater. That's the same shit ya'll said last year and the year before that. Plain and simple, you guys are upset to see music YOU don't like succeed, so the only way to fight it is say it's "Not Hip Hop." Who the fuck are you to say "Gangsta Rap" is not "Hip Hop"?

So, now N.W.A. isn't Hip Hop? KRS-One isn't Hip Hop? Some people are just dumb. Sugar Hill Gang made one of the first Hip Hop songs. Their song was full of lyrics that bragged about Money and Possessions. Slick Rick and Big Daddy Kane rocked tons of Jewels, but you guys consider them Hip Hop. L.L. Cool J is respected by EVERYONE and what did he do? Rap about Females. Let's be real... You guys don't know Hip Hop beyond 1998 and shit. Muthafuckas started listening when Eminem came out and felt they knew what "Real" Hip Hop was.

That was one hundred percent on the money. This thread reminds me of what heads used to say over a decade ago "The only good hip hop out the west is heiro and pharcyde". Now yall are applying it to the south. It seems like things go in cycles.

Some of yall really need to study and understand the history of hip hop, and why hip hop was started in the first place, or you wouldn't be making these comments.

First off, hip hop is an expression of the frustrated and disenchanted black youth of the inner city, similar to Gospel, Blues, Jazz, Rhtym and Blues and Rock and Roll which predated it. Not only did these early hip hop heads party (i e Planet Rock) with those party james in the parks of NYC, but they also spit street science (i e The Message), which isn't that far off of many gangsta raps the followed.

When you talk about 4 elements, which is somethign that "true hip hop head backpacker types" always mention, those are simply an arm of what the core spirit behind hip hop, which is basically a means for the young black male to express himself and to make something out of nothing. It goes way beyond the way you rhyme, the way you put a beat together or any of that shit. When yall start screaming "real hip hop", you're completely missing the point. Just because they don't rhyme the way you're used to hearing, just because they don't party like you do or make music the way you're used to hearing does not make it any less authentic as it is still what it is at its core, poor young disenfranchised black youth trying to make something out of nothing, the whole reason why Afrika Bambaataa created the Zulu Nation which gave birth to hip hop in the first place.

So when yall say things like "this southern rapper isn't hip hop", look at the basics. Look back to the roots of this shit. Yeah, you will always have dope and wack artists. Therer will always be cats getting over on gimmicks, but to judge the south by Mike Jones is like judging New York because of Ma$e or the west coast because of MC Hammer.

Now go and listen to track 14, So Tired on DJ Hitek's album with Bun B, Devin, and Pretty Ugly and try to tell me that isn't hip hop.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

WestCoasta

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »
Now go and listen to track 14, So Tired on DJ Hitek's album with Bun B, Devin, and Pretty Ugly and try to tell me that isn't hip hop.

those people got the Hi-Tek album too

WC Iz Active

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »
Only on Dubcc...

I agree 110%.  I just named Devin, Face, Bun B and Wayne cause those are the only southern artists I really listen to right now. But I agree that they are all hip hop, to say they arent is absurd.

SGV

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 03:04:02 PM »

That was one hundred percent on the money. This thread reminds me of what heads used to say over a decade ago "The only good hip hop out the west is heiro and pharcyde". Now yall are applying it to the south. It seems like things go in cycles.

Some of yall really need to study and understand the history of hip hop, and why hip hop was started in the first place, or you wouldn't be making these comments.

First off, hip hop is an expression of the frustrated and disenchanted black youth of the inner city, similar to Gospel, Blues, Jazz, Rhtym and Blues and Rock and Roll which predated it. Not only did these early hip hop heads party (i e Planet Rock) with those party james in the parks of NYC, but they also spit street science (i e The Message), which isn't that far off of many gangsta raps the followed.

When you talk about 4 elements, which is somethign that "true hip hop head backpacker types" always mention, those are simply an arm of what the core spirit behind hip hop, which is basically a means for the young black male to express himself and to make something out of nothing. It goes way beyond the way you rhyme, the way you put a beat together or any of that shit. When yall start screaming "real hip hop", you're completely missing the point. Just because they don't rhyme the way you're used to hearing, just because they don't party like you do or make music the way you're used to hearing does not make it any less authentic as it is still what it is at its core, poor young disenfranchised black youth trying to make something out of nothing, the whole reason why Afrika Bambaataa created the Zulu Nation which gave birth to hip hop in the first place.

So when yall say things like "this southern rapper isn't hip hop", look at the basics. Look back to the roots of this shit. Yeah, you will always have dope and wack artists. Therer will always be cats getting over on gimmicks, but to judge the south by Mike Jones is like judging New York because of Ma$e or the west coast because of MC Hammer.

Pay attention kids... This shit is on point.

BallinNigga06

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »
yo lemme tell u summin reel quik... im from da souf n deez niggaz mad corny n not knowin where shitz comin from

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 04:07:14 PM »
yo lemme tell u summin reel quik... im from da souf n deez niggaz mad corny n not knowin where shitz comin from
where you from dog?

BallinNigga06

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »
Tampa

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 04:30:55 PM »
are you retarded or do you just type that way?

BallinNigga06

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »
nah man im str8